Nice and insightful letter
by ShermanOaksND (2018-01-10 18:16:30)
Edited on 2018-01-10 18:17:39

In reply to: Interesting letter from QN's dad  posted by El Kabong

On the other hand, it would be more of a "man bites dog" story if a player's parent wrote a letter about how much he hated the head coach, unless the player were booted from the team or otherwise mistreated. In other words, I'm not surprised that QN's father has good things to say about his son's now-former coach.

Agree completely
by Hipster  (2018-01-10 21:30:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Quentin Nelson stuck it out, got his degree, maintained his health and heads to the draft as a valuable commodity with nothing but plaudits and respect all around.

Why wouldn't Mr. Nelson be magnanimous and gracious? I would be willing to guarantee that not all parents of every player, former player/assistant coach or videographer feel the same way about Kelly. They may simply decide to keep their opinions private.

His record is what it is now, and there's enough data with which we can draw certain conclusions. Brian Kelly's record is largely at the mercy of the comparative levels of talent on the field and up in the other team's press box. All things being equal, Kelly's teams will win 4-7 games a season regardless of what he does, 2-3 games per season in spite of what he does, but rarely will they win a truly important game *because* of what he does.

I'm happy for Mr. Nelson. Seeing one's son go onto to be a multi-millionaire in his young twenties must be nice. Takes a lot of the sting out of paying through the nose to watch good players play consistently mediocre football.

What you described is human nature
by tf86  (2018-01-12 10:38:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

With a sample size this large, it's only natural that you will find some players, and their families, who love Brian Kelly; some who hate him; and some who are ambivalent about him. I'm pretty sure you could make the same statement about Lou.

For those of us who were on the board back then, it's no secret how universally detested Ty Willingham was on this board at the time (perhaps even moreso than Kelly, although a comparison is largely irrelevant). At the same time, it was posted here on more than one occasion that when news broke that he had been fired, Justin Tuck was on a rampage inside his dorm. From that information, it's not unreasonable to conclude that Justin Tuck, one of the more successful ND football players of that era, liked, or perhaps even loved, Ty.

That, and Mr. St. Brown had great things to say about ND
by VaDblDmr  (2018-01-10 21:10:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

right before one son pulled the plug early on ND and the other said no to ND.
Mr. Nelson has every reason to be pleased with how his son has turned out at ND, which his letter reflects. I wouldn't take it for any more than that.

ESB had one more year
by Vairish84  (2018-01-11 10:30:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I can understand his decision. QB will be a work in progress next year, in all likelihood. That would mean his two good years will be further in the rear view mirror through no fault of his own. Also to the extent Wimbush stays as starter and his inaccuracy continues, it would show that ESB has a relatively small catch radius for a big man. Plus, there were a couple of time Wimbush almost got ESB killed.

As for ARSB, his bestest high school buddy is going to USC to play QB. Even if he favored ND, and no sure thing he did, he believes that his friend will be an excellent QB and can trust him to throw a ball that he can catch, not get killed and make the NFL.

Unless Kelly is to blame for WImbush's mechanics, and I suppose he is in part, the St. BRown decisions are not a reflection on Kelly personally. The fact that ARSB was still considering us, to some degree, is probably a reflection that Dad thought it could be fixed.

That's beside my point though. I'm not disputing that either
by VaDblDmr  (2018-01-11 20:02:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

or both of the St. Brown decisions are justified for the reasons you've given. I'm saying that their father's somewhat over-the-top praise of ND's program followed in short order by both of his sons' decisions (to leave early and not to go at all) is some evidence that what he said ought to be taken with at least a grain or two of salt.

Let's be clear
by RJD  (2018-01-10 21:39:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Brothers going to different schools may or may not be a reflection of the head coach of the eldest brother.

On point, obvious most recent example (same position even) would be the Ridley Brothers at Alabama and Georgia.

In terms of the letter, both of you ignored the heart of it which was Kelly (channeling St. Paul the Apostle) admitting that he had been a blind fool to Mr. Nelson.

that's all well and good
by jt  (2018-01-10 22:08:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and I am glad that Mr Nelson and his son felt/feel the way that they do. He was a treat to watch and I wish him nothing but the best.

That said, going at your excuse about brothers going elsewhere while that may be somewhat true I believe the brothers St Brown are on record as saying that the qb issue was the primary factor.

Not man bites dog but
by RJD  (2018-01-10 18:44:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Dad bites Urban.