Some Questions & Thoughts on a Post-Niele Coaching Staff
by dillon77 (2019-08-06 00:09:02)
Edited on 2019-08-06 06:37:51

With Niele Ivey now headed to Memphis, a lot of ND hoops fans, the Bench and other WCBB boards are wondering who the next assistant coach/recruiting director will be. It's important to note that Niele was the lead assistant coach in charge of point guards, scouted opposing teams and developed appropriate game plans and directed ND's recruiting process. And, of course, because she did it in her Nielesque fashion, with efficiency and flair.

Remember also, that this departure is relatively late in the hiring cycle, with regular classes starting up and official visits (OV's) looming around the corner. And Katie Capps, the ND director of basketball operations, who assisted Niele with said trips, is no longer around. There's not a bunch of time.

Some questions I'd have:
- Will Coach McGraw, a former point guard herself who has always worked with the position, take on more responsibilities at this juncture? If so, that might minimize the need for a PG-perfect match.
- Will ND keep recruiting with an assistant coach or perhaps divvy it up as several schools currently do, with a Director of Recruiting? Michaela Mabrey is primarily a director of recruiting. Maryland has a staff of two whose primary job is recruiting. Other schools still have assistant coaches leading the efforts, but assign staffers to support recruiting full-time.

The reason I bring this up is that with the emergence of a transfer portal, recruiting has become even more critical; to either get it right the first time or with transfers in the event that stuff happens.

- Will MM try to look for Notre Dame alums for this/these position(s)? Or will sbe go after the best available talent (if or regardless if no person with ND connections fits the bill)?

That said, I'll suggest a few names with ND connections that come to mind, with strengths and/or weaknesses.

- Ashley Barlow, former ND star and Pike High School (Indiana) standout, who is currently an assistant coach and director of recruiting for Wright State University.
Strengths: Superb player who has worked her way up the collegiate coaching ladder. Knows the Midwest club scene well.
Advantage: Could keep current model by coaching guards (with MM input) and recruiting.
??? Lack of P5 coaching experience.

Coquese Washington, current associate head coach at Oklahoma.
Strengths: Former PG at collegiate and pro levels, knows MM exceedingly well, head-coaching experience at Penn State, recruits hard in ND areas (Midwest, Mid-Atlantic).
??? Just joined Coach Sherri Coale's team and not an opportune time to leave Coach Coale high and dry. Timing is everything.

Michaela Mabrey, Director of Recruiting at LSU.
Strengths: Worked exceedingly well with MM and staff while a player at ND. Known as a coach both on practice floor and during games. Has worked at Miami U., University of Miami and now LSU
- Is from New Jersey, a basketball-rich area and is probably very well connected to the Shore scene.
- Young, well-spoken and able to relate to kids.
??? Why did she leave Megan Duffy's staff after just one year? Was she being poached by LSU? Or was it something else? This is something MM probably already knows....

Some other names:

- Maddie Cable. I'm not sure I see her as an assistant, but possibly as the Director of Basketball Operations. She got a bird's eye view as a grad assistant and University of Wisconsin. A similar type of candidate: Kat Westbeld (Nat Achonwa filled this slot for a season and Kat and Nat have some similarities in approach and presence.)

- Lindsay Allen: I saw ND Hoops Recruits post about Skylar Siggins, but think Skylar is going to return to the pros and the pursuit of making the U.S. National Team in order to go to the Olympics. Just my opinion.

So, my thought is another stellar ND point guard: Lindsay Allen, who is coming off a major surgery.
Strengths: Four-year starter. Building up the goods in the pro level. Well known as a capable floor general, which she could convey to recruits and current players. Could see her relating exceedingly well to players like Caitlin Clark and/or Olivia Miles. Very close to ND and coaching staff.
??? No coaching experience at all. Has signed a contract to return to Aussie ball, but that could surely be addressed.
Solution: Work with Coach McGraw for a year on the PG's and gradually take over responsibilities.

My late-night gut:
- If MM does not have/cannot find a younger, Niele-like candidate such as Ashley Barlow or a non-Domer, I'd recommend looking into splitting the position, which could be solid emphasis on both the position/game planning and on the recruiting. Go with an Allen and Mabrey combination, for instance.

I think the approach to recruiting and retention should be addressed while pursuing staff. By getting two recent grads in place and committing to a connected separation of power, one can hopefully do this.

As usual, welcome other thoughts.

Cross fingers, think good thoughts on all fronts. Stay tuned.

Replies: