Brian Van Gorder will return to Notre Dame in 2019!
by bluengold07 (2018-12-10 09:46:03)

As the Bowling Green DC.

Nit: He won't be the DC
by SB Jimbo  (2018-12-11 10:21:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Associate head coach and linebackers coach

Remember when you made, though didn't earn $1M at ND?
by Wolfetone  (2018-12-11 09:32:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Eh,BVG? Those were the daze....

Can he still afford the Trans Am? *
by NW Ohio Irish  (2018-12-10 21:42:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Too bad, Bowling Green fans, Your new head coach
by jrdjr84  (2018-12-10 11:43:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

shows he has awful judgment. Not returning to the days of Urban Meyer or Dino Babers anytime soon...

Their new HC is a Michigan man
by Hanratty5ND  (2018-12-10 12:10:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

So in a few years he will say his hiring of BVG was all a mirage.

Maybe he only remembers 37-0. *
by supernd  (2018-12-10 16:45:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

For those who haven't heard about the "mirage" quote (link)
by ShermanOaksND  (2018-12-10 13:12:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Speaking of the whole "revenge tour" thing...
by Wooderson  (2018-12-10 17:14:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We Handled UM, Thumped VT and F$U, and got a good solid W over Southern Cal.

We have left Clemson, and potentially Bama.

That's kind of a Revenge Tour par excellence right there, should we be so lucky.

Guess we stole their mojo. And we get anOSU soon, as well.

Some more idiotic MGoBlog reading
by golfjunkie17  (2018-12-10 14:26:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Search “Harbaugh outlasts Meyer - the Tribe has Spoken”. In a nutshell, someone submits that Harbaugh has actually “won” the rivalry against Meyer, because he (Meyer) didn’t stick it out for a “10 year battle”. The comments that ensue are about a 50/50 mixture of agreement and scorn, but mostly just pure entertainment if you enjoy laughing at stupid people.

Egads
by ShermanOaksND  (2018-12-10 14:57:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Apparently more than a few people have jumped the gun on legalized pot in Michigan.

Insane. Similar to his comments after our game *
by athlete37  (2018-12-10 13:25:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Oh, boy. *
by Revue Party  (2018-12-10 13:17:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It really doesn't get any more Michigan than that *
by ShermanOaksND  (2018-12-10 13:25:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Just when you thought...
by Revue Party  (2018-12-10 13:41:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

it couldn't get any more ridiculous than, "We didn't play Michigan football."

If it was Harbaugh's quote, I'd have more fun with it. To me, this was a player poorly prepared for an interview by his school. Pure...

I suppose it's fitting that the first single off Mirage was, Hold Me.

How does someone like him reach the levels he did pre-ND
by golfjunkie17  (2018-12-10 11:35:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and then suddenly begin failing miserably at every single stop? Did he just become a terrible defensive coach overnight? He was never good but somehow kept advancing? His luck ran out? It is like he sold his soul to the devil to beat Michigan, and he's been paying for it ever since.

He coached for the Jets
by RJD  (2018-12-10 17:38:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and expected college players to learn his same shit defense (see Morgan, Nyles).

My Auburn friends hated him and blamed him for
by dulac89  (2018-12-10 12:53:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

their 3-9 record that year. It seems he peaked in the early 2000s, and it's been downhill since then

ND gave up only 12 ppg in BVG's 1st 6 games as DC
by ShermanOaksND  (2018-12-10 13:25:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

For the next 6 games, ND surrendered 48.5 ppg. Bear in mind, ND had given up more than 48 points in only 6 games in its entire history before that stretch.

Nit: It was 12.0 over 5 games, then 41.6 over the next 7.
by rockmcd  (2018-12-10 13:40:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Looks like you added the total of those final 7 games and divided it by 6. Still a shitty 2nd half of that season no matter how you slice it.

Thanks -- still inexcusable that we gave up 49+ points twice
by ShermanOaksND  (2018-12-10 14:12:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

in one month, when ND had done so only 6 times in all of its history before (and since) that month. It also remains the only time in history that ND gave up more than 30 points in 7 consecutive games.

Coaching malpractice.
by Revue Party  (2018-12-10 18:32:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

A competent DC would have helped the team make NC runs in 2014 and 2015. The 2014 season was derailed by injuries, which could have accounted for losing to ASU and USC but not getting blown out by them both or losing any other game, except a tier 1 bowl.

VanGorder did a lot of damage to the program. Poor hire. Never should have been retained for 2015, let alone 2016.

Maybe we'll face Tenuta (Cincinnati) in a bowl game. *
by rockmcd  (2018-12-10 11:13:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Bob Davie and BVG back at their site of glory! *
by sprack  (2018-12-10 10:28:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

BVG was at 7-11 as well? *
by Frank Drebin  (2018-12-10 20:11:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

they wanted to fire Davie so badly at UNM
by jt  (2018-12-10 10:33:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

couldn't raise the money for a buyout.

Players transferring left and right.

They couldn't raise $1.5 mil? yikes (link)
by TCIrish03  (2018-12-10 14:05:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Davie has actually made that program dramatically better
by Tex Francisco  (2018-12-10 10:40:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

compared to what it was under Mike Locksley. If you're a Maryland fan, let that sink in for a moment.

they had a nice little program under Rocky Long
by jt  (2018-12-10 10:42:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

foolish to let that guy go--ran a solid program, was an alum, had a consistent scheme on defense that he could hang his hat on, etc.

agree - he's had a solid run at SDSU *
by cujaysfan  (2018-12-10 12:44:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Isn’t it true that Long wanted the school to invest in FB...
by skeptic  (2018-12-10 12:22:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...and the administration declined? As I recall, he then said that they had come to the reasonable limit of what could be achieved there. Too bad.

the real reason for his ouster was friction with AD
by abqgant  (2018-12-11 01:12:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Paul Krebs who is now under investigation by the State of NM attorney general for financial hanky panky while he was the AD. Long story.

