MLS to announce St Louis expansion team today.
by Irishted (2019-08-20 09:37:36)

Will join league in 2022.

Very happy for St. Louis--a great soccer town, and the team should get a lot of support.

What would you select for team colors?
by volley  (2019-08-21 09:00:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Based on what other MLS teams are already using, what would be an optimal color combination?

Or, what colors would be most suitable for branding St. Louis, given it's long history as a soccer town?

I'd like them to forge their own identity.
by Irishted  (2019-08-21 09:43:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And avoid just red (Cardinals) or blue (Blues). A popular idea being advocated is incorporating the flag of the city into the team colors and uniform. I'm not familiar enough with all the other MLS team colors to know if this color combination is already being used.

They need to go with a German or French theme
by fontoknow  (2019-08-21 17:07:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Bayern Munich's Red with white and blue check would seemingly work if those colors are "necessary" for the kit.

Croatia...go full tablecloth *
by iudomer  (2019-08-21 19:29:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That'd be awkward considering the huge Bosnian population *
by SavageDragon  (2019-08-21 22:34:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I hope/expect them to incorporate the flag.
by No Right Turn on Red  (2019-08-21 12:37:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It was used heavily in the promotion for "MLS 4 The Lou," and I'd be surprised if it wasn't carried over.

I am little worried about the possible name of this team. I hope it's not something boring like STL United or STL FC or Gateway FC or something like that. I'd prefer something like Steamers or Ambush (old indoor teams here, look at that Steamers' logo). Rhythm would also be a cool name, given the Stanley Cup winning hockey team here (St. Louis would be the home of the Rhythm and Blues). Same with The Spirit. The NFL expansion team that was stolen from us 26 years ago was going to be called the Stallions, so that'd be a nice FU to the NFL, but if you're going horse-themed, Clydesdales is the obvious answer. If you stick with the natural disaster theme of Fire and Earthquakes, you could probably go with St. Louis Flood, but maybe not Riots. In the goofy side, What High School Did You Go To FC is the clear winner.

Heard St. Louis Legacy as a suggestion on the radio.
by Irishted  (2019-08-21 15:43:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Thought that rolled off the tongue nicely. Too many Uniteds out there already.

Isn't United for when two existing clubs join together?
by volley  (2019-08-22 07:27:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I've heard that the Brits think America's football philistinism is showing when they do things like calling brand new clubs Something United.

Yep
by wcnitz  (2019-08-22 11:11:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Lots of angst about Atlanta United when that name came out.

They may have a point.
by Irishted  (2019-08-22 09:10:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Real Salt Lake has always sounded rather goofy to my ears. To be honest, I really don't think any American team should be Real.

Perhaps the King of Israel can issue a royal warrant *
by fontoknow  (2019-08-22 16:33:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Red, Blue and Yellow would be awesome
by HTownND  (2019-08-21 11:47:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

F'ing Chicago Fire, ughh

Why must my team suck (sorry for the tangent rant, but I could see a STL franchise coming in, and immediately kicking the crap out of and embarrasing the Fire on a regular basis, sort of like their non MLS team already did this year)

I was going to make a joke about the Fire's name change
by Irishlawyer  (2019-08-21 12:17:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and color change, but the most recent rumors are that the name will likely be retained.

By the way, as a (sad) Chicago Fire supporter, I already hate St. Louis with a passion.

Thanks
by HTownND  (2019-08-21 18:45:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

A small glimmer of hope

When MLS gets to 36 teams, can we do real P&R? *
by fontoknow  (2019-08-20 13:01:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I would love to see P&R
by catripledomer  (2019-08-20 19:35:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Also an excuse to post this...

Lasso's coming back! (link)
by TripleDomer  (2019-08-28 16:59:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I don't see how.
by Irishted  (2019-08-20 14:30:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

MLS has franchises, not clubs.

Not without heavy restructuring
by wcnitz  (2019-08-20 13:58:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's basically impossible with the league's current franchise/ownership configuration.

What if TV money is shared equally?
by plaid_pants  (2019-08-20 18:57:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Then the only difference is game day revenue. A good portion of the added teams were getting 8k fans when they were in a lower division. Some current MLS teams would still get 20k fans turn up if relegated.

Relegation can actually be fun. After a year of poor results, you can often become a team that wins regularly again. If you still lose regularly after relegation, perhaps the ownership needs to change its philosophy.

I like this idea
by HTownND  (2019-08-21 11:51:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Some sort of guarantee for the owners so the move down doesn't crush them, but there needs to be some sort of incentive to fight against relegation.

I can totally imagine, cough Fire ownership, tanking, being fine with going down a division, still cashing MLS checks, and not turning around and investing said money in the team, because of the buffer. This is what happens when the team is an investment and not a passion project.

Doesn't the PL do a scaled drop off?
by wcnitz  (2019-08-21 12:23:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

After you drop down, you still get the PL bump but it's lower, then it's lowered again the following 2 years while you're still out.

I know, I wish it weren't the case *
by fontoknow  (2019-08-20 15:21:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post