I would propose a preemptive course of action.
by Bruno95 (2019-08-23 13:40:29)

In reply to: Rumor-Carroll getting demoed *  posted by AIRBORNEIRISH

Statements of fact:

1. Notre Dame never had jurisdiction over Carroll. Their rules did not apply west of Holy Cross Drive. We drank what we wanted and we claimed we fucked chicks. They at least slept over a lot.

2. 93% of all times I have laughed myself into a respiratory event occurred in that building.

3. Of the 20 strangest people I've ever met, least eleven lived in Carroll.

4. Guys who lived there once lit a steel trash can on fire, as part of a "homeless person" party theme.

Notre Dame has no authority and should be given no ability to "demolish" Carroll Hall.

But there's no need to be pussies about it and protest.

Instead, this should be handled as a matter of commonwealth business. We should agree on a day -- maybe Friday of an exam week -- and burn it the fuck down. I am willing to contribute some jet fuel and $1,500 worth of alcohol for this party. I'll see if I can't get the Mrs. to give me an HJ in a van in D6 at the end of the night.

Does this proposal interest anyone?

I'm not an alum, but I like fire and bum wine *
by meatwhistle  (2019-08-23 15:54:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I would add some of my favorite memories were:
by Vermin96  (2019-08-23 15:33:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

1 - the Haunted House Carroll guys used to put on (before the pc police took over and all fun was eliminated). My freshman year we had a chain saw scene in the basement that caused one girl to wet her pants. My sophomore year we had the Tunnel of Touchy-Feely on the second floor (which I believe caused a few complaints).

2 - My senior year I had a full bar in my room...I'm talking most every type of liquor possible, complete with pourers, along with mixers...SYRs our senior year were phenomenal. I'm told having a stash like that these days would not only get me kicked off campus, but likely kicked out of school.

3 - Full-on poker games my junior and senior year in the middle of the hallway on the fourth floor...we'd pull out a table and set up shop in the middle of the hallway and play all hours into the night.

4 - Parietals were viewed as a recommendation, not necessarily something to be followed. I cannot remember anyone being busted for a violation of parietals during my 4 years there. We used to joke that Carroll's overnight population was 106 Sunday-Thursday but on Fridays and Saturdays it ballooned up to about 120 on average.

5 - Our own section of SDH regardless of which side was serving (left-left or right-left). It was pretty much respected by other students.

I remember going straight from those poker games to finals
by rflor  (2019-08-23 15:42:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

including an Accounting final that I had taken as a "what the hell" elective senior year and prioritized the poker game over any amount of studying.

The touchy-feely tunnel was on the first floor and ultimately what caused the Haunted House to get shut down.

We showed up the year adter
by AIRBORNEIRISH  (2019-08-23 15:49:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And we did well enough to set several traditions like the go Irish banner, winning regatta boat for 15+ years, Christmas tree thing, etc

We also created the boozic (or busic) fest, held parties on the chapel roof, and were the last class to have hard liquor/ lax parietals policy. I also smoked in the dorm because it was allowed by du lac but god that was gross in hindsight.

On #4, that was my room and roommates our junior year* *
by Vermin96  (2019-08-23 15:14:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Yeah I remember that one too, and it followed
by rflor  (2019-08-23 15:38:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the infamous "Hall Notes" scandal.

I’m ok with this.
by AIRBORNEIRISH  (2019-08-23 14:49:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But only if at the end of the party we spray paint Carroll on the front of every guys dorm and every girls dorm too because Carroll is a girls name.

Wouldn’t that be a waste of a glorious specimen of French
by 1NDGal  (2019-08-23 14:22:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Gothic architecture?

I was so hoping the Plan would be to send a Special Ops Unit of NDN Meanies and Vermin Alumnae to campus and effect a Carroll Coup. (I was going to say “hostile takeover” except never would a group of men be so ecstatic to become subjects to a foreign power.)

Take over the joint. Make it into Carroll Nation. Form a gubmint with a King, a Benevolent Despot, an unelected Duma, a Rush Chairman, and also some Carroll-ales as the muscle arm of the young state.

I will design all uniforms and regalia. Humbly.

Yes! Everyone should bring their old khakis.
by ferndog  (2019-08-23 14:18:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We’ll soak them in the jet fuel, and toss them on the funeral pyre.

The Homeless Person party theme sounds awesome.
by akaRonMexico  (2019-08-23 13:50:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Coming up with a theme is one thing, following thru with it is what truly makes it special.

For a section dance we planned to decorate the whole hallway walls with pink insulation, and then pput a brown fur rug around the outside the main party room door. Inside the party room would be a giant ball. At some point during shortly before parietals, someone in an all white costume would burst into the room and throw a bucket of white yo cream on some unexpecting party goers.

The party theme - A Journey Thru the Vas Deferens.

It was nixed largely due to funds (that insulation was way too expensive for such a use) and because we ended up on probation for our "you can't fit in, you can't come in". Skinny girl cardboard cut out party.

They were kicked off campus for it *
by Bruno95  (2019-08-23 13:52:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It was a full size metal trash barrel. In a wooden dorm.
by Giggity_Giggity  (2019-08-23 17:04:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Legendary stuff.

Wicked smaht. *
by 1NDGal  (2019-08-23 17:50:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They were, but they ended up ok for themselves at Oak Hill *
by Vermin96  (2019-08-23 15:16:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Plus they were allowed to stay through the end of their junior year...they weren't immediately kicked out. If memory serves, it happened sometime early in the spring semester (still cold af outside).

We got away with Christmas in a Leper Colony.
by Ofcr. Tim McCarthy  (2019-08-23 14:03:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Fake blood, disassembled mannequins, lights and tinsel.

But we were Flanner, which was for men, and they knew it.

The Pearl Harbor SYR seemed like a good idea
by milhouse  (2019-08-23 20:40:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

in the early 90s. Tagline: "The Night We All Got Bombed."

1990 or 1991 had the "Welcome to the (Urban) Jungle" SYR, which saw the dorm giving out doo-rags as tokens and decorating with chain link fencing and concrete blocks.

Can former Manor residents attend?
by Rockbrig97  (2019-08-23 13:43:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I guess it was just the relative proximity of our dorms, and a good group of guys in Carroll, but a lot of the guys I'd hang out with outside of my own dorm were Vermin.

No.
by Bruno95  (2019-08-23 13:47:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Partially for your own good. (The jet fuel)