by iudomer (2020-12-14 10:37:28)

Liverpool
PSG
Bayern
Atleti
Juve
Dortmund
City
Real to all advance. Looking forward to RBL/Liverpool, City/Gladbach the most. Pep is 2-6 all time versus Gladbach, they can pull this one off.

It's too bad Chelsea drew Atleti
by miamioh_irishfan  (2020-12-14 11:06:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

because Chelsea can beat a lot of the remaining teams over 2 legs. They just aren't ready to cope with Diegoball.

The PSG/Barca tie is the hollowed out corpse of the epic matchup 3 years ago. I like neither of these teams to make it beyond the quarters.

After today...
by iudomer  (2020-12-15 16:00:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And a similar Wolves style, Chelsea have no shot imo. Frank still using Kai/Timo incorrectly.

As Leipzig proved last year
by KnightlyRevue  (2020-12-15 08:56:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It really depends which Atleti Cholo brings. In big moments (see this weekend), Simeone can get ultra conservative and cripple Atleti's ability to create chances. The best thing for Atleti would probably be to lose the first stage 1-0 similar to what they did with Liverpool last year. Atleti is best when they are the wounded animal.

Chelsea can definitely win this but I hope Atleti realizes the opportunity and Felix/Llorente are allowed to play free flanked by a combo of Vitolo/Carrasco/Correa. They have veteran players at the back/midfield that can cause Chelsea's young forwards problems but they can't just pinch the field like normal. It doesn't have to be a shootout but it can't be a park the bus sort of game across two legs.

They won the first leg 1-0 last year.
by NDBass  (2020-12-15 10:17:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And they're at their best when they are allowed to shithouse the entire match.

When I say Diegoball, I mean the ability to shithouse
by miamioh_irishfan  (2020-12-15 15:36:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the match with a lead. That's the thing that'll be hard for the young Chelsea forwards to deal with.

Maybe Thiago will help, but based on today's result, maybe not.

Not always. They tried it against Madrid
by KnightlyRevue  (2020-12-15 10:18:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

this past weekend and against Leipzig last year and lost.

And apologies as I got the score from last year against Liverpool inverted. I still think Atleti plays best with their back against the wall.

I do not think this is a normal Atleti team that will just grind it out. They have a lot of small skill players (Felix, Correa, Vitolo, Koke, etc.). They still like to make a mess of things but this team can win by playing an attacking style.

I think they can beat Atleti
by wcnitz  (2020-12-14 12:33:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They aren't as consistent as their record indicates...it's just that RM and Barcelona have been even more inconsistent and (at times) poor. They can be scored on, their defense isn't very much not Diego-like anymore.

100% with this post
by DakotaDomer  (2020-12-14 11:57:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I had the exact same thoughts about how sad Barca-PSG is and how Chelsea got hosed.