Lunch Break Update
by BabaGhanouj (2021-08-23 12:30:36)
Edited on 2021-08-23 16:10:23

In reply to: New Season, New Poll  posted by BabaGhanouj

As the students return, so hopefully will the Bench. The votes are flooding in with over 50 so far. I thought I would share a few of the comments.
My favorite is the most enigmatic. I have no idea what it means:

“This is not "Rock's House" with a round ball. Learn the sport and nuances of the program before shooting first and learning later. Go buy a Big Mac and study the posts until the team can score enough to get you a free one.”
I want to make McGraw’s Bench new motto, “This is not ‘Rock’s House’ with a round ball.”

Another quote that caught my eye, under McGraw Bench improvements:
“Boneyard is the gold standard”
As much as I hate to admit it, that is so true. If you want to have 10k views of your post, there’s only one place to go. I’m not a member and will probably never be, but if you don’t browse the Boneyard every once in a while, you’re missing out on some interesting WBB stuff. We don’t have to be the biggest, but I’d still like the Bench the be the best. Obviously, a lot depends on the team’s accomplishments.

However, one person reported, “People are more civil & tolerant than the Boneyard. I like it as it is.” That could be true, but we also have more people vote to be “More intolerance of fans from other teams” than voting for “tolerance” Personally, [Edit: That changed "Less intolerance" is beating "More Intolerance" 11-4 (why didn't I say "tolerance" to avoid a double negative?] I think UConn’s site and reputation reflects more tolerance of other team’s fans than ND’s. But what do I know?

One person said, also under Bench improvements, “Less bandwagon negativity. The Alli Campbell obsession last year was ridiculous. Let's be more original and thoughtful in our comments and not just be a bunch of sheep.”
While another said, “Neil should always be reminded of her lack of communication with Allli Campbell”

Along with that, interestingly, a sizable chuck, 10 at the moment checked “More controversy and arguments” (4 checked “Less controversy and arguments). Personally, I’m not opposed to controversy, but “This is not ‘Rock’s House with a round ball.” 😀

I have to add that a number of posts were summed up with this one, “Play basketball and forget about social crusades.”

Another comment, “#FreeDotem”

Here’s a wishful, but imaginative thinker, “Possibility of making it an App?”

There are a lot more really good comments and votes, which I will keep reporting. I just had a thought that, perhaps, eventually I can gather all the answers together on one big file. Many, many are excellent!

Here are all the current "Last Question" comments
by BabaGhanouj  (2021-08-23 18:16:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

There are over 100 responses to the poll, and growing. Thanks for participating.

By the way, there is a Boneyard thread that picked up on "Boneyard is the gold standard" which is fine. The more publicity the better, and they sure like Dillon, as we do.

At last count there were 42 "Last Question" comments. Here they all are:

It’s easy to blame Muffet for the fall. But Niele was the lead recruiter during this fall and simply recruited players that shouldn’t have. Abby, Kate, cosgrove, Amirah and Hayes did not belong on this team or deserve an offer. And i would say mik Vaughn as well.

Lets go Girls! Time to get back on track, coaches and team!

Play basketball and forget about social crusades.

Injuries last year were a problem, but not the main problem. The lack of fundamentals last year was appalling, as was the failure to take advantage of what depth we had. We need someone who can recruit bigs consistently - someone who can get at least 10 rebounds/game and shoot at least 70% from the free throw line. We also need to recruit quickness.

GO IRISH!

No

I am still pissed off about the transfers. Should never have happened. I am not letting NI off the hook for this transfer cluster

The team needs to re-learn its passion to win!

#FreeDotem

If they go woke. We will go home.

Patience, I don't believe any program lost as much as ND did at once!

Neil should always be reminded of her lack of communication with Alllie Campbell

mcgraw and brey styed too long. most often players won in spite of coaching(i.e.; mcgraw didnot make arike;and brey didnot make connaughton

There are some posters who can always be counted on for balanced, articulate, and insightful comments, such as, by way of illustration only and not an exclusive list, Dillon 77 and Fighting Artichoke. They really make this site a pleasure to read.

