Postgame interview of Andy Reid by Peter King...
by Kbyrnes (2024-02-12 18:03:22)

...I found the first 5 minutes or so more interesting than the rest; Reid broke down some of the plays on the final drive. Bears fans can note that Reid praises Matt Nagy for designing the 4th & 1 option play where Mahomes kept the ball and got a big gain for the first down. Nagy was 35-31 with the Bears, with no postseason wins; with the Chiefs, he has two Super Bowl wins. My wife asked if Mahomes wasn't one of the QBs available when the Bears drafted Mitch Trubisky. I confirmed it but with Bears-fan pessimism noted that Mahomes probably would have had only a so-so career with da Bears.

Mahomes would have been a lot better than so-so as a Bear.
by dfw  (2024-02-13 15:55:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He wouldn't have become as good as he is, i.e., best in the game and reaching Jordanian levels of "don't bet against him", but he'd have become the beat Bears qb ever.

Best Bears' QB ever is like BK's biggest bowl win at ND...
by Scoop80  (2024-02-13 16:08:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's like most generous/least self-serving act of JS as ND.

Maybe Sprack can tell the rest of us about seeing Sid Luckman play. After that, McMahon's occasional bouts of (relative) health are the high point.

I recently saw a Twitter question “Who are your favorite
by sprack  (2024-02-13 22:25:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

teams top 3 quarterbacks of all time?”

Bears fans invariably responded with variations of “Unfair question to Bears fans” or “The Bears don’t have three”.

I was having none of it. I responded Bob Avellini, Kent Nix and of course, Bobby Douglass.

I still think Lovie Smith should be in the Hall of Fame just for getting the Bears to the Super Bowl with Rex Grossman.

I respond with Cutler, Jim Miller and Mcmahon I suppose.
by DomerJon  (2024-02-14 09:05:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

pretty sad right.

Two out of three ARE bad *
by sprack  (2024-02-14 12:20:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I have to go with the guys I grew up with:
by BeijingIrish  (2024-02-14 09:30:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

George Blanda, Ed Brown, and Billy Wade.

Is there no love for Rudy "two bounce" Bukich? *
by Denver Jim  (2024-02-14 12:53:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Or Jack Concannon *
by ram  (2024-02-17 08:07:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

First guys I remember were Evans and Avellini, both bad. *
by DomerJon  (2024-02-14 10:09:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Add Mike Phipps. That’s my blurry memory as a kid - all 3
by bizdomer09  (2024-02-16 12:34:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Not sure who was the starter when. I think they alternated back and forth. More-so Avellini in the earliest handoff to #34 days.

The first that I vaguely remember were Wade and Bukich. Not
by Hati Hijau  (2024-02-14 13:19:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

too bad under Papa Bear Halas, and then came the slide: Concannon, Carter, Douglas, and the 1969 season (1-13). It was (no pun intended) unbearable. We watched the games on the family TV, with verbal bets on how they would f' up the next or any given play, especially in the red zone. That season exceeded the Keystone Cops and Three Stooges in striving for hilarity. They were truly a f'n joke. The eras of Dooley and Gibron were torturous, and made us weep.

And Evans was a USC guy. His main talent for the Trojans
by sprack  (2024-02-14 12:36:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

was handing off to Ricky Bell and Mosi Tatupu. He beat us twice as a starter but but other than one big pass play in the '76 game, he was largely a game manager type quarterback. It was the same for the Bears when his main strength was handing off to Walter Payton.

PS: Ed Brown
by BeijingIrish  (2024-02-14 09:50:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Whenever I think of the incomparable Joe Kuharich, I think of Ed Brown who quarterbacked the undefeated USF Dons in 1951 coached by Kuharich. My dad, a big fan of Ollie Matson and the Chicago Cardinals, used to tell me about that USF team. In addition to Brown and Matson, USF had Gino Marchetti, Bob St. Clair, and Dick Stanfel (who would later coach at ND). Pete Rozelle was the asst AD!

USF's campus was right across the road
by jt  (2024-02-14 13:27:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

from my dad's high school alma mater (St Ignatius). My dad came along a few years later, but he got to know a lot of those guys (especially Stanfel) very well. I believe Stanfel was involved in trying to get the program re-started at USF at one point. My dad also had a chance to practice basketball with Bill Russell and KC Jones, who were at USF when he was at SI.

