Tranquil, Mustipher, and Newsome named captains
by bluengold07 (2018-03-06 09:26:01)

How many times has a P/K been a captain at ND? Was Setta?

Why was Tranquil moved from rover?
by PattyMulligan  (2018-03-06 16:57:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He seemed to thrive in that position last year. Or does moving to LB make him more marketable to the NFL?

Here is the answer, directly from Tranquill.
by rockmcd  (2018-03-09 19:16:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

“It was coach Kelly and a general understanding that was what I was going to play in the NFL,” Tranquill said. “… I knew in mind I need development at that position, so it was a general understanding that [the Irish coaches] had gotten feedback from NFL teams, I had obviously gotten feedback from NFL teams, and we all understood this is what I needed to develop at.”

“It was just a decision of do I want to go and get that development in the league, or do I want to come back and develop under coach,” Tranquill said. “I think the best decision for me was to come back and develop under coach Lea.”

Is it normal to change a player’s position to
by veets  (2018-03-10 08:28:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

help his draft chances if it is bad for the team?

Probably not. Sounds like the interest was mutual. *
by rockmcd  (2018-03-10 16:31:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It’s an indictment of Kelly’s recruiting failures
by Jvan  (2018-03-06 17:50:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It’s a shame to move a veteran from his best position because you don’t have capable replacements for other linebackers who have graduated. Any story suggesting this was done to enhance his NFL prospects is just smoke.

Notre Dame football conspiracy theorist! awesome. *
by celtic745  (2018-03-08 14:31:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Should we embrace "and" on this one?
by rockmcd  (2018-03-07 14:47:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The part about recruiting failures at LB seems self-evident. But as a 5th year senior, Tranquil had options. If Tranquil himself doesn't think this improves his NFL prospects, why would he agree to it?

You assume he had a choice to remain at rover
by Jvan  (2018-03-07 21:59:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The kid is a consummate team player, and will do what he is told.

I assume his role was discussed before he decided
by rockmcd  (2018-03-07 23:18:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

to stay for his 5th year and decline his options to go into NFL draft or transfer to another school for his 5th year. Isn't that standard operating procedure?

Also consider that Lea was promoted to DC about a week before the deadline to apply for the draft. So that would logically give rise to a 2nd conversation about Tranquill's role while he still had time to decide (if Drue felt it was important). Despite Kelly being an a-hole, I think the idea that he pulled some kind of Machiavellian bait-and-switch is kind of unlikely under the circumstances.

The most logical conclusion, in my amateur opinion, is that Drue probably doesn't believe that a move to LB hurts his NFL chances.

Thanks for the answer. *
by PattyMulligan  (2018-03-06 22:17:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Holtz said never move a starter to fill a hole. It just
by btd  (2018-03-06 20:15:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Leaves two spots down instead of one.

I'm sure you've realized Kelly is no Holtz *
by goirish89  (2018-03-06 20:20:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

it's not 1988 anymore *
by jt  (2018-03-06 20:58:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Only 3 captains this year ? *
by Wolfetone  (2018-03-06 10:09:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

More captains to be announced each day until Blue/Gold Game *
by Father Nieuwland  (2018-03-06 17:31:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Upgrade your experience! Honorary Captain, $2,995 *
by beattherush  (2018-03-08 13:24:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Sounds like a Christmas calendar.
by Irpa  (2018-03-06 21:04:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You get a new piece of chocolate each day.

Would you prefer more? *
by G.K.Chesterton  (2018-03-06 14:00:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

A fourth to be named after the spring. *
by MistakenD  (2018-03-06 11:08:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I assume one captain for each expected win
by wildesilas  (2018-03-06 10:55:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

At least that's what Kelly did in 2016.

Setta wasn't captain, he was basically the ST coach *
by Rocket7  (2018-03-06 09:52:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

A Punter made Captain?
by Hanratty5ND  (2018-03-06 09:45:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I bet Alabama, Clemson or tOSU never thought of that--expect a huge year for the Irish!

Offense, defense, special teams.
by bleedsgreen04  (2018-03-06 13:19:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

There probably isn't a ton of upper classman dedicated to special teams. I really don't think it's that big of a deal, especially if Newsome actually is a good fit as a leader of the team.

Now if only that would translate to actual special teams success...

If he's a leader in the locker room, who cares? *
by GoDomers  (2018-03-06 12:13:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He's going to be on the field quite often this season *
by Jvan  (2018-03-06 10:47:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Newsome and Yoon are excellent. Here's my all time favorite
by cj  (2018-03-06 12:08:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

ND punter.... PS Watch the '77 southern cal game on Youtube when you get a chance. The tackles hits Restic delivered in that game are legendary. Flying like Superman...

"Former Notre Dame Football Academic All-American Joe Restic ('79), an orthodontist with his own practice in Wilsonville, Ore., served as the president of the Notre Dame Monogram Club from 2009-11, past president until 2013, and now as a member of the past presidents council.
Restic joined the board as a director from 2000-03 before moving onto the executive committee as the Club's secretary from 2004-05. He joined the presidential rotation in 2005.

Restic - son of legendary Harvard football coach Joe Restic, Sr. ('73-'93) - came to Notre Dame in the fall of 1975 from Milford, Mass. He was a four-year letter winner as a punter and free safety. His 209 career punts rank second in Notre Dame history while he still holds the Irish record for punting average in a single game (51.6 yards), after booting five kicks for 258 yards vs. Air Force in 1975. He also ranks third on the all-time Notre Dame interceptions list with 13.

Restic, a starting safety while helping Notre Dame win the 1977 national championship during his junior season, went on to graduate in 1979 with a pre-professional science degree. He received his doctorate in dental medicine from the University of Pennsylvania in 1985 and received certification from the orthodontic residency program at The Oregon Health Sciences University in 1988.

Likewise, Restic was a two-time GTE Academic All-American ('78, `79). In 1979, he was one of 10 college football players nation-wide who received the Scholar-Athlete award from the National Football Foundation. He also received a prestigious NCAA postgraduate scholarship and was one of the recipients of the annual Byron Kenaley Award, which recognizes Notre Dame student-athletes who are exemplary as students and leaders. In 1983 he was inducted into the Mathew Cryer Honor Society, which recognizes the top 10 students at the University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine.

While playing three seasons in the United States Football League ('83-'85), Restic also pursued his career in dentistry and orthodontics. His professional football career actually was related to his shift to the west coast, as he played in the USFL with the Breakers franchise that was based in Boston before moving to New Orleans and then to Portland.

Restic and his wife Susan, who is also a dentist, are the parents of two children, daughter Brittany ('18) and son Eric."

Didn't they walk out of a fire in the Bible? *
by MistakenD  (2018-03-06 09:45:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That’s it? *
by golfjunkie17  (2018-03-06 09:39:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Way to go Tyler!
by oggie  (2018-03-06 09:37:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Great kid.