A few thoughts I have about why they have not communicated.
by Domerduck (2020-05-29 13:33:36)
Edited on 2020-05-29 13:35:31

In reply to: Hope Something Would've Happened (or Would Happen) ...  posted by dillon77

1. Beth may have wanted the head job and is disappointed. The replacement move was fast from a public standpoint. Clearly the official position is she is looking for other coaching opportunities. Neither ND, Niele nor Beth would want anybody to think there is sour grapes.
2. The posting process may have been set up to try to give Beth time to find a job which she didn't. Keep in mind lots of folks on the Bench even thought Carol was on the chopping block. To me the Coquese replacement of Beth was the best for the program given Niele felt a need for some other change than just her replacing Muffet. As I noted earlier I agree with her.
3. The ambiguity still leaves the possibility that Beth gets an assigment at ND in administration, assistant coaching role with Brey (just a wierd thought), something else in fundraising, etc. My feeling Beth is still beloved and respected at ND and if she needs a job something could come up. Still it's a bad time for movement with the shutdowns & the virus. If they say goodbye, then they have to say hello if she has a different role at ND. Seems awkward.

Just my 2 cents.

Point 1 seems unlikely
by NDLAW88  (2020-05-29 16:06:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Jack's comments outline that the "succession plan" was in place for some time, based on end of season conversations between Jack and Muffet ("if you were run over by a bus tomorrow"). I find it impossible to believe that Muffet would not have let her assistants know that Niele was "the chosen one." I think pretty much everyone on this board, if asked to chose whether Beth or Niele would succeed Muffet, would logically have picked Niele. To suggest that Beth was caught off guard seems unlikely.

It is quite possible that Beth was ultimately caught off guard by Muffet's announcement, thinking that there was no way Muffet would go out after such a disappointing season. But even then, why would Beth think she would be head coach? To me, it presumes that Niele and Beth must have very different opinions as to how things should be run, to the point where either Beth couuldn't work for Niele or Niele didn't want to try it out.

One other possibility: Niele knew she wanted CW but feared losing her to a similar position within another program and was forced to accelerate her hiring decision, leaving Beth less time to transiton out of the program?

I would think Muffet would be an advocate for Beth
by NDoggie78  (2020-05-29 13:55:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Assuming there was a position for her at Notre Dame and you would think it might have been discussed with her retirement.

Of course if in your point 1 that Beth was disappointed, she may not want to remain at ND in any capacity