Basement Flooding
by ND Trumpet (2020-08-10 08:40:48)

Our area got clobbered Friday night and we, and many of our neighbors, had flooded basements. At most, we had 6 to 8 inches of water. We got the water pumped out Friday night. My wife and I spent the better part of the last two days removing carpet and pads. We have multiple fans and dehumidifiers going. I had the wet/dry vac running.

ServPro is finally able to come sometime today. They, and the other companies like them, have waiting lists hundreds long in our area. Our crew is actually coming in from San Antonio.

I'd love to hear this board's experiences in getting back to normal after something like this. How long before things were dry ans safe enough to being reconstruction? What were your experiences with the insurance claims aspect? Any long term issues to be aware of?

I'm so exhausted right now I can barely move.

some experience
by DavidAddison  (2020-08-10 15:40:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I haven't had your exact situation, but...

* padding is always shot after getting meaningfully wet
* much of the carpet could be saved if enough industrial fans were down there. We've had our basement carpet fluttering like a flag in the wind before
* I'm not a drywall expert but they cut it slightly above water line and then redo...actually not a huge deal

You are in reasonably good shape because the water was pumped out so quickly. Mold takes three days of moisture...if you have everything blowing/dehumidifiering etc. then you could have it dry within three days.

Long term issue is making sure it never happens again. We had to spend over $10K once to get ours fixed...literally went from a waterfall coming into basement during meaningful rain to not a drop in over 10 years. Very expensive but money well spent.

Our hot water tank let go in the middle of the night
by TCIrish03  (2020-08-10 11:01:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I went downstairs in the morning and our finished basement was covered with an inch of water.

State Farm was pretty good about handling everything. Family friend is in HVAC, and he took care of the hew hot water tank and furnace (water got inside furnace and the fiber ductboard for the air return, it was old anyway). Fortunately, there was deemed no mold risk. Some of the studs have water marks on them, but we just put down new carpet and baseboards.

Agree with below that more important is finding the source of water entry and doing what you can to prevent it.

I am switching to tankless this week, prior to finishing
by Jimbo Irish  (2020-08-10 11:36:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

For exactly this reason. I've known several people who've had this issue. It's only a matter of time with a water heater tank that it will rust out and cause a flood. It's one of the only appliances in the house where it's a good idea to replace before it actually dies.

Our plumber says that he recommends that you crawl under it with a flashlight at least once a year to inspect it and make sure there are no visible signs of rust or corrosion.

That was covered?
by ndtnguy  (2020-08-10 11:34:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

When ours did that I didn't even turn it in because the State Farm policy definitely read like it was excluded. Crap.

They covered our entire basement.
by doolinbanjos  (2020-08-10 11:43:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Water heater died, but it was more of a slow leak and did not get above the faux hardwood floors so no damage to furniture or (thank heaven) the bar.

But it was a hefty price to replace the floors and do the mold remediation. They covered it all

Do you know where the water is coming in?
by Jimbo Irish  (2020-08-10 10:08:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I can't be of much help with how to handle the current damage, but I did recently undergo a project to get a flooding issues resolved with my unfinished basement that we are preparing to finish.

Our problem was that water was coming into what they call the "fingerspace" which is a small gap between the foundation and the brick. It's literally the space that the the bricklayer's fingers leave when laying the brick. Water eventually finds its way in there over the years and you have to put a drain to push the water away from the foundation out into a french drain in the yard. Depending on slope, you might also need a sump-pump.

Obviously, you should look into getting someone out to have something similar done so that you can avoid future issues. My work came with a 5-year warranty which was a nice benefit.

Our Experience
by CndDomer  (2020-08-10 09:30:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Three years ago we had a wall water pipe freeze and break (in NC, so it was a bit unexpected). It must have broken right after we left for work because when we returned 8 hours later there was at least 6" of water over the entire basement. The basement was a poured slab with a combination of finished and unfinished, carpet and linoleum, about 1200 sqft in total. ServPro came out the next day and removed the carpet, linoleum and 18" up from every drywall surface. They also left blowers in the house for about a week. ServPro seemed slightly overpriced to me, but not excessively so. Blowers were $25-$50 per day per blower, so we probably could have purchased our own for less. Overall they were very professional and did a very good job and we were pleased.

At the end of that week we had our homeowners insurance adjuster come out and walk around the house to determine the cost of replacement. They covered the cost of the pipe replacement and the ServPro remediation based on the receipts. To calculate the cost of replacement, they took measurements of the rooms to calculate sqft and then used a formula to determine the replacement value. $x per sqft of carpet, $y per linear foot of baseboard. The dollar amount was based on the existing material type. Solid pine stained baseboards were a higher value that white composite boards. Adder for baseboard topper and quarter-round. Quality of carpet, quality of underpad, etc. We had two layers of linoleum under the carpet. They covered the cost of replacing two layers of linoleum and the carpet (which I thought was strange, but I'll take more money.) One thing we argued over was cost of paint. They wanted to cover the cost to replace only the 18' of removed drywall. No one only paints 1/5th of a wall.
Overall we felt they came in slightly low, so we had two independent estimates done, which came in a few thousand higher. They wouldn't really budge and I think we ended up getting $500 more.

