HP 12-c. Who had one? Do you still have it? Just pulled mine
by zaggradirishfan (2019-09-21 01:31:34)

out of the desk drawer at home to show the kids. I used it for years in commercial real estate finance after college.

It's from 1988 at Gonzaga. Reverse polish notation has forever made it impossible for me to use a calculator. I can but it is so ingrained for rpn in my brain

Any others?

I'm a commercial banker, use it every day still *
by ColoNDFan  (2019-09-23 10:59:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Ever hear of Lotus 123? Weirdo. *
by Nitschke  (2019-09-22 06:40:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I eschewed it for a TI. Never figured it out.
by Giggity_Giggity  (2019-09-22 00:46:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It hasn’t harmed my career in finance.

I could never handle RPN.
by cincysubdomer  (2019-09-22 06:35:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I need parentheses.

Why do you care if I have HPV? *
by PWK2  (2019-09-21 12:47:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Only sinners get that vaccine! *
by Wooderson  (2019-09-21 16:22:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Somewhere in my crap, there's a HP-67 from the 70s
by nd71  (2019-09-21 10:06:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

with its mag strips.

What a marvel it was.

I've still got mine. Use it all the time. *
by milhouse  (2019-09-21 09:22:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Old one long gone; have the app...
by Kbyrnes  (2019-09-21 08:38:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...on my phone. The interface looks exactly like the classic 12-C. You can virtually flip it over; but, as I told my business partner, you can't scratch your name on the back (a reference to the 90s when I worked in an office where everyone had one on the corner of their desk).

I empathize with your fixation on rpn, but even on the 12-C you could set it to act like a normal calculator.

Yup, sittin' right here in front of the computer.
by dbldomer7375  (2019-09-21 08:33:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

According to the HP museum website (at the link, below) my 12C was manufactured in the 44th week of 1986, so I've probably had it since 1987.

Use it quite a bit.

1995, 4th week, Singapore, for mine *
by Emil  (2019-09-21 16:34:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Absolutely. still use the HP 12C. Since MBA school in 1987.
by docsfan  (2019-09-21 08:20:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

In recent years I would occasionally hand it to someone much more tech savvy than me. They needed to borrow a calculator for a quick calculation. Then it was time for this old person (me) to smile. RPN gets them every time.

Thanks to others about the app suggestion.

There’s an App for that!
by braille  (2019-09-21 07:42:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

12C user for decades. Now have it on my phone; a good App and eliminates carrying the old calculator out of the office.

Same - switched to an app *
by StillGolden  (2019-09-21 07:57:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Yes I still have mine
by 96_ND  (2019-09-21 06:42:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I have had mine for well over 15 years. I used it in grad school and I still use the same calculator at work now. I can use a 'regular' calculator but much prefer the 12-c as I find it easier to use and more efficient.

I still have my slide rule. Never had the early calculators
by so-it-goes  (2019-09-21 06:09:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

when they emerged in the late sixties. I remember a fellow Mechanical Engr major showing us his HP he received for Christmas I believe in ‘68!
I did get a TI a few years after college for work. Bare bones model.

I have mine, too! As to calculators, I remember a ...
by Barney68  (2019-09-21 08:18:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

colleague bringing an early model to work: size and weight of a brick; tiny glowing red numbers at the bottom of wells so that you had to hold it just right to see them; batteries lasted for minutes; 8 digits and no decimal point; no functions other than add, subtract, multiply, and divide. It had cost Priebe $500 perfectly good 1968 or 1969 American dollars.

I thought to myself, "this will never catch on" and hugged the old Pickett close to my chest.

It is possible that I was wrong ...

Still have my Pickett in high visibility yellow.
by dbldomer7375  (2019-09-21 08:34:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Wife has her K&E bamboo/ivory slip stick.

A necessity in freshman engineering.

Yellow it is! And with tiny screws that you can use ...
by Barney68  (2019-09-21 09:33:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

to align the top and bottom parts.