ND's Search for a Right "Fit" Can Be Rewarding, Frustrating
by dillon77 (2019-10-03 15:10:38)
Edited on 2019-10-03 15:12:24

Following ND's recruiting campaign can often feel like an emotional game of Chutes & Ladders. The team wins a National Championship and Sam Brunelle (!) commits shortly thereafter and one expects a few more...then nada for the Class of 2019.

Add into that the two transfers out, plus what looked like positive vibes with top-name 2020 prospects flattening out over time.

And although my fan self can get a tad frustrated, too, my chronicling self remembers an ND recruiting philosphy, most notably expressed by the Irish's newest coach, Michaela Mabrey:

'(Michaela) Mabrey said recruiting at Notre Dame will continue to be about whether a player is “a fit.”

'“You could be the No. 1 player in the country, but you might not fit our offense,” Mabrey said. “So it’s definitely a unique type of kid. Academics definitely play a role in it. We have to have certain GPAs, certain test scores, stuff like that, so we’re not offering everybody. It’s definitely a specific type of kid that we look for in recruiting.”'

------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is not meant to be a mea culpa for MM and her staff (she hardly needs that given her track record), but perhaps might offer some perspective.

- Many people wonder why we're not landing more Top Ten or Twenty candidates, using Hoopgurlz or Prospects Nation. I've always been leery of using these ratings services as more than a barometer, but if you do that, also look at the stars, not just the numbers. The top 53 players all have 5 stars, which point to their overall talent.

With that in mind, all of the current commits and prospects are in that bucket of excellence, from Deja Kelly (17), Maddy Westbeld (23) and Alli Campbell (25) to Leilani Kapinus (30), Nat Marshall (32) and Alasia Hayes (44).

Heck, if we could land three prospects in the top 25, I'd think we'd all be pleased.

- Remember, a lot of these ratings are based on AAU performance, which largely come down to individual performance within a team context.
Muffet looks for other concepts: are the players winners? Are they leaders? Do they help their teams win championships, whether as scorers, defenders or whatever it takes at the time?

Anaya Peoples, Alli Campbell and Alasia Hayes have all been large parts of two-time state champions, while Nat Marshall was a key contributor to Christ the King winning a New York State Class championship this year.

Do they get invited to National Team tryouts and make teams? Peoples and Brunelle practically live in Colorado Springs trying out for various teams. Campbell was a finalist in her latest go-round. Maddy did well, too.

- Ok, Dillon, get that (to a degree for some). What about the ones we offered, but go elsewhere? Fair enough. Let's look at a few:
-- Paige Bueckers said UConn has always been a dream of hers. Perhaps, but Geno A. apparently was on a first-hame basis with the Hopkins HS cafeteria workers he was there that often.
-- Haley Jones was pursued by ND, UConn and others, but chose the home-town team, Stanford. Probably was pre-ordained, but it's worth trying.
-- Aliyah Boston. She lived in Worcester, MA, practically back-door of Storrs. ND was allegedly doing well, then she chooses....South Carolina?
-- Caitlin Clark. Looked like the Oregon schools were in deep, but her top three came down to two Iowa schools and ND. Looks like she wants to stay in-state, despite ND looking like such a good fit, academically, athletically and culturally. Hey, it's not done yet, but she's an individual.

So, anything come to mind with the modus operandi from this perspective?
-- How about the fact that ND appears to have had Plan B's in place? Yes, they're aiming high, but have other very good players in mind in case things change.
-- They're adaptable...What some naysayers, one might call adaptable. Being able to see/talk to Leilani Kapinus is great. Will it lead to something? Maybe yes, maybe know, but they took the proverbial test drive.
-- Alasia Hayes was very late by ND standards, but Niele and MM obviously saw something they like: good all-round player who has speed, particularly on defense. Playing against Dangerfield or Baylor's Chloe Jackson requires some aggressive D and speed. Check.

-- One of the things that come to mind is expanding the prospect pool a bit by looking at international players. I've gone into detail in other posts, but why not? It's easier than it used to be with the internet and events for international prospects.
-- Also, I've got no idea how frequently the ND staff reaches out to prospects: each prospect is different and probably has different tastes and preferences. But once the right approach is ascertained, I'd recommend going for it if you want that player. Too much competetition to leave anything on the table. I'm not saying we have not, just recommending "keep on keeping on."

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lastly, I'm looking forward to seeing how the OV's of Kelly, Westbeld and Clark (until she cancels, I'm keeping her on the list) go and/or if Kapinus comes. If two more of these players come, I think we've done pretty darn well.

And keep in mind, the players we're looking at (and are looking at us) in 2021: Azzi Fudd, Olivia Miles, Sonia Citron, Ari Wiggins, Amari Deberry and possibly talent like Destiny Adams, Saniya Rivers, Payton Verhulst, etc.

Stay tuned -- Go Irish!

Only one issue with what you say ...
by NDoggie78  (2019-10-03 15:22:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We seem to be having a difficult time finding the right fit with anyone over 6'?