We opted for a check directly from the insurance company, instead of them paying the contractor directly. We wanted to finish the entire basement and I'm pretty handy so we felt we could more the money stretch further. The insurance cut a cheque for already out of pocket costs (the plumber, ServPro), repair of items (computer, furniture ... all with receipts). They then cut a cheque for %50 of the remainder and then needed receipts for the balance (to make sure we just didn't pocket the cash).

All in all it went pretty smoothly. I think it really depends upon the adjuster sent out. I also can't stress this enough ... DO THE WALK THROUGH WITH THEM AND MAKE SURE THEY ARE CORRECTLY ACCOUNTING FOR WHAT WAS THERE.

3 years later, I still haven't finished my own baseboards.

Not the same
by Denver Jim  (2020-08-10 11:12:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Your loss was covered because it was caused by a frozen pipe. Unfortunately an HO policy will not cover this loss if it's caused by flood or surface water. That's a standard exclusion. Of course if he has a flood policy it will be covered.

Is there a reason basements are so popular?
by Bob Loblaw  (2020-08-10 09:25:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Most are just a giant pain in the ass. I don't know why new homes have them.

My favorite place of the homes I’ve lived in that have one
by Stonebreaker42  (2020-08-10 22:24:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Year ‘round ~68 degrees, dark & quiet. As mentioned below, kids have a place to make noise, keep their toys out of the way. Same thing for me when/if ND football becomes worth getting worked up for again. Almost doubles livable square footage, more than doubles storage, great place for utility/mud room. Oh the premium I’d pay for a basement in DFW...

Hacienda De La Paz
by Trekker  (2020-08-10 16:56:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Rolling Hills has a one story height limit.

If you can’t build up. You can always build down.

Tennis Court
Pool
Etc.

No idea. I loathe basements.
by garbageplate  (2020-08-10 15:24:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Dark, cold, wet and bug infested. I've never understood the appeal.

When my wife and I were recently looking at homes, I never wanted to waste any time being sold on the merits of the basement for anything other than a place to store things.

As someone living below sea-level, I concur.
by Keenan4w  (2020-08-10 14:39:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

On the plus side, if I dig a post hole I make a very small pond.

I have heard tales of Giggity Giggity's basement
by ND Trumpet  (2020-08-10 11:53:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Apparently it is wondrous.

I have an Irish Pub in my basement.
by doolinbanjos  (2020-08-10 11:45:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's the happiest place on earth.

Frost depth, as mentioned below.
by Snow Bowl  (2020-08-10 10:46:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Or sloping lots, which result in a walk-out basement.

In addition to the reasons others have mentioned
by reilly  (2020-08-10 10:30:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

basements are the best place to go during tornado warnings. Living in Alabama, that is a significant issue.

I would like a second story basement if I could *
by DBCooper  (2020-08-10 10:30:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Added space, smaller footprint..........
by Ty Webb  (2020-08-10 10:07:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Take two homes, one with a basement, one built on slab. Same lot footprint, one has way more space than the other.

We have a playroom for the kids and a man cave for myself without having to clutter our living and family room upstairs with toys, etc. Our mechanicals are in the basement which means our heater and A/C doesn't eat up closet/mudroom space on the main floor. We have tons of storage that I can easily access without having to crawl my ass up into an attic or crawl space.

In the 7 years we have been here, we've had lots of bad rains storms and no water issues at all (knock on wood). The houses in our development are mostly properly graded, french drains installed in the basement as well as sump pump holes for those that might need a sump pump.

Now on the flip side, my parents basement floods from time to time and it's a pain in the ass.

Good question. Because other than
by pmcdnd96  (2020-08-10 09:53:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

-(If finished) Extra living space with relatively constant temperature
-Extra storage space with relatively constant temperature
-Convenient location for heating equipment
-Convenient location for electrical
-(If finished) Place to send the kids where they can make noise and be messy without destroying the antique dining room table

...I can't really think of anything.

I would posit that the overwhelming majority of basements are never problematic.

Plus, by the time you dig down below the frost line
by cincysubdomer  (2020-08-10 10:16:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

for the house foundations, you're most of the way there anyway.

Basements rule. *
by Irish Tool  (2020-08-10 09:48:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That's a productive comment to the thread
by ND Trumpet  (2020-08-10 09:27:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Nice thread hijack

In our case it adds 33% more living space for our family of 6 and this is the first time we've had an issue in 9 years of living here.

Take pictures of all your stuff
by El Kabong  (2020-08-10 08:52:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Make sure you document and photograph everything ServPro removes from your home. My in-laws had a fire, and if they hadn't documented everything, let's just say some of their stuff would have walked away.

Well, not all it ...PLEASE! *
by Frank Drebin  (2020-08-10 09:45:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post