Some Questions & Thoughts on a Post-Niele Coaching Staff
by dillon77 (2019-08-06 00:09:02)
Edited on 2019-08-06 06:37:51

With Niele Ivey now headed to Memphis, a lot of ND hoops fans, the Bench and other WCBB boards are wondering who the next assistant coach/recruiting director will be. It's important to note that Niele was the lead assistant coach in charge of point guards, scouted opposing teams and developed appropriate game plans and directed ND's recruiting process. And, of course, because she did it in her Nielesque fashion, with efficiency and flair.

Remember also, that this departure is relatively late in the hiring cycle, with regular classes starting up and official visits (OV's) looming around the corner. And Katie Capps, the ND director of basketball operations, who assisted Niele with said trips, is no longer around. There's not a bunch of time.

Some questions I'd have:
- Will Coach McGraw, a former point guard herself who has always worked with the position, take on more responsibilities at this juncture? If so, that might minimize the need for a PG-perfect match.
- Will ND keep recruiting with an assistant coach or perhaps divvy it up as several schools currently do, with a Director of Recruiting? Michaela Mabrey is primarily a director of recruiting. Maryland has a staff of two whose primary job is recruiting. Other schools still have assistant coaches leading the efforts, but assign staffers to support recruiting full-time.

The reason I bring this up is that with the emergence of a transfer portal, recruiting has become even more critical; to either get it right the first time or with transfers in the event that stuff happens.

- Will MM try to look for Notre Dame alums for this/these position(s)? Or will sbe go after the best available talent (if or regardless if no person with ND connections fits the bill)?

That said, I'll suggest a few names with ND connections that come to mind, with strengths and/or weaknesses.

- Ashley Barlow, former ND star and Pike High School (Indiana) standout, who is currently an assistant coach and director of recruiting for Wright State University.
Strengths: Superb player who has worked her way up the collegiate coaching ladder. Knows the Midwest club scene well.
Advantage: Could keep current model by coaching guards (with MM input) and recruiting.
??? Lack of P5 coaching experience.

Coquese Washington, current associate head coach at Oklahoma.
Strengths: Former PG at collegiate and pro levels, knows MM exceedingly well, head-coaching experience at Penn State, recruits hard in ND areas (Midwest, Mid-Atlantic).
??? Just joined Coach Sherri Coale's team and not an opportune time to leave Coach Coale high and dry. Timing is everything.

Michaela Mabrey, Director of Recruiting at LSU.
Strengths: Worked exceedingly well with MM and staff while a player at ND. Known as a coach both on practice floor and during games. Has worked at Miami U., University of Miami and now LSU
- Is from New Jersey, a basketball-rich area and is probably very well connected to the Shore scene.
- Young, well-spoken and able to relate to kids.
??? Why did she leave Megan Duffy's staff after just one year? Was she being poached by LSU? Or was it something else? This is something MM probably already knows....

Some other names:

- Maddie Cable. I'm not sure I see her as an assistant, but possibly as the Director of Basketball Operations. She got a bird's eye view as a grad assistant and University of Wisconsin. A similar type of candidate: Kat Westbeld (Nat Achonwa filled this slot for a season and Kat and Nat have some similarities in approach and presence.)

- Lindsay Allen: I saw ND Hoops Recruits post about Skylar Siggins, but think Skylar is going to return to the pros and the pursuit of making the U.S. National Team in order to go to the Olympics. Just my opinion.

So, my thought is another stellar ND point guard: Lindsay Allen, who is coming off a major surgery.
Strengths: Four-year starter. Building up the goods in the pro level. Well known as a capable floor general, which she could convey to recruits and current players. Could see her relating exceedingly well to players like Caitlin Clark and/or Olivia Miles. Very close to ND and coaching staff.
??? No coaching experience at all. Has signed a contract to return to Aussie ball, but that could surely be addressed.
Solution: Work with Coach McGraw for a year on the PG's and gradually take over responsibilities.

My late-night gut:
- If MM does not have/cannot find a younger, Niele-like candidate such as Ashley Barlow or a non-Domer, I'd recommend looking into splitting the position, which could be solid emphasis on both the position/game planning and on the recruiting. Go with an Allen and Mabrey combination, for instance.

I think the approach to recruiting and retention should be addressed while pursuing staff. By getting two recent grads in place and committing to a connected separation of power, one can hopefully do this.

As usual, welcome other thoughts.

Cross fingers, think good thoughts on all fronts. Stay tuned.

