What should I know before I put in a swimming pool?
by o2v4nd (2019-07-15 15:29:07)
Edited on 2019-07-15 15:29:54

In-ground. Current plans are for a main pool 16' x 20', with separate attached spa and tanning pool (aka, Baja shelf, sun shelf) and swim-up seating. The pool company is advising a UV filtering system.

I'm a complete novice on this pool stuff. Never built one. Never owned one. What do I need to know?

Tangentially, I'm also planning a covered outdoor kitchen with natural gas grill, Kamado Joe grill and kegerator. Outdoor television for game watching.

I married a city girl, so a house on a lake isn't happening. Neither is ocean front property in SoCal. So I might as well go 'all in' on this.

Lesson learned from my brother
by 105Marquette  (2019-07-16 12:09:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He gave into his wife's demand for a pool. He searched for pool contractors, picked 3 or 4, got bids, signed on the line which is dotted, and paid a down payment.

The excavator got about 4 feet deep when they realized when the home developer who built the neighborhood did the tree removal, they buried all the tree stumps in my brother's backyard. Added an unforeseen $6k to the bill to remove them.

It is a sunk cost. It will add exactly 0$ to the value of
by 84david  (2019-07-16 09:03:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

of your house, and may even lower the market value, depending on the area.

Just do it for the fun, not as an investment, and you will enjoy.

The nervous Nellie responses
by SixShutouts66  (2019-07-16 01:42:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'd avoid any diving board. Ours came with one and it was dismantled when our boys decided it would be fun to see how far out they could dive (to the shallow end).

Keep a fence around the pool that is hard to unlock. The pool drew our 2 year old daughter like a magnet. One other time neighborhood kids thought it would be funny to lift a little kid over the fence to where our pool was.

Everyone survived, although I had to jump in the pool twice fully clothed to fish out our kids. Even in So Cal New Year's Day is dang cold.

Thanks for all the info (and humor)
by o2v4nd  (2019-07-16 00:14:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Although I never thought that jt would be so far behind the times.

Opening the pool will be the Second best day of your life! *
by beatgoeson  (2019-07-15 20:09:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It will be a magnet for your children or grandchildren...
by beatgoeson (click here to email the poster)  (2019-07-15 20:19:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

if so blessed. We don't have the lifestyle that allows Fri exits and Mon returns to and from the lake, so this has been very enjoyable for my spouse, children(grown now) and our grandchildren. I am the caretaker, which is a pain, except the occasional game of "The Lady and the Pool Boy", which I quite fancy.
Seriously, email me and I'll detail 12 years of inground pool experiences, which do involve some of the points others have made here.

I have the Kamado Joe Big Joe II.
by johnnysalami  (2019-07-15 19:19:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Frankly I don't use it as much as we should. We use Home Chef (meal prep service) 3x/week and usually eat out a couple nights a week too.

Part of the issue is my wife doesn't really want to get the charcoal started. But man, that Big Joe is an absolute beast- love having people over to cook pizzas on the pizza stone.

I think kids is the pool equalizer
by ShillelaghHugger  (2019-07-15 19:18:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I agree with prior posters that the ROI just isn't there for most people unless you have the money to pay someone else to upkeep it and you don't care what that costs.

I have a pool and spend inordinate amounts of time cleaning and maintaining it. Far more than I appreciated. But it's old and massive so that doesn't help.

But I have little kids and we live in AZ so we'll get years of enjoyment out of it. It's useful for 5 months out of the year. I know adults without children and frankly I don't get it. They rarely use it.

I was stunned at how you couldn't use the pool in AZ
by Wooderson  (2019-07-15 19:52:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

in February. I went down there expecting 85 and sunny and multiple pool days; it was below freezing overnight and never hit 82 the whole time.

Pools everywhere, and not a person in them.

Desert life.
by ShillelaghHugger  (2019-07-16 11:32:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's frustrating for people who travel in April and the pool isn't open even though its 90 out.

Join a local Pool or Country Club; Initial Investment;Upkeep
by Jammer  (2019-07-15 18:56:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

& Liability are ongoing expenses!

Spend your $$$ on a Great Outdoor kitchen & a Hot Tub;

Advice from one who put in a built-in pool 19 yrs and have not gotten the ROI I was expecting!

I put in a pool heater, but really wish we had a chiller
by sb  (2019-07-15 18:27:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We hardly ever use the heater. Our water temperature this last weekend was over 90 degrees, so we really could use the chiller.

I also highly recommend the salt chlorine generator. It really cuts down on the chemical costs.

Covered pool in Indianapolis for reference.

