I value athlete's opinions about their sport, everything...
by Cavanaugh82 (2024-04-05 16:57:42)
Edited on 2024-04-05 17:03:20

In reply to: When was the activity - recent, years ago, other?  posted by Grace91

else is taken with the same grain of salt as every other human being.

As always, there are layers and subtexts to everything. In the post-game comments after her injury Rapinoe said something like 'If there was a god, this is proof that there isn't one'. Now, she is entitled to her beliefs and opinions like everyone and she is free to express them but she shouldn't be shocked if some people are offended by them and respond. So if someone replies that instead of proof that God doesn't exist, this is a miracle performed by God to prove he exists I don't find that to be any more offensive or controversial. Albert seems like she might be on the religious side and did what teenagers do and liked the post. If I were held publicly accountable for every opinion and idea and 'devil's advocate' thing I said when I was 20 I would have never gotten a decent job in my life. Unfortunately, as a professional athlete and potential representative on the national team those are the possible consequences to having a public discussion of your beliefs.

Rapinoe's response, I think, is a bit over the top. If you are not doing everything in your power every minute of every day to protect the LGBT community then you believe in hate and are responsible for kids killing themselves.

Alexi Lalas has some interesting comments on this situation and what it could and should mean about the national team. This doesn't diminish my opinion of Korbin or her fitness to represent the USA or as former Notre Dame student, she says she will do better and she deserves that chance.