I think Muffet will promote Beth Cunningham to Associate
by MPG  (2019-08-06 08:27:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Head Coach with many of Niele's responsibilities, though she'll stay with wings, and then add the best young assistant coach available. My hope is that it will be someone with five years or so of experience, ND ties not required.

Katie Capps is still at ND as "Sport Administrator" which is a new position for her and a promotion in the AD world.

She already is an associate head coach (link)
by Kayo  (2019-08-06 09:56:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

So is Carol Owens.

This means that she has already been promoted because
by MPG  (2019-08-06 10:35:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

she is listed as "Associate Coach" in a 2018-19 game program that I have. Carol and Niele were listed as "Associate Head Coach" in that same program. Interestingly, the 2018-19 roster is no longer available on und.com. Only the 2019-20 roster is available and has Beth's new title, and Niele is already off the list of coaches.

When Did That Promotion Take Place?
by dillon77  (2019-08-06 10:44:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I caught that the other day while getting ready for vacation and neglected to post it. Wonder if that had happened quietly earlier or if it had come about recently?

While I could see Beth taking over more and more of the prep and in-game counsel, I'm not certain that given her personal situation, hitting the road for recruiting will be the best match.

You and I are in agreement that it would be best to go young...we'll see.

My guess is that Muffet will issue a statement on all the
by MPG  (2019-08-06 13:45:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

coaches' responsibilities when the new assistant is hired. Everyone is involved in scouting and game preparation. Niele was given the most challenging teams to prepare for, but there were other games when Beth or Carol took the lead. How do I know this? Bob Nagle does a post-game radio interview with the assistant who did the scout and prep for the game.

While every coach needs to be on the road in July, the recruiting coordinator normally travels more frequently over the course of the year. I could see Beth coordinating with the young assistant doing more of the road running during the winter. As former head coaches, Beth and Carol have seen it all and done it all.

I would like to see the new assistant with existing connections in states such as Texas or California or Florida.

As you noted earlier, Ashley Barlow is probably the best qualified of the ND grads.

Found 2 articles from last season that used the title
by Kayo  (2019-08-06 12:08:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

So it isn't new.

Baylor Scouting Report: One-on-one with Notre Dame Assistant Coach Beth Cunningham

Beth Cunningham to be inducted into 2019 Indiana Basketball Hall of Fame Class

Both are WSBT reports that use different titles. I'll use
by MPG  (2019-08-06 13:53:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the two printed by ND documents that I have on hand as my sources. The link is also helpful.

In any event, she is an Associate Head Coach now and likely to acquire a number of Niele's roles.

Thanks....
by dillon77  (2019-08-06 12:19:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Given her successful HD stint and the work she was doing at ND, I was always a bit if and when that "bump" would come.

Looking for Next Coach
by hempfield75  (2019-08-06 01:16:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Really nice and informative article. You brought up some names I forgot
about as possible replacement.

...Since time is getting critical for a hire you have to put yourself in
MMs place. This a rebuilding year. Why not go with the combo of Allen and
Mabrey. They are both bulldogs, fighters, dedicated and truly love ND and
MM. vice versa with MM. She truly loves, respects and trusts Allen and
Mabrey. Like you said MM can bring them around slowly. Teaching and showing
her way. Basically making them both clones of herself. Plus Beth is their
to help them. The more I think about it the more I like this pair. I think
it would also be easier to lure them back to ND then most of the others. I
also think this is the perfect time and opportunity especially for Allen.
She is an incredible and intelligent player. Well love and respected by
everyone on this planet. Lambier has twice gone out of the way to get Allen
on his teams. The both have the heart of a lion. Also with Allen, she is
coming off a serious injury. The way the Aces have filled their roster.
There might night be room for LA. She might also have a difficult time
being picked up by another team. Like I said. This could be the perfect
time for LA to look into a career change to a coach she loves and respects
and a team and school she just loves to death. Mabrey could learn from
MM and Beth plus take over the recruiting duties. ND recruits very strong
in her area. Nice to have a Mabrey recruiting the east coast. Clark will
love LA and MM. The guards coming in 2021 will love those two. Do not
forget Fudd is in 2021. I would just love to see LA and Fudd and Olivia
Miles in the same room together. LA would be the perfect recruiter for
both Fudd and Miles.

Finally done. Just my two cents on the next coach or coaches.

...Ashley Barlow would also be a great pickup. Might even be top of
MMs list. She would be my plan B.

SEG/Chief