I'm sure Kurdish food is fine, if not delightful.
by Bruno95 (2019-01-11 09:25:54)

But when I'm searching for "best restaurants for a big group in Chicago," I am skeptical a Kurdish place is really the second-best spot in the city.

Eater is not a reliable source unless you have a beard, a mug club membership, and voluntarily live in squalor.

I’m in the Uyghur area of China then Beijing. I’ll let you
by Dillon301  (2019-01-11 18:59:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

know how the food there compares to the Kurds. Wouldn’t want to leave out any options to consider in Chicago.

Uyghur cuisine is excellent!
by voidoid  (2019-01-11 22:28:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I’ve never been out to Xinxiang, but have had it in Shanghai a couple of times. I am jealous of your trip (well, maybe not the Beijing part.)

I looked at that list. Babareeba is fun.
by WilfordBrimley  (2019-01-11 17:43:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The food is solid, and it is socially acceptable to get roaring drunk there.

It's an odd list in my opinion.
by irishaddict  (2019-01-11 18:32:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The only ones on the list that I would consider taking a large group of adults for a festive party would be BaBaReeba or Carnivale.

Yup. We had a family gathering there
by Atticus  (2019-01-11 20:40:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

In Chicago last year and had about 15 at Babarebee and couldn’thave had a better time.
Great place.

It certainly is.
by WilfordBrimley  (2019-01-11 18:50:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

About the only thing that Sepia, Babareeba, Cindy’s, and Avec have in common is that they are located in Chicago and serve food and alcohol. I hadn’t even heard of some of those places.

I’d probably take a large group to Frontier, too, and do the whole animal thing. Otherwise, no on that list besides Babareeba.

Want to try the Kurdish place? If you ate local food in iraq
by airborneirish  (2019-01-12 08:25:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And enjoyed it you will enjoy this place.

I hate tapas.
by Bruno95  (2019-01-11 17:58:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Emilio’s was ok. But it’s a personal prejudice.

My rule of thumb for Tapas: *
by connormacmanus  (2019-01-12 12:43:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If it's not in Spain, it generally sucks.

My only issue with tapas is that I mishear it.
by akaRonMexico  (2019-01-12 11:00:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

After that, even the best food is going to be a let down

Agreed
by wcnitz  (2019-01-12 08:21:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

San Chez is overrated.

Haven’t been in years.
by Bruno95  (2019-01-12 10:09:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Two strikes were enough.

The efficacy of the "tapas and cocaine" diet is undeniable. *
by Mark_It_Zero  (2019-01-11 20:33:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They both smell delicious. *
by The Holtz Room  (2019-01-11 22:34:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Well done. *
by 1NDGal  (2019-01-11 21:31:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I hate tapas too
by wrathofsorin  (2019-01-11 20:25:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If I like the goat cheese enchiladas (or whatever), I don't want to feel like an asshole for eating 2 out of the 3 of them that are on the plate.

How can one "hate tapas"?
by sprack  (2019-01-11 18:00:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

All it means is small plates of food. All kinds of different varieties of food.

You only like big plates of food? You eschew appetizers? You don't like Spanish food?

I hate tapas restaurants. *
by Bruno95  (2019-01-11 18:35:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They're just an excuse to drink.
by captaineclectic  (2019-01-11 20:01:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

"Oh, we're having tapas? Can we also have an overpriced pitcher of margaritas?"

Try Emilios in Hillside, IL. Good food, service, and...
by Kbyrnes  (2019-01-12 03:06:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...yeah, margaritas and sangria.

Who needs an excuse to drink? *
by The Delta House  (2019-01-11 23:15:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

How can a pitcher of margaritas be overpriced?
by DakotaDomer  (2019-01-11 22:11:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Can you put a price on happiness?

Also...what the hell tapas restaurants are you going to that sell pitchers of margaritas? There isn’t any tequila in Spain.

Did you mean to say sangria? I’ll agree that can get overpriced since the typical price in Spain is about 4 euro per pitcher.

So?
by Atticus  (2019-01-11 20:43:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You have a problem with that? So long as everyone is laughing, it is all good.

You know I don't. *
by captaineclectic  (2019-01-11 21:12:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Good, I was starting to worry
by Atticus  (2019-01-11 21:54:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

that you were going to go all bourgeois on me.

Please, make a date to come for dinner soon. We could easily con our better halves that we were talking nonsense all the while we were plotting the outlines of the counter-revolution, the counter-reformation.

¡Viva Cristo Rey! (Perhaps we’ll have to invite BeijingIrish into our plot, but he’s enough of a Celt to trust. ¿Verded?)

