I love the NFL draft...embarrassed to admit it
by irishrock (2024-04-25 18:54:03)

but I've loved it since I was a little kid...not in a paint your face or wear a team jersey kind of way, but I always marvel at it.

Harbaugh comment no one challenged last night was funny
by sprack  (2024-04-26 11:15:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Someone on the ABC panel (Davis or Herbstreit) said that Jim Harbaugh said JJ McCarthy will be the best pro quarterback ever to come out of Michigan.

And no one said, “um, what?”

So Harbaugh thinks JJ McCarthy will be the best quarterback ever to play pro football. OK, then! Why didn’t he draft him?

Johnny "Wangs" is the obvious choice
by CliffClaven  (2024-04-27 08:35:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If Bo were still alive.
Cliffy

will JJ have the benefit of knowing the opposing team's play
by jt  (2024-04-26 17:20:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

call ahead of time as well?

Because the best qb to ever play the game who didn't know the defense ahead of time is named Joseph Clifford Montana and he went to the University of Notre Dame, not the University of Michigan. And he most certainly did not attend Serra (which is a girl's name) High School.

Both Montana & Brady knew a guy w/ a decided schematic...
by Scoop80  (2024-04-26 21:44:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

advantage. That's another thing that they have in common besides the rings.

yeah, and I'm sure that fat ass
by jt  (2024-05-07 14:07:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

was all in on knowing the play call ahead of time as well.

Hear, hear! *
by Slotts  (2024-04-26 18:28:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Desmond had JJ as “player most ready for the NFL” and
by The Holtz Room  (2024-04-26 15:25:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

“Rookie of the year”.

It’s not Gameday Des, you can be honest for once.

Demond Howard is still on television?
by usaf_irish  (2024-04-28 17:12:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

ESPN really doesn’t have standards do they?

Need to set a lower bar for a true Michigan Man
by SixShutouts66  (2024-04-26 15:43:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

His purpose in sports journalism is to create white noise to make the other talking heads appear to be smart.

His stock in trade is to giggle and laugh a lot.
by arasera  (2024-04-28 17:02:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He doesn’t add much more than that.

He’s funny like a clown.

He doesn’t amuse me.

If I remember the quote right, that's not what Harbaugh said
by hollownd  (2024-04-26 11:33:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

After the national championship he said specifically that he thought McCarthy was the best QB in college that Michigan has ever had.

Makes sense *
by sprack  (2024-04-26 12:38:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Honestly, have to give the nod to Henson. *
by Wooderson  (2024-04-26 12:04:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I wouldn’t. I’d go with McCarthy
by sprack  (2024-04-26 12:48:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Henson’s first two years he was sharing time with Brady, was often not the starter, and his final year, yes he had a great year but only played 8 games due to an injury at the beginning of the season.

McCarthy last season played 15 games, had a higher completion percentage by 12 percentage points, and the same very low number of interceptions (4) but in 7 more games.

Harrison “Boss” Weeks *
by ram  (2024-04-26 19:20:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Grbac deserves a look
by SixShutouts66  (2024-04-26 18:50:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But their recent list rivals ours Denard Robinson, Tate Forcier, Devin Gardner. I didn't realize Pete Elliot and Forest Evesheski were on thier list

I was down there last night and will admit
by johnnysalami  (2024-04-26 08:43:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

it was pretty awesome.

However, didn't get into the main event due to capacity. Our group of four started at the Detroit Athletic Club (drinking Belle Glos wine for the board snobs), then walked around, popped into different bars/shops, saw various side shows.

I don't think I've ever seen downtown Detroit like that. Only exception would be the Super Bowl, maybe Tigers World Series.

Cops were everywhere, and I read many undercover as well. They let everyone have a good time, which included carrying open containers, very Vegas-esque. Cops just made sure no one got run over, and no one started fights.

Well done by Detroit, A++.

