Mabrey hiring now official (link)
by Orangutan (2019-08-26 10:41:01)

Congratulations Michaela
by LarryE  (2019-08-27 19:47:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Great hire. She will bring in a lot of energy and positivity in addition to her knowledge. Super happy we won't be without a Mabrey this year.

A Anderson article on Michaela hiring
by RISteve  (2019-08-26 21:45:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Sounds like Beth is the new Recruiting Coordinator, but Michaela will do much of the heavy lifting.

Link, below

Michaela is right. Great insights. Thanks. *
by 2DOMER  (2019-08-27 05:10:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think he got his Mabreys a bit mixed up
by cbiebel  (2019-08-27 01:17:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Mabrey, 25, was a two-year captain, two-year starter at point guard and an elite 3-point shooter at Notre Dame. A member of the program’s all-time winningest class with a 141-8 record, she played in all 116 games over her final three seasons and helped the Irish to the Final Four in each of her first three.

I'm sure Lindsay Allen would be shocked to hear that Michaela was the starting PG for two seasons.

As well as English usage for her vs she *
by T-Bone  (2019-08-27 12:48:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

People love to call all guards point guards
by Orangutan  (2019-08-27 01:47:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

A recent Sports Illustrated piece on Courtney Vandersloot and Allie Quigley referred to them as "Sky point guards".

Quigley is a pure shooting guard.

I guess point guard just sounds cooler.

Thrilled that Mike is back! *
by Murcer68  (2019-08-26 17:05:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Press Conference at 1:00 PM EDT
by RISteve  (2019-08-26 13:33:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Per ND HOOPS RECRUITS

...and a photo from that presser (link)
by SB Jimbo  (2019-08-26 14:57:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Nepotism! *
by 1NDGal  (2019-08-26 13:07:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Do You Mean We Now Have 2 Coaches Initialed MM? *
by dillon77  (2019-08-26 13:08:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

No, I’m just kidding about how MM has zero qualms about
by 1NDGal  (2019-08-26 13:24:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

hiring her own players. I just wait for the media to start criticizing her for being closed-minded or myopic or whatever. Or better yet — she doesn’t really support WOMEN, she only supports CERTAIN women.

Congrats MM! ND Should Get the Miami's Right
by dillon77  (2019-08-26 13:03:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

She worked at both Miami schools, not just for Miami of Ohio.

In the release:

"After graduation, Mabrey became the coordinator of program and player development at the University of Miami (Ohio) for the 2016-17 season, aiding the staff in preparing scouting material and conducting on-campus recruiting visits. The following year, Mabrey was promoted to assistant coach, where the Redhawks went on to produce a 21-11 record and recorded the biggest turn-around that year in NCAA Division I by a first-year coaching staff."

In Reality:
After graduation, Michaela became the coordinator of program and player at development at The University of Miami (actually in Coral Gables), working for Coach Katie Meier. The following year, she took at job as assistat coach at Miami University (of Ohio) in Oxford, Ohio, for incoming new coach, fellow ND alum Megan Duffy. After one year, she then took the Director of Recruiting job at LSU.

Geesh, Proofreaders....it wasn't that long ago!

That said, welcome aboard Mike! Mabrey1 is back in the building!

The reality of your reality
by cbiebel  (2019-08-27 01:00:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You even messed it up a bit:

You:
After graduation, Michaela became the coordinator of program and player at development at Miami University in Coral Gables, working for Coach Katie Meier. The following year, she took at job as assistat coach at Miami of Ohio for incoming new coach, fellow ND alum Megan Duffy. After one year, she then took the Director of Recruiting job at LSU.

Reality:

After graduation, Michaela became the coordinator of program and player at development at the University of Miami in Coral Gables, working for Coach Katie Meier. The following year, she took at job as assistat coach at Miami of Ohio for incoming new coach, fellow ND alum Megan Duffy. After one year, she then took the Director of Recruiting job at LSU.

University of Miami: in Florida
Miami University: Cradle of Coaches in Ohio

As someone who was at ND during the "Catholics vs Convicts" era, I've had the difference between the two etched into my brain.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

The link from the Big Monkey seems to have it right-last 2
by Domerduck  (2019-08-26 19:27:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

paragraphs-all three positions/schools were mentioned....maybe they fixed it when I read the post.

Good To See It Fixed...
by dillon77  (2019-08-27 08:48:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Not that it takes away from the bigger picture, but you'd hope that would be right and tight the first time.

Congrats to Michaela, Muffet and all the coaches along the way (Katie Meier, Megan Duffy, Nikki Fargas) who have given Mike a chance.

Congratulations Michaela! *
by tedstheman  (2019-08-26 12:18:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

wasn't she a coach as an undergrad
by ram  (2019-08-26 11:52:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

just not official

They used to put her out there with the 2nd unit to "coach" at the end of the game, No?

Certainly the type of player who usually make excellent coaches-not a DI talent but good enough to start for a top notch D1 program due to smarts, tenacity and grit.

Great hire and, perhaps, a reason little sis wanted to do her own thing at VT.

Woot! Woot! I like it, I like it. The ndwbb video is slick. (link)
by Jon  (2019-08-26 11:26:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Wonderful news!
by RISteve  (2019-08-26 10:58:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think Michaela can really connect with recruits and players as she is so similar in age. I think this is an important component in her resume. And we get another year of a Mabrey on the roster!

Will Help In Both Recruiting and Retention
by dillon77  (2019-08-26 13:14:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

She always has ability to get along (listens!) while getting points across.

And on the recruiting front, she's now established contacts in the Midwest (due to Miami of Ohio), the south (LSU) and, of course, the notheast/metro NYC area; in particular, the state of New Jersey and that subdivision known as the Jersey Shore.

The “Shore” Conference
by RISteve  (2019-08-26 13:30:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I have heard The Shore Conference recently referred to as “the best girls basketball conference in the country”. I am not sure I would go that far, but there are many D1 recruits who have or are playing for teams in that conference. The Mabrey name is gold in them parts, so hopefully, the NDWBB program can reap some recruiting benefits from MM2. I sure hope so.

NDWBB tweet-well done
by RISteve  (2019-08-26 11:24:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Link, below

Oops, you beat me to it. *
by Jon  (2019-08-26 12:37:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Excellent hire....Will help recruiting in Northeast.... *
by Wolfetone  (2019-08-26 10:47:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post