Justin Fields to Pittsburgh...
by Kbyrnes (2024-03-16 20:58:19)

...See here: Chicago Bears trade Justin Fields to the Pittsburgh Steelers, paving the way to draft a quarterback with the No. 1 pick (chicagotribune.com, Dan Wiederer, March 16, 2024 at 6:03 p.m.; UPDATED: March 16, 2024 at 7:53 p.m [CDT].

The Bears blew it by not drafting C.J. Stroud, but they got
by G.K.Chesterton  (2024-03-18 13:51:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

incredibly lucky when the Panthers made the same mistake and sank to the bottom of the NFL with Bryce Young, thus giving the Bears another bite at the apple.

I didn't know until today, but Fields didn't throw for more than one TD in any of his last seven games with the Bears.

I’m as high on Stroud as any non Houston fan.
by usaf_irish  (2024-03-19 08:47:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But I’m reserving judgment until we see what he does this year with expectations. The AFC South has gone from a bad joke to one of the more competitive divisions in the NFL. Houston’s expectations will be sky high. Jacksonville is still trying to spend their way into relevancy. Indy will have a (hopefully) full year of the unicorn that is Anthony Richardson. And there’s even some reason to believe that Tennessee will be better.

I can't believe people think Caleb Williams would be an upgr *
by Nihilist in Golf Pants  (2024-03-16 21:06:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The upgrade is that he's cheaper than resigning Fields *
by hollownd  (2024-03-18 13:26:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

well, the WWL said he is a generational talent. *
by kdh325  (2024-03-17 16:12:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He is
by Chuck84  (2024-03-18 12:19:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He is remarkably talented.

And the second he gets thrown on his ass in his first regular season game that generational talent will point fingers and cry. Then Bears fans will scream "we should have stuck with Justin Fields, at least he wasn't a p*ssy." Eberflus will be fired after 2024. A new coach will be hired that Caleb doesn't like. The Bears will eye the 2026 draft under a lame duck head coach as their chance to get the next Sid Luckman ...

It's almost like we've seen the movie before.

Wait, wasn’t Trevor Lawrence a “generational talent” as well *
by usaf_irish  (2024-03-18 12:53:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Everything is faster now - generations only last 2 years
by DakotaDomer  (2024-03-18 13:29:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Trevor is a generational talent for Net Gen

Caleb is a generational talent for Neo-Digital Natives

And Sayin at OSU is the best prospect since Lawrence.
by usaf_irish  (2024-03-18 15:11:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Nothing means anything anymore in a media environment where anyone with 10 fingers and a voice can be a journalist.

Intangibles, hope springs eternal
by sprack  (2024-03-17 15:34:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Williams could be Fields Redux. He has the same strengths and the same weaknesses.

To me it’s 50/50, but worth a shot because Fields needs the change of scenery. He wasn’t going to get to The Promised Land with the Bears and should have sat for a couple of years after he was drafted. The problem is that Williams is going to be in the exact same situation. But he’s certainly got the physical tools like Fields does, so at a minimum he’s not a downgrade.

As I recall Fields was supposed to sit for a year
by bizdomer09  (2024-03-18 10:57:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But the Red Rifle went down and the plan for an apprenticeship went awry. Not sure it would have made any difference. Fields did have chances to sit and observe over his time with the Bears, and it didn't seem to change his fundamental challenge with seeing the field, seeing the defense, anticipating breaks and throwing into open windows.... and doing all of these things quickly, in rhythm. Maybe it will all click someday given time to watch and learn, and maybe Wilson will help with that. But I doubt it.

It baffled me how the Bears thought that Fields
by sprack  (2024-03-18 12:13:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

could learn much from Dalton. It wasn't exactly Rodgers learning from Favre and Love learning from Rodgers.

It's all nonsense until Virginia McCaskey croaks *
by El Kabong  (2024-03-16 21:41:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

She was born before A Blue Gray October Sky...
by Scoop80  (2024-03-18 20:29:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

She would've been 1 year old when a G. Rice opening line catapaulted Crowley, Layden, Miller & Stuhldreher into immortality.

I don't think that will change anything
by Chuck84  (2024-03-18 10:11:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The entire family runs that team and they continue to show they haven't the faintest damned idea what they're doing. My God, just a few years ago, they hired octagenarian and soccer guru Ernie Accorsi to guide them in hiring people who knew football.

I actually think Kevin Warren has a chance at helping in the stadium deal and long range stuff. But, when it comes to getting real football minds in there, the family's horrendous decision-making can never be overcome.

Sadly, they'll probably never sell ... even after VM goes.

I think they will
by El Kabong  (2024-03-18 12:36:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They need the stepped-up basis to avoid getting reamed by the tax man.

When Virginia dies, they'll sell.

Yep
by HTownND  (2024-03-20 14:26:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They ain't liquid enough to pay those estate taxes. The vast majority of their "wealth" is tied up in owning the team. Some of the family have done well in their side ventures, but the vast majority are living off the Bears ownership. That bill will come due when she dies.

As for my little Village, they sure stepped on their crank with this one. Although Cook County 10000% sales chased the valuation (would love KByrnes to weigh in on the value going from 30 million to 190 million after the sale). That the schools dug their heals in for an upfront pay day was problematic, but here we are. The Village's only hope is the Friends of the Parks, aka the people who hate Star Wars

Help us Obi Wan, you're our only hope...