That’s insane. Maybe leave the cover off?
by Giggity_Giggity  (2019-07-15 22:50:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It’s been over 90 for a week here in MD and I’m at 82.

We have a lot of young neighbor kids
by Sb  (2019-07-15 23:05:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Leaving the cover off is a no go with the wife.

Sounds like you have a grandpa problem of him pissing in it *
by Frank Drebin  (2019-07-15 19:12:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I put one in over 10 years ago...
by DavidAddison  (2019-07-15 17:52:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

18x36 with like a half moon spa feeding into it. Shared heating and filtration systems unless you want spa mode, in which case the waterfalls from spa to pool stop and the heater focuses on the spa.

Auto cover very nice feature. Keeps dirt out, heat in (maybe not a benefit for Southern CA). It also is a very nice safety feature in that you can walk on it (i.e. no young kids can get in if it is closed). Also have in-floor cleaners, which basically do everything for you. We have people open and close it and weekly chem checks, plus then whenever a pump or something dies. Given we are over 10 years now we've replaced a lot.

Our backyard was previously unusable in summer due to southwest exposure, even in Illinois. Sweltering. If kids are the right age, adding a pool is a major plus.

Get some good multi-colored lighting, too (you can select any color you want or have it continually scroll through). Adds a ton at night. Depending on depth consider a slide. Also we have a b-ball hoop "built in" to the walkway around the pool (two bars hold it very sturdily in place but can be removed in winter).

Regarding chem checks I had never wanted to invest the time and effort into becoming independent on this but I'm in the midst of changing pool companies so now might be the time. Still would have to hire for opening and closing and major repairs.

My brother will give you his in ground pool
by thecontrarian (click here to email the poster)  (2019-07-15 17:48:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Thing needs constant cleaning and repair. I told him we should drive his old car into it and then fill it in with whatever crap we find around the house.

Watch out for floating Baby Ruths. DOODIE!!! *
by ArasEra  (2019-07-15 17:45:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

make sure that you're actually getting that bonus
by jt  (2019-07-15 17:45:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and not just a subscription to the jelly of the month club (even though it is the gift that gives all year long).

Don’t build it on tribal burial grounds. *
by inigomontoya  (2019-07-15 16:38:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

or where there were cavemen unless prom is around the corner *
by Irishlawyer  (2019-07-15 16:39:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I highly recommend an automatic cover
by irishrambler  (2019-07-15 16:15:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It avoids the need for a fence, reduces evaporation, and has solar heating and heat retention benefits.

The company we used is linked below (we're in San Diego too).

If you move forward with getting one, make sure your builder hides/integrates the tracks into your design rather than sticking the tracks on after the fact.

Just buy a weekend home with a pool. *
by The Holtz Room  (2019-07-15 16:11:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Needs to be within a 2 hours drive, though. *
by Wooderson  (2019-07-15 19:49:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I had one in Buffalo "back in the day." The kids loved it.
by Barney68  (2019-07-15 16:04:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

For me, it was nothing but work (cleaning, checking, painting) and cost (chemicals, parts, beer for my father-in-law who loved fiddling with the damn thing's mechanical systems (which was just as well as I didn't have the time).

Buffalo ain't California and I lost interest in swimming about a half century ago so "your mileage may vary," but for me, never again.

You will enjoy it.
by IAND75  (2019-07-15 16:03:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But it is a luxury and an ongoing expense. You just need to accept that.

You will need to decide up front about a salt water system versus typical chlorine. Salt water systems are very popular but need to have fittings and equipment designed for it. Not a big deal if you are starting from scratch.

You should ask up front about the expected life. Pumps probably last about 10 years max. Tile and plaster are about 12-15 years. We just redid ours. Not cheap. The expected life will vary by locale so you should understand what is typical for your area and the construction you use.

Annual chemical bills vary. Where you live you will likely be able to use some of what you are planning for the majority of the year so the chemical bill will be an ongoing expense.

Cleaning and other upkeep are simple, especially if you have a good robot pool sweep. They have improved a lot over the last few years.

We are unable to travel so our backyard is our vacation spot. It is a nice luxury, but is a great alternative to going to a resort for vacation. And I don’t feel guilty if the weather isn’t optimal and I decide not to use it for the weekend.

How to swim. *
by tdiddy07  (2019-07-15 15:54:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Pond not good enough for you? *
by Frank Drebin  (2019-07-15 15:54:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

On a related note, my BIL is in the process of converting
by o2v4nd  (2019-07-15 15:58:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

his Arizona swimming pool into a native pond. So, if this swimming pool thing doesn't work out, I'll have an expert lined up on how to return it to nature.

