It is a nice heart felt letter from a father
by KnightlyRevue (2018-01-10 18:14:27)
Edited on 2018-01-10 18:17:40

In reply to: Interesting letter from QN's dad  posted by El Kabong

who clearly loves his son. In that context, I am glad I read it.

Having said that, I do not agree with a few of his points as I consider them to be meaningless pablum meant to justify the putrid record of a mediocre coach. Golly Gee, Kelly got up at 4am and went to player lifts and ate lunch with the lads...sometimes even dinner! Wowsers, what a changed man.

Unfortunately, he is still a shitty football coach with a full Rolodex of excuses that demonstrate a complete lack of understanding of Notre Dame and its historical significance in college football. No coats of paint, Adzillatrons, additional squat stations, sequestration of football players, plastic grass or well meaning letters is going to change that. Such is life.

"nice letter,now listen as I disqualify all of it"
by alleghenyirish  (2018-01-11 10:10:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

"based on absolutely nothing, except my distaste of the current coach."

Yup,no doubt about my distaste for the current coach
by KnightlyRevue  (2018-01-11 10:55:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Say it loud...say it proud. Kelly is ill fitted for Notre Dame and does not deserve to sit in the chair of Head Football Coach for ND. Nothing this season has changed that.

As I said, it is a nice letter that shows a father's love for his son. The arguments surrounding Kelly's change ofheart and fit for ND as evidenced by early morning lift session attendance and dining location choices are meaningless and unconvincing. I also do not think Urban is the only one who does not want the ND coaching job and there is plenty of evidence to suggest Kelly is in the same boat but just has fewer options.

It can be both. If you choose to believe Nelson's father and are convinced Kelly is a fit given the argument he made I have no problem with it. I will stick with the 8 years of failure including his record against ranked competition, the countless embarrassments both on and off the field, and the litany of excuses coming the football office as my marker.

How to be condescending....
by BIGSKYND  (2018-01-10 18:59:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the guy just might genuinely (and validly) disagree with you but that necessarily means that he's spewing pablum. Give me a frigging break - and don't for one second pull out the Pavlovian "this is a Kelly Lover post".

I don’t find it condescending
by KnightlyRevue  (2018-01-10 19:38:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

To call out arguments like waking up early and eating meals with players as feel good pablum when we have 8 years of evidence, including this years losses against any team worth a darn, as contradictory evidence, I am sure he would disagree with me and it would not bother me one ounce. His letter did not sway my opinion given what I have seen of Brian Kelly’s stewardship of the football program across his tenure and the seemingly endless whining and scroll of excuses that comes out of the head coaches office.

If that upsets you and you need a friggin break go take one.

You were doing okay until the end....
by BIGSKYND  (2018-01-11 09:48:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

but you couldn't stop. Ultimately nobody can disagree with your views without being labelled. Get over it. Nobody - me, you, Nelson's Dad, you name them - is right all the time. If that upsets you and you need a friggin break go take one.

What exactly were you labeled?
by KnightlyRevue  (2018-01-11 10:48:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You seem to be the exact type of sensitive soul you rail against. You were also the one who brought in the theatrics and labels then get upset when you get called on it and have it played back to you.

I am not upset. My opinion hasn't changed. You can have whatever opinion you want and no one said otherwise but your argument was not persuasive to me.

I am sure you will want the last word on it. Take it. Maybe then you can get your well deserved friggin break.

I think you have to consider the Nelsons’ perspective.
by Bruno95  (2018-01-10 19:53:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If Quenton found it meaningful, it was meaningful. Quenton Nelson would have been a great offensive lineman regardless of who coached him. He’d probably find a reason to buy in to any coach. But it sounds like he needed a little jumpstart after last season. If Kelly’s gestures helped get Nelson back and helped him push himself to improve, who are we to call it all meaningless?

I,do not disagree that it may have been
by KnightlyRevue  (2018-01-10 21:29:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Meaningful to an individual like Nelson who was debating whether to jump to the NFL or stay at Notre Dame. But, the letter seemed to argue that it was meaningful as a sign that Kelly had transformed into a good coach and further argued it as evidence that Kelly is the right guy for Notre Dame because “who else can ND get?” I disagree with that argument.