Torii Hunter Jr's unflagged hit vs Texas was just as brutal.
by hibernianangst (2020-01-31 13:41:43)

In reply to: Jevan Snead  posted by TWO

What justice did he receive? Our Stanford law leader was again publicly missing in action in calling for protection of players and the most severe punishment of the braggadocious perpetrators.

Texas fans to this day insist it was a clean hit *
by knutesteen  (2020-01-31 16:24:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'd have to agree..
by TWO  (2020-01-31 23:07:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I participate a lot on InsideTexas and the vast majority feel that at worst it was an inadvertent hit, or that he hit his shoulder, that there was no intent, etc. Most agreed though that it was a brutal collision just not one that was entirely the fault of the Texas player.

I would disagree with those who characterize Texas fans as anything other than good fans. Now I was at the Texas/Ohio State game in 2005 and witnessed some really bad behavior towards anybody wearing Texas gear.

I was at the 2006 return game in Austin and Ohio State fans came away saying they were surprised at how good and welcoming Texas fans and Austin were to them. They didn't expect that.

The Texas fans near us were redneck dicks
by acrossdmiddle  (2020-02-02 21:26:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Even they were quiet as church mice while they reviewed the Hunter hit, fearing a penalty.

We had a very bad experience after the game with TX fans.
by hibernianangst  (2020-02-02 22:29:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Even Jimmy Dunne did not run a full page thank you newspaper ad in the Austin American Statesman.

Stockholm syndrome? *
by golfjunkie17  (2020-02-02 21:12:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It was one of the worst hits to the head I have seen
by 1978Irish  (2020-02-01 11:56:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If it isn’t targeting, they should get rid of the rule.

They need to penalize these types of hits so players change the way they play.

You agree with what? That Texas fans think it was clean
by ACross  (2020-02-01 00:28:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Or that it was in fact clean?

I hope the former
by pmcdnd96  (2020-02-02 09:24:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I have seen worse hits, but that collision was the very definition of what both the NFL and NCAA are writing rules to eliminate:
-defenseless player
-contact initiated with helmet
-defensive player launched into the hit

I still have no idea how that wasn't called

I always think about how Holtz would have reacted.
by RagingBull  (2020-02-02 14:27:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I imagine he might have taken his team off the field.

If your players are in danger why continue? Because it's Notre Dame-Texas on national TV?

There is no debate as to whether multiple head injuries lead to long-term medical conditions. The issue is whether the rules as currently drafted serve the players enough.

If you don't enforce the rules why put your kids' health at risk?

I know you live in the belly of the beast.
by hibernianangst  (2020-01-31 16:44:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

So you know that most Texas fans are delusional and full of shit.