Your side yard might get destroyed
by ndphilly  (2019-07-15 15:52:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

from all of the trucks and other equipment going back and forth. 2 of my neighbors just had pools put in. Both yards need major landscaping repairs. I myself just completed a major pool renovation including a massive rock boulder waterfall and a new patio area with the TV and sound setup. My lawn was beautiful before the project began but once they brought the machines to the backyard to drop off all of the heavy materials, the lawn was destroyed and had to spend a few grand to have a landscaper fix it.

You won't regret the pool purchase, it's worth every penny if you ask me.

Good luck!

Our neighbor put one in and his best advice to me was.......
by Ty Webb  (2019-07-15 15:36:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Don't put one in.

It will make it more difficult to sell your house.
by Giggity_Giggity  (2019-07-15 15:34:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It will cost more than you think to keep it up, especially as the equipment ages and if you aren’t handy. Case in point: it costs $200 to get someone to look at my pool heater. I’ve fixed it four times in the past few years for $20 in parts, a few hours of sweating, and by watching a YouTube video.

It will mean that you host the preponderance of any family/friends get togethers (I find this a positive).

Make sure you have a heater unless you live on the sun. You will grow to enjoy the freedom of warming up the water in the early/late season or at night.

Where are you located?

I am a pool person, but you are correct on resale. Too many
by ndwifemom  (2019-07-15 17:59:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

people think a pool adds value when, in fact, it may be the opposite. Depends on where you live, I think. They seem to be ubiquitous in areas with year round heat, but not necessarily a good investment in areas with four real seasons. My brother has one in NJ. Replacing the heater would have cost $5000. Cover was $1000 to replace. His late Labrador used it more than anyone.

In the end homeowners should do what they want. If a family enjoys a pool or you like to swim laps (great exercise), go for it. Just understand the realities.

Labradors and pools - yes!
by bizdomer09  (2019-07-15 22:51:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They love them. It’s awesome. My parents also had a yellow lab in CA who used their pool more than anyone. She would go for a swim whenever she felt like it. For some reason it gave me great joy just to see the dog jump in and doggypaddle around on her own. Aside from the dog I don’t think we used the pool much, but it was great when we did, and from that there are many good memories I still carry.

How much does heating your pool drive up your
by TWO  (2019-07-15 16:49:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

electric bill. It doesn't seem like you can just turn it on and in a a short time have a nice comfortable water temp.

My heater is natural gas, and yes, it's quick.
by Giggity_Giggity  (2019-07-15 17:14:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I can go up 2 degrees an hour in full sun, usually about 1 degree an hour overnight.

The natural gas costs me about $100 for a whole summer of usage. I probably run the heater for 100 hours a season, and a 240K BTU pool heater uses about 2.5 therms of NG per hour. At $0.45-ish per therm, that equates to just over a dollar an hour.

Natural Gas, I hadn't thought of that..
by TWO  (2019-07-15 17:35:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

very neat.

I have a picture in my mind
by mitquinn  (2019-07-15 17:23:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Your pool is full of ginger ale and you toggle the nat gas temps to secure rib basting excellence....

I am well marbled, so braising works wonders. *
by Giggity_Giggity  (2019-07-15 17:37:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Along the lines of upkeep
by raygun  (2019-07-15 15:58:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You'll have a lot of work to do in terms of cleaning the pool and maintaining the right balance of chemicals. My parents have one and my dad works on it every day for those activities alone.

The UV filtering is supposed to alleviate most
by o2v4nd  (2019-07-15 16:02:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

of the chemical balancing. Supposedly, or so I'm told. That's one of things I'm trying to identify sales pitch vs reality on.

And I work out of my house, so tending to the pool can provide a nice break during the day. I can understand how it might be challenge if I was spending long days away from home though.

Yeah, I actually enjoy the evening ritual of going out...
by Giggity_Giggity  (2019-07-15 16:09:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...to the pool, cracking open a beer, and checking everything out. It's a nice transition from work to home.

What’s yer address, yer on Briar, right? You got a pool over
by 1NDGal  (2019-07-15 15:45:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

dere?

Thanx fer the invite, pal. Gee whiz.

I propose NDN DAY AT GIGGITY’S! 1:00 to 1:15 pm.

Homes here sell much more quickly with a pool
by o2v4nd  (2019-07-15 15:40:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

than without. I'm in Southern California / Temecula.

Ah ha. Then you're good. *
by Giggity_Giggity  (2019-07-15 15:58:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Put down the deposit AFTER you get your Christmas bonus
by bwahmeister  (2019-07-15 15:33:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You're the last true family man