Good for Detroit
by ndtnguy  (2024-04-27 11:31:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The old major cities in America's interior, places like Detroit and Cincinnati, could use a boost. It's always a good thing to see one of them pull off something like that and make a good showing.

Some folks didn't like the new sign... (link)
by Wooderson  (2024-04-26 10:30:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Two weekends ago, some friends and I gathered in Detroit
by cujays96  (2024-04-26 09:47:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

for a couple of nights: dinners, Tiger's game, and a concert at The Magic Stick. Most had been to Detroit recently but I had a couple of friends who had never been. They were super impressed with downtown Detroit as a place to hang out and get around. Making the light rail and people mover free are great add ons.

Bankruptcy was the best thing that ever happend to Motown
by Freight Train  (2024-04-26 16:15:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That, and the mayor is effective and not corrupt. That has brought businesses, suburbanites and tourists back. It's amazing, really. It was a horrible place to be my entire childhood and most of my adult life. I'm glad my Dad got to see the rebirth.

He'd tell me stories of how great a city was when he was a kid in the 50s and 60s all the way up to the 67 riots. Looking at it through my 80s and 90s lens, I thought it was a)sentimental crap and b) even if it were true, that it would be impossible to recreate. It'll never be like it was pre-riots of course but Detroit, like Pittsburgh, has made a remarkable comeback. It was basically Beirut when I was a kid.

Mayor is a fellow CC grad
by czeche  (2024-04-27 10:32:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Edit to add: I recall corruption early on , can't speak to later stops such as head of DMC.

Interesting career, he's combined corruption with excellence every step of the way as a proper disciple of McNamara (not sure about mayor, haven't been around the city recently) and at the same time every place he went got better under his stewardship. When he ran the Detroit Medical zone center he made some unpopular decisions but it seems like that too improved.

Even so, I didn't think he could successfully tackle the whole city which has destroyed many a strong politician recently but it looks like he did. It was really cool to come back this last fall to a couple of Lions games, obviously game day is when the city is at its best but the whole drive in has a different feel.

I don't live there anymore either but
by domer4  (2024-05-01 21:53:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I will agree that the downtown area is much improved.

Then again, rebuilding the downtown (like with the word Renaissance attached to the Center, People Mover, etc) was the goal in the 1970s, and the rest of the city continued to decline.

About once a year, I drive past where my mom and dad's families both grew up in Brightmoor (and feel like I am risking my life for the memories). Not only are both houses gone, the whole blocks are gone. There is virtually no infrastructure (restaurants, movie theatres, grocery stores, doctors, etc.) for miles and miles.

As a CC grad who went there in Detroit and Redford - I also can never see CC moving back to either place (as well as any Catholic high schools that haven't gone bankrupt since 1980 coming back to Detroit or any new Catholic high school either without heavy subsidies from the order of priests who run it.) In fact, CC would be out of business now if they hadn't left for the suburbs.

It will take hundreds of thousands of middle class people (families) to move back and start building again. I can't see that happening - at least not in my lifetime.

We got off the beaten track going to a Tigers game in the
by irishhawk49  (2024-04-26 19:17:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

mid-70’s and ended up, I believe, on the Cass corridor. It was like a war zone. Pretty scary.

I prefer the Pilsner Urquell *
by drmurray  (2024-04-26 08:07:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm embarrassed for ESPN. Not really but they have Saban
by Carlos Huerta  (2024-04-26 00:11:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and Belichick and they put Saban on the pregame show getting interrupted by Desmond Howard and Belichick was on their streaming service? Meanwhile their main broadcast featured Booger and Louis Riddick?

The main broadcast was on ABC and had Saban on it. *
by Mr Wednesday  (2024-04-26 00:25:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I used to work right across the street from Radio City. My
by NJIrish04  (2024-04-25 22:44:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

office was on the 31st floor and the only times I could hear the crowd below from my office before a big event was if it was an act beloved by teenage girls or the NFL draft. Was always amusing seeing the crowds that showed up. Glad they rotate it now - nice event for other cities to experience.