I can make your reservation for 10, Hussein party
by airborneirish  (2019-01-11 16:11:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They'll be waiting

This is why I only use word-of-mouth or this forum for recs
by NavyJoe  (2019-01-11 14:01:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I have literally never had a bad experience with any restaurant that has been recommended on this board. The Back Room is batting 1.000, yelp approaches the Mendoza line...

They're good on airports
by beattherush  (2019-01-11 13:01:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Eater has rescued me quite a bit in the wilds of LAX, JFK, and MIA.

if it’s the place on clark just north of diversey
by ndlarryj  (2019-01-11 12:46:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

it is in fact very good.

I bet the wine list is outstanding
by ACross  (2019-01-11 16:27:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Ethnic food is for hipster dorks. Nice instagram picture. Nicer bowel movement.

counterpoint: i also hate food-photo-taking hipster dorks
by ndlarryj  (2019-01-12 22:35:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

have done a healthy percentage of the Michelin top 50, and don’t live in St. Louis

This is laughable. Tell me more. *
by airborneirish  (2019-01-11 18:02:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I quite enjoy ethnic restaurants if the food is outstanding.
by BeijingIrish  (2019-01-11 17:37:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

One could make the case that the Himalayan Bistro (Nepalese/Tibetan/Indian) is the best restaurant in Fort Collins on the basis of consistent quality, ambience (linen tablecoths!), and service. The owner is a Sherpa, there everyday, really nice guy. His hot daughter is a waitress. I don't mind that they don't have wine because I prefer beer with South Asian food.

But shitty Thai is just that, and there are plenty of those around.

Ah, yes
by ndtnguy  (2019-01-11 17:02:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

All those people who have been ironically living for centuries in the mountainous regions at the confluence of the Tigris valley and Asia minor. Huge hipsters.

Why do you think they aren't in Asia Major? *
by tdiddy07  (2019-01-11 17:16:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The Tigris valley is in Asia Major
by sprack  (2019-01-11 17:57:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

So I think he covered that.

yes it is and it's very good *
by airborneirish  (2019-01-11 16:11:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Kurds and Weigh?
by sprack  (2019-01-11 14:28:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

OK, that's not the name, but it should be.

What's the place? Also, I am done
by KnightlyRevue  (2019-01-11 11:00:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

with online review engines like Yelp etc. Everyone is a mini-Roger Ebert on those blasted sites. How many reviews have you read that start like this:

"I wanted to like this place....

and then systematically trash the place in a long winded tome that possesses gems such as "I waited for 5 mins to get attention from the server!!!" or "I felt the creme brulee was creamy but you could tell they used 2% milk instead of whole"

Give me a professional critic over these pseudo-intellectual wannabee gasbags with 6000 thousand Yelp reviews any day of the week.

The very small value I find with online reviews
by DakotaDomer  (2019-01-11 11:59:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Is to help find the best dish at a given restaurant. I never find any value in online reviews on the overall food quality of a restaurant because that’s too much an individual’s opinion. Having the restaurant’s dishes compared to each other is more useful.

This is why I never use online reviews to help me pick where I’m going but I will check them to disqualify if they’re not going to work for the group I’m bringing and to find what to recommend.

What a bunch of crap *
by ACross  (2019-01-11 16:29:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Also, I eat at “ethnic” restaurants a lot
by DakotaDomer  (2019-01-11 20:25:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You know...any restaurant that serves anything other than burgers and hot dogs.

I find the value at “ethnic” restaurants is much better than steakhouses, Italian, or French restaurants because those places have highly inflated pricing due to moronic clientele that are paying solely for status and not for quality of food or service. I can’t imagine the idiots dumb enough to consistently pay the premium for uninventive food you can make at home...but apparently they’re out there. And now we elected their god to be president.

A lot of those reviews are designed to get compensation
by fontoknow  (2019-01-11 11:43:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

from the restaurants to later alter the reviews.

Exactly. I also love the inevitable review comment from
by sprack  (2019-01-11 11:15:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

someone that the restaurant doesn't have enough vegan offerings.

Yeah, well, then maybe Texas barbecue isn't the best choice for you, ya moron.

Sounds like you'd be better off asking the concierge at
by Irish Tool  (2019-01-11 10:05:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The Comfort Inn that your big group is staying at.

I think I found a clip of that concierge
by sprack  (2019-01-11 11:12:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I’ll try to get his attention
by Bruno95  (2019-01-11 10:54:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

when he’s not outside pushing trash down with a stick.

Yelp isn't a whole lot better
by sprack  (2019-01-11 09:52:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It tells you restaurants in the area (and they don't do all that great a job at that either), but the ratings are worthless.

I find it helpful for the food/interior pics
by Smokin_Clover  (2019-01-11 10:28:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I agree about the reviews themselves.

Here's a hint: pictures of food are all taken by tools *
by ACross  (2019-01-11 16:28:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post