off the front page
by olson (2022-05-22 13:21:32)
Edited on 2022-08-29 13:30:04

I think Bentley was '93. He was on the cover of SI that year
by NJIrish04  (2022-05-25 12:24:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My recollection is he said that Holtz also told him "you didn't make a 4 year mistake, you made a 40 year mistake."

also off the front page (link)
by olson  (2022-05-25 14:31:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

No problem. Always enjoy your entries. Thanks again *
by NJIrish04  (2022-05-25 15:08:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My favorite class: 1990
by PWK2  (2022-05-24 16:18:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My sister (an alumna) wrote a monthly newsletter, and I contributed a rundown of this class. At that time, I was consumed with ND recruiting. Wish I'd kept the writeup.

Hard to beat this class:

Quarterback: Kevin McDougal

Fullbacks: Jerome Bettis, Dean Lytle

Tailbacks: Jeff Burris

Receivers: Lake Dawson, Clint Johnson

Tight End: Oscar McBride

Offensive Line: Aaron Taylor, Tim Ruddy, Mike McGlinn

Defensive Line: Bryant Young, Jim Flanigan, Oliver Gibson, Brian Hamilton

Linebacker: Pete Bercich, Anthony Peterson

Defensive Backs: Tom Carter, Greg Lane, John Covington, Willie Clark, LeShane Saddler

Probably the greatest class in my memory. *
by RallyingSon  (2022-06-07 15:35:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Thanks for this, Olson
by montroy28  (2022-05-23 16:11:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Did you ever do one for 1991? That was my class and I lived with one player for a year.

Paul Grasmanis went to the local high school where I now live and was part of a very successful period for the team, a standard they really don't reach anymore these days. A very good guy from all accounts.

"Knight ran into academic difficulties, which led to
by G.K.Chesterton  (2022-05-22 15:23:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

a different direction." I wonder what that means.

- From a 2020 "Best ND recruits from Tennessee" article from the late great Lou Somogyi.

At the risk of stating the obvious, Jonathan Ogden was later inducted into the Pro Football HOF.

Derrick Mayes later won a Super Bowl ring with the Packers.

Thank you as always for the great info.

Bill Wagasy (Link)
by irishrock  (2022-05-22 13:49:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

impressive background and man...I don't remember him as playing much for ND

Very good man indeed! *
by Irish2003  (2022-05-23 18:35:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He's been busy in the last 25 years *
by Raoul  (2022-05-23 14:21:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post