3 Washington players + a UW transfer in the top 20
by WilfordBrimley  (2024-04-25 22:35:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It is A) nice to see a school outside of the SEC and Ohio State have that kind of draft visibility and B) perhaps an indicator of DeBoer's talent evaluation and player development abilities.

Wonder what Bowers to LV means for Mayer. *
by The Holtz Room  (2024-04-25 21:38:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Competition to see who really should have won the Mackey *
by backroads  (2024-04-25 21:45:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Mayer was awesome and we all love him but
by cabnd00  (2024-04-25 22:23:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Bowers is better

Wrong *
by goirish89  (2024-04-28 16:16:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

On the flip side, speaking from Pats fan experience...
by Wooderson  (2024-04-26 11:24:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Gronk is obviously all world, but having Aaron Hernandez on the other end of the line was just an absolute un manageable situation for defenses, and they both got a lot of touches.

Obviously one is a golden retriever and one is a murderer, but Bower and Mayer together give a similar level of difficulty to defend against.

Smarter football minds than me can attest, but 2WR, 2TE, and one RB with a QB under center gives you a whole world of options.

I used to crush people in NCAA '14 with that formation.

that was my first thought. *
by irishrock  (2024-04-25 21:42:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think the Bears just won the draft.
by Lloyd braun  (2024-04-25 21:18:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Williams and Odunze.

wow...Penix at 8.
by irishrock  (2024-04-25 21:06:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

some said he might go in 2nd round.

QB's always go high. After signing Cousins, to bring Penix in is a really interesting move.

Other needs + overreach = F. *
by rfk  (2024-04-27 10:31:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Has to be one of the worst draft picks of all time
by carroll2005  (2024-04-25 21:54:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They just signed cousins on a massive contract. He’s supposed to be “the guy” for the next 3-4 years minimum (or else what the F were you doing signing him)

Instead of building around him with a top 10 draft pick, they take a flyer on a developmental QB prospect who will be at the end of his rookie deal before Cousins is done.

Just insane.

Three Year Letterman agrees (link)
by sprack  (2024-04-26 10:16:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Saban not only defended it but said it was a wise move. Said
by MBOIrish  (2024-04-26 10:08:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

only first two years of Cousins contract was guaranteed. Named great QB’s who needed two years training as backups to become great as starters. Lauded management for this strategy.

Cousins will get injured anyway
by ravenium  (2024-04-26 18:40:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It happens every year I draft him.

I agree with him. It’s a Packers move
by sprack  (2024-04-26 11:07:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Does anyone really think Jordan Love would be as good as he is if he started as a rookie? Ditto Rodgers before him?

So many of these guys are thrown to the wolves before they’re ready, but most teams don’t have the luxury of being able to sit a guy behind a top experienced quarterback. The Falcons just made that move and I’ll bet it was the plan all along.

Not the same at all
by carroll2005  (2024-04-26 14:10:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

When the Packers drafted Rodgers, they had Favre waffling about retirement every offseason.

When the Packers drafted Love, they had Rodgers starting to get kooky and talking about darkness retreats.

They were also mid 20s selections. Not a top 10.

The Falcons just paid 100 million to their immediate future at QB (and then didn't even bother to let him know about the Penix selection). They are supposedly in "win now" mode. They needed to pick someone who could contribute immediately.

I don’t agree
by sprack  (2024-04-26 15:48:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Rodgers has always been kooky. But he wasn’t going anywhere and was still playing as well as ever. But he was also the same age as Cousins is now.

I also don’t think they took Favre seriously about retiring.

I think there's a difference between #8 and #26.
by NDBass  (2024-04-26 11:15:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The Falcons are supposedly in "win now" mode and they have a ton of holes. The defense is Swiss cheese. Penix, who is older and has had a plethora of injury issues, also seems like a big reach at that point in the draft. I was very wrong about Matt Ryan, so maybe I'm very wrong about Penix.