Not quite understanding this problem.
You watch the All-Access show and it's readily apparent when Coach Owens is working with the "bigs" and there are only two of them (there were 5 the previous year).
The only answer is Nat Marshall, who while 6'-4" is pretty slight and will still only leave 3 the next year (maybe Maddy Wesbeld might help in this regard, but many see her more of a wing)

Remembering the frustration of coming so close so often
by CKDexterHaven  (2019-10-04 15:57:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

in the NCAA Tournament when the opponents were able to score so frequently with their bigs and get second shots. There are many ways a "smaller" team can score its own points, but not being able to defend the opponents' bigs seemed to often be the deciding factor. That was a hard lesson and I hope it still motivates the effort to go after players who can defend tall opponents and who can rebound effectively. Tall scorers are nice to have, but a lack of tall defenders/rebounders makes it much more difficult to win championships.

Totally agree. We need an
by Homeboy73  (2019-10-04 19:47:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

aircraft carrier, or two. Still regret final four losses to Griner, the bigs from TA&M, etc.. At least we beat the Mississippi State big McCown. We haven’t really had an aircraft carrier since Ruth.

Not sure about aircraft carrier
by Blarneyman  (2019-10-04 20:36:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But Jessica Shepard was a damn good big for us over the past few years. Natalie Achonwa was a pretty good big for us as well (her injury killed our chance at a NC).

Don't forget about Turner. *
by SorinBasement  (2019-10-08 10:32:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Shepard was the best big we've had since Ruth.
by WaxonWaxoff  (2019-10-05 01:12:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

too bad we didn't get her right out of HS

Well Put. One reason KoKo Nelson Was So Valuable...
by dillon77  (2019-10-04 17:24:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

..was her help on the defensive end, just making things more difficult for opposition bigs with outstretchd arms, taking charges, etc.

Point on "Bigs" Well Taken
by dillon77  (2019-10-04 08:23:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We don't seem to have a lot of them and this year don't seem to be going after any beyond Nat Marshall.

Muffet said in an interview awhile back that it's hard to find traditional posts these days because everyone wants to face the basket, step out of the paint and shoot the jumper, even the three pointer. (See Elena Della Donne, Emma Meesseman and Stewie are primne pro examples and with the Irish Erin Boley, Danielle Cosgrove).

I think MM can still get forwards/wings who can venture out on offense and play tough underneath, with players like Kat Westbeld, Sam Brunelle and possibly Maddy Westbeld. But I agree, finding the post element is hard and will have to be addressed in next year's recruiting because who knows if Mik Vaughn takes that extra year or not.

Speaking of Maddy, btw, she initially defined herself as a wing, but she seems to be growing in the "forward" aspects of the position:

Mark Lewis, of Blue Star Media, wrote about this following her appearance in Washington, D.C. this summer:

"Madeline Westbeld – 2020 – 6-2 – Forward – Sports City U – Reaching a new level…Depth to her game is exceptional…Combination of size, strength, refined skills and awareness…Challenges defenders inside and out…Touch and range require closing out on the catch…Physically holding her own with posts carrying much more bulk…Contains her emotions on both good and bad plays…Stays focused when challenged…Confidence only magnifies the advance in her game."

So, I think she could handle the forward element (based on Lewis' report, and I trust his judgement), but we do need to find the bigs who can anchor the "waaay down" aspects of the paint. We already knew this, but Turners and Shepards are not a dime a dozen. I'd say that might be an area to look beyond U.S. borders -- not all Euros are three-point houds. Think of Emese Hof at Miami.

International Post
by hempfield75  (2019-10-04 14:19:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Great info as usual. Easy to understand. I agree with going after
international players. Not like Syracuse, Oregon and other schools. But
there is a time to make changes. My question is MM ready to really look
into taking international players. I know in the past she was vocal about
there is no need when she get get what she wants stateside. But she has
struggled with pure post for a few years now.

...One thing I have noticed is there is more to UCONN and ND than a
basketball rivalry. I see a lot of similarities in Geno and MM. Now that
Geno is going international. Will MM follow suit. I think so. She wants
to win and hates losing. So I feel she will at least look into more than
she has in the past.

...We are not Oregon or Syracuse. They are good schools do not get me
wrong. They just do not have the entry requirements as ND. Does Stanford
recruit internationally. I do not think so. The only other P5 schools
that I can think of that have just as hard entry standards are
Vanderbilt and Rice.

...I do not think Michaela will mend jumping on a plane once in a while
for Finland, France, England, Germany or Australia and others. I am sure
there are a few women catholic basketball players that would not mind
going to the US for 4 years to play college basketball at the top and
most prestigious University in the US.

...I really do like what I have read about the post from Canada. Sorry
I am really bad with names. The girl from Finland also sounds good. But she
seems set on going pro. I also like what I have read about Destiny Adams.
There is a player from up the road from OU in Oklahoma that sounds good
also. I believe she either tried out or made the national team. I believe
Here last name is Moore. Same as the town she lives in. She may be
difficult to pry away from OU or Texas. I use to live in that area. Good
players are sometimes difficult to get away from the area.

SEG/Chief

FYI - Stanford
by WaxonWaxoff  (2019-10-06 02:26:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

had two players from Canada and one from Australia [post player] on it's roster last season

The Canadians Return & an English Ex-Pat Joins Them
by dillon77  (2019-10-06 07:52:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Hannah Jump has English citizenship (and in fact plays for the national team) but spent the teen years of her life a stone's throw from The Farm, playing against Haley Jones. The Jump is somewhat apt: she's not a leaper, but a great jump shooter. Zone buster type.