Rocky was a great defensive coach at UNM. He could never develop an offense that approached his defensive competence. The tipping point of his demise at UNM was a 37-0 beat down at TCU.

Krebs wanted a flashy high powered offense that would score a lot of points. He thought Locksley was just the man based upon his previous performance as an OC. Never happened and the crowds went away and haven't returned.

I can still remember Rocky beating Texas Tech coached by Mike Leach on a last second field goal in 2004 at ABQ. The final was 27-24. Typical Rocky team--big & physical on offense and very quick on defense. Attendance 38,000+ The following week Leach's team scored 70 points beating TCU 70-35 in Lubbock. Tech scored 70 against Nebraska as well that year. Went 8-4.

UNM had a pretty tough schedule that year losing to Utah, Washington State,
Air Force & Oregon State but their smallest home crowd was 34,800. They topped 40,000 for the Utah game. They went 7-4 and then lost to Navy in the Emerald bowl. Now UNM can't draw 20,000.

All of that to say that Krebs was an idiot to run Rocky off. Same thing I said at the time.

probably
by jt  (2018-12-10 12:43:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I mean, they did their "training table" by giving vouchers to a local bar b que place.

This guy must have pictures of every head football coach
by ronniewoo  (2018-12-10 10:13:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and AD in the country. How else do you explain this idiot being hired after historically bad performances.

Headhunters and agents are very good at what they do.
by MistakenD  (2018-12-10 12:00:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

NFL experience
Major college experience
Number of Years of experience
Relationships made during that time

Hell, I'm guessing by the time BVG was offered a job that the AD of BG thought the school was getting a bargain.

I'm guessing Mike Jinks did what he was told in hiring BVG to save his job.

Recycled garbage
by Hanratty5ND  (2018-12-10 10:59:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

How do you explain Mike Locksley getting hired at Maryland with his stellar 2-222 record at New Mexico?

How do you explain Lane Kiffin getting hired after fucking up at every place he's ever been?

How about Ty Willingham getting hired by Washington after his dismal performance at ND? Washington deserved every bit of the 0-12 death penalty he left them with.

I can go on and on, but Colleges make stupid retread hires all the time.
Lots of people in positions of power who have no clue on how/who to hire.

On TW
by someguy  (2018-12-10 11:14:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

UW probably bought into the idea that he was a good coach who wasn't given a fair chance because he was black, and it's impossible to win at ND anyways. I remember the tenor of their msg boards after they hired him was generally self-satisfied.

I worked with UW alums
by quasimodo  (2018-12-10 16:32:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Lots of 'em n the seattle area. In addition,there were a lot of locals who were fans too.

Yep, they thought they had stolen Ty from us. That ND treated him awfully and that it's impossible to please the ND fans or win there. Oh, and his recruiting was excellent, look at Brady Quinn and CW winning with Ty's recruits.

I respectfully disagreed.

A few year later a lot of crow was eaten but not by me.

Q

That "0-fer" in his fourth year at UW put to rest...
by Revue Party  (2018-12-10 18:02:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...Notre Dame's decision to dismiss him after three years.

And to accomplish it by losing in double overtime to your 1-10 arch-rival (0-10 against FBS schools), after blowing 10-point halftime lead and having Wazzu kick the game tying field goal on the last play of regulation is about as much insult to injury as you can add.

Granted, he'd been fired by then. But Greg Robinson sure knew how to parlay his firing into one big win before handing up his clip boards (cough, cough; beating Charlie Weis; cough, cough).

I thought Mark Emmert hired him to boost their 'image'
by Hanratty5ND  (2018-12-10 11:24:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm fuzzy on the details--but Neuheisel had gotten Washington in some hot water with recruiting violations and gambling.

I think Emmert wanted someone who was viewed as squeaky clean--regardless of ability. He got what he deserved.

Scary thing is he is the guy who hired Ty at Washington and has been the president of the NCAA for the past number of years. That explains a lot of things. He's a clown.

You can't have a recruiting scandal if you don't recruit
by 105Marquette  (2018-12-10 14:22:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Wonder if UW was aware of Ty's penchant for not signing in at the clubhouse or that he needed to be called off the course.

Linebackers coach. Not DC.
by Revue Party  (2018-12-10 10:00:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They're keeping the current DC, Carl Pelini.

(I only know because I had to check because I simply couldn't believe VanGorder would get another DC job after his last two DC stints).

That's a shame
by ShermanOaksND  (2018-12-10 10:32:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The record for most points in a game at the Stadium is 73 (vs. Haskell in 1932), and the record versus a current FBS team is 69 (vs. Georgia Tech in 1977 -- I was there). For a fleeting moment, I thought we'd see history on October 5, instead of a more routine waltz past Bowling for Dollars.

I assume he'll be bringing his biggest sieve with him.
by SWPaDem  (2018-12-10 09:57:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Still can't figure that Michigan game out.

And people say there is no evidence of a loving God. *
by LoungeTroll  (2018-12-10 23:31:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Is Charlie Molnar coming back too?
by Hanratty5ND  (2018-12-10 09:49:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Hurry up and get the Idaho Vandals scheduled for a game next year.
They can be our 13th game.

Instead of the revenge tour we can call it the reunion tour.