Oh, definitely a reach on Penix
by sprack  (2024-04-26 11:29:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I was agreeing with the concept more than the actual player. But who knows, he could turn out to be great - if he stays healthy. In an average quarterback year he may well have been picked that high.

Hope none of the fine people back here are ATL fans…. *
by The Holtz Room  (2024-04-25 21:07:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm supposed to be one
by Nut  (2024-04-25 22:04:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But the good Lord has given me enough hurdles to go looking for more.

There's good news...
by NDBass  (2024-04-25 21:43:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The last time I hated a first round QB pick by the Falcons this much, we ended up with Matt Ryan. Other than that, I don't have to worry about time on Sundays.

Joe Alt- highest ND pick since???
by DakotaDomer  (2024-04-25 20:53:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Rick Mirer - holly shit

Wow
by GU82ND4ever  (2024-04-25 20:54:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That is quite a while!

Joe Alt is ND’s highest pick in a while, correct? *
by GU82ND4ever  (2024-04-25 20:52:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Yes. Q and Stanley both went #6 *
by The Holtz Room  (2024-04-25 20:55:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

See above *
by DakotaDomer  (2024-04-25 20:53:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Totally agree. Long before it was ever televised, I’d pore
by usmcirish  (2024-04-25 20:49:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

over the picks in the LA Times the next day.

in grade school, I'd sneak into the teacher's lounge
by irishrock  (2024-04-25 20:57:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and make a phone call to the KC Star sports desk to ask who the Chiefs picked...it was during the week and mid-day. We took Bill Maas...NT out of Pitt

I loved seeing Jayden Daniels walk by Kelly after he was
by JACC1203  (2024-04-25 20:34:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

drafted #2 right now.

He was smiling, giving hugs & high fives/fist bumps to everyone else he passed by as he walked to the podium.

But nothing for Kelly. Nada. Zilch.

"Hey! You we me a podium dance, Mister!" *
by BeastOfBourbon  (2024-04-30 12:09:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Damn I missed it. *
by tm8838  (2024-04-25 21:19:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Here it is. (link)
by irishhawk49  (2024-04-25 21:33:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It’s a still picture, see what? *
by nd67  (2024-04-25 21:59:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Daniel’s didn’t acknowledge Kelly after he was picked. *
by irishhawk49  (2024-04-25 23:07:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Kelly learned how to sneak into pictures from JS *
by irishrock  (2024-04-25 21:42:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Love it *
by ram  (2024-04-25 21:41:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Totally blew Kelly off. Smart kid. *
by irishhawk49  (2024-04-25 21:10:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I don’t understand the hype for Caleb Williams
by bphweather  (2024-04-25 20:23:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He will be a bust.

As a Bears fan, I’m inclined to agree.
by The Holtz Room  (2024-04-25 20:25:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Now, had the Bears NOT drafted him, he’d be destined for the HOF.

It’s a win-win as a Bears fan.
by bill_brasky  (2024-04-25 22:04:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If he’s a bust, great, F that guy. If he’s great maybe the Bears will be good. But the Bears will inevitably screw if up either way most likely.

I once took a day off from work to watch it
by knutesteen  (2024-04-25 20:23:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

before it was a prime time event. Now HST, I'm back to a daytime broadcast-but I'll be working 3-6 pm. DVR Knicks.

How long until they actually start the ****ing clock
by DakotaDomer  (2024-04-25 20:08:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I told B9 he could watch until 830. - he better see at least one stupid pick

Now sir *
by The Holtz Room  (2024-04-25 20:12:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I love seeing poor college kids finally earning money.
by 84david  (2024-04-25 19:47:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Uh, never mind.

i drove away in fear after work...(work in detroit)
by fourputtmd  (2024-04-25 19:32:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

it madness....saw 5 patriot fans at kroger buying a gallon of fireball all with their jerseys of edleman on