To all of the naysayers that only seam to post negative comments ,why are you on this board? One year a player is a world beater and the next lousy. None of these young women deserve your uninformed opinions when you don't what they are dealing with physically or mentally. I'm not sure where this fits in the scope of your list above but I do know it's not funny !

So disappointed in how Niele handled her first season, I expected much more. And then there is the recruiting which I thought would be great but has been a flop so far. I don't count Sonia and Olivia, it's the lack of 2021 and 2022 action.

Niele gets a do-over this season and this season only. If she sucks, she's gone. Recruiting included. No bigs, no wins.

Go Irish!

The talent is there. We need posts/forwards next year and beyond, but this year's team has the skills. Coaching is the issue. One year, a COVID one, is not enough
proof of capability, so this year will be telling.

How bad must Ivey really be as a head coach/face-leader of the program? She had everything going for her in terms of recruiting: program momentum (I think most people, e.g., Miles and Citron, were willing to look at '19-'20 as aberration), recruiting connections, well-regarded, etc., etc., etc.? You have to be really in over your head to mess something up that bad, that fast. She had more raw talent at her disposal than almost every team she played last year. The demise of this program is almost unfathomable.

Nope. I am satisfied with the board and optimistic about the team.

This is not "Rock's House" with a round ball. Learn the sport and nuances of the program before shooting first and learning later. Go buy a Big Mac and study the posts until the team can score enough to get you a free one.

Recruiting / recruiting / recruiting!

If appears that everyone now understands what a prize Sonia Citron is going to be. Nat Marshall if healthy and after a few months of game time, is as well. Christ The King H.S. lineage. (Who else played there?) 6' 5", can run the floor & finish, also smooth shot from 3 pt. line and in. Will block shots & rebound as well. Always seems to be smiling. Sam lost 20 lbs. and appears to be over whatever nagging injury she had last year. Very talented team, deep, size, shooters, and should be much better defensively. All ten players are capable of contributing. No excuses, Neil needs to prove herself this year. Last year was puzzling.

need top 5 recruits

Why has ND recruited so many players who soon opt to transfer? Is this bad recruiting in terms of talent assessment?. There appear to be many opportunities to assess top high school talents(summer, international tournaments etc.) Why are the ND coaches surprised(dismayed) by the performances of the freshman when there are so many opportunities to see them in action and making informed judgements during recruiting.

I've never seen so many high ranking players that have such poor fundamentals and a seeming lack of "basketball smarts". These ladies were all great players at some point, so I have to blame this on the coaching. I'm hoping it's just rookie mistakes and Coach Ivey can up her game to meet the programs standards. Also, ND can't win a championship without some form of an "aircraft carrier" in the middle. Think Ruth Riley and the Shephard/Turner combo. I can't think of too many recent NCAA champions who won without a dominant "big" leading them.

Overall, thank you for being there.

Need more Baba.

It’s hard for a single parent whose only child who is her “everything” playing basketball 100 miles away to have the deadeye focus to be a big time coach. I hope I’m proven wrong.

Thanks for doing this.

Again. Just shocked. Muffett meltdown two years ago. Niele disappointment last year. Yikes!

New name for this thread MGraw is gone

We will be much better this year with 2 real bigs and Sonia and Olivia. Sam,Anaya Katlyn Dara are experienced and Maddy is !!!

Win this year or ‘the toilet’ for Ivey’s tenure. Swarbick should be fired for his son/daughters employment with ND’s contractors.

Thanks for keeping it interesting. I like when you post.

Excellent site. Very good talent, but need (1) a tougher attitude, and (b) an aircraft carrier.

While people can cite rare successful exceptions, I think it's a mistake for a major program to hire a head coach who's had no previous head coaching experience.

I'm stunned there isn't more open discussion that ND should have probably hired Megan Duffy. And if things aren't turned around, she should be pursued by January.

Less wokeness, more ass kicking, defend our court like its your last day on earth

Great site. Keeps my appetite satisfied from a news perspective. Just need the team to begin playing better. Less grabass and more seriousness from the team.

Looking forward to having better things to discuss than the WNBA and U19. Preferably a new commitment.