Notre Dame selected to join AAU (link)
by ryND (2023-06-01 12:34:04)

Better go buy those Fred McGriff practice drill tapes. *
by Tommy Baseball  (2023-06-01 15:49:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That’s Hall of Famer Fred McGriff to you *
by DBCooper  (2023-06-01 20:01:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Back to back to back *
by njnd96  (2023-06-01 19:13:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the best defensive drill ever produced!
by jt  (2023-06-01 18:30:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

What are the key benefits/opportunities
by IAND75  (2023-06-01 13:41:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

that are now available to ND that were closed off previously?

Are there contracts or grants that specifically require AAU membership?

Hard to quantify, but prestige matters
by NDFanSince81  (2023-06-01 14:08:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The AAU is basically a club to foster interaction among leaders from leading research universities.

So if you're being recruited to be a Dean at Notre Dame, for example, you can now count on regular meetings with your peers, benchmarking resources, and visibility that leads to better staff recruiting. Just a few days ago, there was a thread about how insular ND has become with hiring senior administrators. Well, AAU membership opens up regular contact with places where you'd like to recruit, and incrementally advances ND's reputation as a career opportunity.

For research administration, it opens access to a knowledge base on the technical aspects of administration and benchmarks.

We all know how important networking can be.

The entering class includes UC Riverside, Miami, USF, ASU,
by MPG  (2023-06-01 13:29:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and George Washington along with ND. This doesn't strike me as a group of elite universities, although each must have its areas of research strength.

We're eligible for Big 10 membership now... *
by StetsonDan  (2023-06-01 12:40:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm sure NBC was behind it. /s *
by G.K.Chesterton  (2023-06-01 13:01:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

This is a big deal. Only Catholic member. *
by NDFanSince81  (2023-06-01 12:37:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Not for long, I suspect
by tf86  (2023-06-02 09:10:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I would imagine that Georgetown and BC will be inducted in the near future. But ND had to be first.

Catholic University was a founding member
by squid  (2023-06-01 12:54:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and only dropped out in 2002. It wouldn’t surprise me if the Catholics Need Not Apply was just something repeated over and over by uninformed people.

And Nebraska was kicked out of the AAU.

I’ve heard for years the AAU-Big Ten-Notre Dame story but now I wonder if it was just hogwash.

What exact story do you think was hogwash?
by Tex Francisco  (2023-06-01 13:37:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My understanding is that parts of the ND faculty and administration viewed Big 10 membership as a way to enhance ND's chances of being admitted to the AAU. The notion that the Big 10 would not take ND without ND first being admitted to the AAU has always been demonstrably false.

How could a theoretical
by squid  (2023-06-01 14:28:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

be demonstrably false?

I always thought the relationship was opposite
by tf86  (2023-06-02 09:08:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I.e., that ND wanted in to the AAU, and the Big Ten members would support ND for AAU membership if they were a Big Ten member but would oppose the application if they were not a Big Ten member. Induction as a member requires a 2/3 vote of existing members. So if every member of the Big Ten voted against ND, that would not be enough, standing alone, to sink ND's application, but it would eliminate most of the margin for error.

because the B1G asked us to join 20 years ago,
by Tex Francisco  (2023-06-01 14:48:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and we weren't in the AAU back then.

That's not exactly what happened ...
by NDFanSince81  (2023-06-01 15:06:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

There was some sort of conversation between Jim Delany and Mike Wadsworth, the ND AD at the time, inquiring about any potential ND interest in the Big 10. This was a soft, low-key inquiry. The initial reaction from ND was pretty cool. Still, the academic side of the University thought it might be interesting to explore this further as a way to advance the educational mission. That effort didn't get far before the overwhelmingly negative reaction of alumni, trustees, and others ended the discussion. No offer was made, and the discussion ended before it really went anywhere.

Nebraska is the only Big Ten school not in it *
by BillShakespeare  (2023-06-01 13:16:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Yes. And what value does the statement have?
by squid  (2023-06-01 14:30:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Certainly doesn’t mean that AAU membership is a requirement of the Big 10.

Nebraska was an AAU member when it joined Big Ten
by tf86  (2023-06-05 08:37:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It was booted out afterward. Reportedly, Michigan and Wisconsin were among those who voted to expel Nebraska, all other Big Ten schools (as well as all current/former Big XII schools -- Texas, Texas A&M, Colorado, Missouri and Kansas) voted to keep Nebraska.

The N stands for Nowledge. *
by stanford_07  (2023-06-01 13:26:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post