I thought it was just okay.
by tdiddy07 (2024-04-16 21:01:26)

In reply to: it's an outstanding book  posted by jt

It had its moments, and I agree that that was a highlight of the book. But it’s two books melded together. And each was just okay to me. I try to read one baseball book every spring. I had fairly high hopes for this one. But this was down the list for me. I thought Summer of ‘49 to be much better storytelling as a more direct comparison of the first half of Kahn’s book. Otherwise, I’d take collections of Angel, Plimpton, and others as more compelling collections of vignettes. It’s perhaps unfair to compare it to Ball Four, but I would recommend that much before Kahn’s.

Next year I might pick up something by the Spaceman. That should be interesting.

if you like Ball Four
by jt  (2024-04-17 13:59:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'd recommend "the Bronx Zoo" by Sparky Lyle about the 1978 Yankees.

Thanks. I'll add it to the list. *
by tdiddy07  (2024-04-18 09:10:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Ball Four was better
by sprack  (2024-04-17 16:41:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I was never enamored of Peter Golenbock's writing. The guy couldn't even spell players' names correctly.

The second funniest baseball book ever written was "I'm Gald You Didn't Take it Personally".

Oh, I think that Ball Four is the gold standard
by jt  (2024-04-17 16:59:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

there were just a lot of funny anecdotes in Bronx Zoo, which is made even funnier with some basic understanding of what a strange cat Lyle was in real life (sitting naked on birthday cakes, as an example).

The advice he shares about (and I paraphrase) chasing girls is actually kind of accurate, in a crude sense. "Every time you want to chase girls, jack off and throw a 5 dollar bill in the trunk of your car. At the end of the year, you'll have a lot of money and you'll have had a better year playing ball."

I still recall Schultz, Talbot & Pepitone stories from...
by Scoop80  (2024-04-17 17:18:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

"Ball Four" to this day. I recall Lyle saying that Reggie went "oh for Anaheim," but I don't recall that much from his book. Some of that may be b/c I had a paper copy of "Ball Four" that I wore out, while I borrowed "Bronx Zoo" from a sectionmate who had it.

My favorite line about Lyle was Nettles saying that he went "From Cy Young to Sayonara" after the NYY acquired Gossage.

EDIT: I still recall Talbot reacting to getting roughed up by the '69 O's. He said: "We got no business scheduling these guys. This club sure can fluff up your ERA."
Talbot getting served w/ a (fake) paternity suit was another classic.

And of course you recall Joe Schultz's two favorite words
by sprack  (2024-04-17 17:54:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My buddy Murph and I often greet each other on the phone with "Hiya, Blondie, how's your old tomato?"

Ah, but his sitting on birthday cakes
by sprack  (2024-04-17 17:14:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

is topped by Doug Rader in "I'm Glad You Didn't Take it Personally".

I do agree, the Bronx Zoo was an entertaining book and it was also interesting to read Lyle's views on pitching.

I wish they made a movie of it, because Sam Elliott would be perfect casting for Lyle. Practically the same mustache, and if you ever heard Sparky talk, paractically the same voice. He used to do commercials for Levi Garrett chewing tobacco, fit perfectly.

An 8th grade classmate laughed so hard that he literally...
by Scoop80  (2024-04-17 17:22:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

got red in the face after reading the Rader birthday cake story. We were in a free reading period at the end of a school day. The teacher took notice and asked the guy to hand him the book and the passage that he found so hysterical.

As a kid, I enjoyed Gaylord Perry's book.
by G.K.Chesterton  (2024-04-16 23:08:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It wasn't hard reading but as someone in grade school, there were some good adult lessons in the book. I'll never forget the part where, with his signing bonus, he paid off his dad's long-running tab at the general store/bar in rural North Carolina. It brought his dad to tears.

There's also great stories about him loading up.

“I see the boys of summer in their ruin”
by Father Nieuwland  (2024-04-16 22:31:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The Boys of Summer isn’t really a baseball book - it’s a character study masquerading as a sports book.