Not trying to be political, but if Israel really did attack
by irishrock (2024-04-19 00:10:08)

a base full of F-14's, I'm calling bull$&@* on that. Greatest plane to ever fly. Hopefully they took out everything nuclear related but spared the mighty Tomcat

Oh, there they go! There they go!
by The Holtz Room  (2024-04-19 00:44:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Every time someone starts talking about planes, irishrock gotta pull F-14 outta his ass! That's the one! That's his one! F-14! F-14! Lemme tell you something once and for all! The F-14 was good, but compared to A10, the F-14 ain't shit!

It did whip the Ruskies ass. *
by cujays96  (2024-04-19 08:06:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Them Russkies was 105 years old! *
by OTTER  (2024-04-19 09:46:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That's why the llama is scared of winamp
by Molly Maguires  (2024-04-19 09:21:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Ass whippings.

when you hit that $1B lottery
by irishrock  (2024-04-19 07:19:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I want to put my request in RIGHT NOW...an F-14 Tomcat is on my wish list...please make it happen. I will pay...PAY a lot of money to ND to perform a flyover for a USC game (they'll probably only give me a Ball State slot instead, but what the hell).

(by the way, I was at 2012 ND/Michigan and some F-16 pilot really took some liberties during pre-game...he was torquing the f out that plane and was going low and really fast with afterburners on...it was something to see)

Also at that Michigan game. The tailgate flyover was crazy. *
by ksqdomer  (2024-04-19 14:13:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

to the point where I wondered if that pilot got a talking to
by irishrock  (2024-04-19 18:07:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

seriously, that boy was low, fast, and turning some freaking g's...it was so freaking awesome. I remember telling my son (check out my profile as I mention the flyover), "yep, irishrock jr...that pilot is really testing that airframe"

(I dont' really call him irishrock jr, but you get the point)

Why choose? When we played at Air Force in '87 it
by Moff  (2024-04-19 12:45:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

seemed like they flew one of each over their Stadium, one after the other.

Their actual falcon (animal) was great too!
by Irish2003  (2024-04-20 11:50:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It was one of the DavieHam years that unfortunately blend together, but I was lucky to be near the cadet who was the falconer for that majestic beast. Seeing that animal soar, swoop, and land right on the falconer's hand was definitely one of the coolest things I've seen.

Now, to get us an Irish Wolf-hound!

Raising my hand for an F16.
by mkovac  (2024-04-19 10:16:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Dear Lord, in my next life, put me on earth to be an F16 pilot. I want to protect the Central Valley from marauding giant spiders.

YF-23 would like a word... *
by Wooderson  (2024-04-19 07:16:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The one that got it's ass kicked by the YF-22? *
by Bobby OShea  (2024-04-19 13:01:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

F-22 was chosen for "post-sale" reasons
by irishrock  (2024-04-19 13:28:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the maintenance costs on the F-23 were going to be quite a bit higher than the F-22...at least that was part of the reasoning at the time. The F-23 was considered one bad arse mofo in the air.

I was in DC (working for a Rep on the HASC) when Lockheed Martin got the F-22 contract. A rep for them came by the office to give the Rep two tickets to a reception in celebration of being chosen. The Congressman didn't go to those events and I shared that with the guy..."well, do you want 'em" Hell yeah.

I had never seen so many generals and admirals in one place...you'd see them, but not that many in one place. They had fantastic food and drinks that night...it was a great event to attend.

Not accurate.
by Bobby OShea  (2024-04-19 13:53:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The F-23 had a stack of "non-compliance" issues with their aircraft.
I will only address the 2 largest of them.

1. "Vectored Thrust Nozzles". This was probably the biggest. It was one of THE main requirements in the proposal. Northrop just didn't do it (in their prototype). They had some white papers on it...but nothing more. Lockheed dumped Millions and millions into solving this problem. The YF-22 had it, and is why even at a larger airframe can fly circles around an F16. They demonstrated it during the fly-off competitions.

2. Ordinance Delivery: The prototypes were required to actually launch a missile. The F-22 demostrated that...again, the F-23 did not / could not. The YF-22 had successful launch of an AMRAAM during fly off demonstration.

You can argue all day what aircraft was "better" (subjective), but you cannot argue as to which aircraft was "better built to spec"(measureable facts).

There was talk of issues with the F23 that would be "fixed in production", and the term "buy it broke, fix it latter" was used...maybe this is where your "post-sale" language comes in.

Disclosure: I worked on the YF-22, and was intimately aware/informed on how the competition played out. I would have worked on the project for decades, but they moved it from Burbank/Palmdale to Georgia.

c'mon man
by irishrock  (2024-04-19 16:23:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the thread started with the F-14 Tomcat and you jumble it up with a bunch of facts when I'm just going with the legend. John Wayne, "if you've got facts and you've got legends...always go with the legend" (or something like that)

Amazing you worked on the F-22. I was stating what I was told but you have a WAY more educated view on the difference between the two planes. I know the F-22 has been pretty remarkable in way of consistent efficiency with regards to maintenance and availability. I hope it keeps to form. I do know the Lockheed guy was pretty excited because they original contract was for some 775 planes and yet (for budget reasons) the Air Force ended up with only 179 (or so) planes. I wish we had more...but I also wish we had 50 aircraft carriers instead of only 12 (I'm in KC and I wish we had an aircraft carrier at the Lake of the Ozarks...not practical, but f yeah...America)

YF-23 was seventy-five years old when he fought! *
by DBCooper  (2024-04-19 07:53:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Hmm, never heard of a A10. F-14 for sure, but not an A10... *
by Boomer80  (2024-04-19 07:14:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

There used to be a base in Madison, WI…they’d buzz around
by irishguard78  (2024-04-19 16:57:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The town, which must’ve pissed some people off.

When they go on a strafing run, firing the u radium depleted rounds, the recoil slows the plane down. A-10 pilots will tell you they love them……and love them in combat.

Watched them fly over the farm weekly growing up
by kevinprice  (2024-04-19 15:52:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

try and try as they may to retire the hogs, the AF just can't quit them. Remains my favorite jet and the best ground-attack plane ever.

A10 go BRRRRT! *
by fontoknow  (2024-04-19 11:35:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Really? (link)
by The Holtz Room  (2024-04-19 10:41:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Saw A10s fly over Notre Dame Stadium at least once. *
by Moff  (2024-04-19 12:43:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post