My dad was a Cardinals fan also
by sprack  (2024-02-14 12:25:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It kind of went with the territory - if you were a White Sox fan you were a Cardinals fan, and if you were a Cub fan you were a Bears fan. That was not easy in the 1930's when the Cubs were going to the World Series and the Bears were dominating the NFL.

My dad eventually did become a Bears fan, but it took him 15 years after the Cardinals left to fully get there - and when the Cardinals left they were dead to him as they were with just about all their former fans. There really was no such thing as a St. Louis Cardinal fan in Chicago. Fortunately he wasn't one of THOSE people who became Packer fans.

Dad never bothered with the South Side-North Side stuff
by BeijingIrish  (2024-02-15 10:06:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He was a fan of all the Chicago teams. When I say "fan" I refer to the CWS and the Cardinals. When it came to da Bearss and the Cubs, he was a fanatic. He grew up on the North Shore after all. But he didn't like Northwestern because it was in Evanston, the home of New Trier's hated rival, the Evanston HS Wildkits. He rooted for the Fighting Illini.

My dad was from the West Side, but
by sprack  (2024-02-16 15:41:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

my grandfather when he first arrived in the US in 1907, lived on the South Side for a few years with his brother (who stayed on the South Side). That decade was the glory years for both teams - the Cubs won the World Series the following year, only 108 years before the next time - and he became a Sox fan due to proximity after embracing baseball. By the time he moved to the West Side, the Cubs had moved from the West Side to the North Side.

And on the West Side, it was divided and of course as kids the Cub fans (including his two closest lifelong friends) would jab my dad mercilessly about being a Sox fan when they were terrible and the Cubs were good. Of course that's the age when it all gets solidified, as it was for me growing up in the western suburbs.

The Cardinals were secondary (he was always primarily a Notre Dame fan as any Catholic kid was then), but since they played in Comiskey Park they were part of the package.

I was a White Sox and St. Louis Cardinals fan, surrounded by
by Hati Hijau  (2024-02-14 13:36:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

obnoxious cub fans. But I was a steadfast Bears fan, and remember continued bad blood with the football Cardinals. Years later, Conrad Dobler made it easy to hate the football Cardinals.

on that 4th and 1 play (and earlier zone read conversion)
by jt  (2024-02-13 00:16:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

in the SF scheme, the OLB has the qb on zone read. The chiefs hadn't shown that this year, so the first one is understandable. The second one, however, was frustrating for the defense, in particular Nick Bosa; there is a still frame shot of him in pursuit on the play, with his arms up on each side as if to say, "where the fuck were you" to the OLB.

The OLB who was responsible? The backup to Dre Greenlaw, who left with an injury (and the drop off is substantial). It just goes to show that you are only as strong as your weakest link.

Also, Jon Feliciano has been the starting right guard for SF and he went down with an injury later in the game. On the final offensive play for the night for SF, the protection call was "man" which means the guard to each side has the first DL and the tackle has the second to "space" (meaning if there is no DL, he blocks the first guy who shows outside). The first DL happened to be Chris Jones, and Spencer Burford (the replacement) went inside instead of blocking him and the tackle kicked out. Nobody blocked Jones, so even though 3 guys (BA, Kittle, and Jennings) ended up open, Jones crashed in and disrupted the play and Purdy didn't have time.

(edit: play at the link)

Again, only as strong as your depth. It can be the difference between winning and losing a super bowl.

the Jones play reminded me of ND/Miami 2point conversion
by irishrock  (2024-02-13 10:31:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

play when Williams forced a quicker pass at a tougher trajectory letting Terrell knock the ball down.

Of all the guys to leave unblocked, Chris Jones was not the guy to do that to.

Hats off to 49'ers. Chiefs are my team, but I've always like 49'ers because of Montana and them ending the Cowboys 70's run. I went in early Monday to cash my bets and the 49'ers are the odds on favorite to win 2025 Super Bowl.

Nagy had some interesting play designs...
by Marine Domer  (2024-02-12 20:24:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

but was not a good head coach.

Nit: Nagy was 34-33 with the Bears, including playoffs.
by G.K.Chesterton  (2024-02-12 18:10:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Coincidentally, Trubisky is available again.

Right you are...
by Kbyrnes  (2024-02-12 20:06:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...I only looked at the regular season table. Subconsciously I guess I didn't want to dwell on that past!