Niners fire Steve Wilks
by jt (2024-02-14 15:23:47)

Bad fit.

Keep an eye on a big name.

I saw Steven A. is going for the John Saunders Award
by Carlos Huerta  (2024-02-15 19:51:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Called it a "bad look". Does that make giving up 450 yards at home in a conference title game "a good look"?

these guys can't make up their mind
by jt  (2024-02-16 11:47:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

it's unfair that the Niners have received so many comp picks for developing minority candidates for head coach and GM positions, but it's also unfair that they fire an underperforming DC who just so happens to be a man of color.

Belichick is tanned, hoodied and ready *
by Dr Muppet  (2024-02-15 12:05:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Steve? *
by JBrock18  (2024-02-16 12:13:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Pete Carroll would be an even better choice
by jt  (2024-02-15 12:28:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

oh man, that would be funny. Runs the scheme that Kyle wants to run; is from the area originally and has coached there in the past. And let's not forget that he would get to coach against the Seahawks 2 times a year.

That said, almost no chance for either of those guys I would imagine.

Actually, I would love to see Carroll as their DC. *
by usaf_irish  (2024-02-15 13:27:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I assume you're not a 49ers fan *
by pmcdnd96  (2024-02-15 21:59:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I have no feelings for them.
by usaf_irish  (2024-02-16 07:22:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Well, outside of finding their head coach mildly annoying that is.

Scapegoat. If Saleh and Demeco weren’t the answer, who is? *
by mwalsh  (2024-02-14 20:44:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Saleh and Demeco were the answer, but they're unavailable *
by 3AONEILL08  (2024-02-15 02:18:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You can have Saleh
by DBCooper  (2024-02-15 06:29:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Signed Jets fan

I had high hopes for him
by Jvan  (2024-02-15 23:08:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Oh well.

needs a good OC
by jt  (2024-02-16 11:46:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

hasn't had one.

This is the problem with hiring a defensive minded guy to be the head coach. Will always need a solid OC to run the show on that side of the ball, and the game is all about scoring now with the rules changes, emphasis on passing, etc. And as soon as you get a good OC and have some success, he's likely to get hired away.

They weren't matched with a healthy Purdy *
by Xman  (2024-02-15 01:50:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I always thought his DC resume was too light for that
by Raoul  (2024-02-14 17:52:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

job and that team.

Zimmer now gone - he may have been a good fit. Leslie Frazier might be a good fit.

Would he steal Wink from Michigan?

Wink, Staley, a few other former head coaches
by jt  (2024-02-14 18:50:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Wink would be my preference.

He belongs in the NFL. Maybe prickly but all his proteges
by Raoul  (2024-02-14 19:42:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

seem to do well. They all learned his defense. Michigan loved it so much they only want former Ravens D coaches to maintain continuity.

A Titan of a name. *
by Leeroy_Jenkins  (2024-02-14 15:46:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I was hoping LaFleur would go after Vrabel, but there were
by G.K.Chesterton  (2024-02-14 19:26:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

still head coach openings and Vrabel may have been holding out for one of those.

The Cowboys, 49ers, and Packers have all changed DCs. From the NFC Final Four, only the Lions didn't make a change.

interesting move
by irishrock  (2024-02-14 15:43:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

only because Andy Reid fired Bob Sutton after the Patriots AFC loss in OT...hired Spagnuolo in his place and KC's defense improved immensely since. I'm impressed by Shanahan wanting to get better...not a lot of coaches would fire a DC who was part of a team getting within a whisker of a Super Bowl win.

Niners defense has been built on the front 7
by jt  (2024-02-14 16:38:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

they brought in Wilks to try and enhance the back 4, and he sort of did but the front 7 (the strength for years) got much worse. Not a good fit, he had to go. The timeout in overtime was called by Kyle because he hated the defensive call and wanted to order Wilks to change it; he was tired of seeing Kelce run free on cover 0 calls.

This guy can go retire with Willingham or whatever. Once a Ty guy, always a Ty guy in my book.

Do the Niners win the game if Greenlaw doesn't get hurt? *
by G.K.Chesterton  (2024-02-14 18:02:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

No *
by mwalsh  (2024-02-14 20:43:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You seem pretty sure
by Mike Honcho  (2024-02-18 13:22:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

There were multiple ways that game could have flipped, it's all woulda-coulda-shoulda of course, but a very close game either way

Part of the game
by jt  (2024-02-14 18:36:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Needed better depth and better coaching.