K-State alum, from a town (Salina) that is relatively close,
by bleedsgreen04 (2018-12-12 11:15:23)
Edited on 2018-12-12 11:17:41

In reply to: They thought Venables would come home.  posted by SavageDragon

I think that if he ever actually wants a head coaching job, he'll come to KSU. But he's not going to go there right now for 3 reasons:

1. Don't be the guy that follows a legend. Really I pretty much hold Snyder in the same category as a coach like Mike Brey, but KSU fans hold him a lot higher just simply because KSU was so bad for song long: they never had Digger Phelps days for football. So to them he is a legend.

2. Bill Snyder's recruiting has been terrible even by his own rather poor standards lately. Venables would be a lot better off letting someone else come in for a few years and inject a little bit of new life into the program via recruiting and then come over.

3. As you mentioned, he is putting at least one kid through college right now at Clemson and will want to coach him.

I think almost all of the more reasonable KSU fans are aware of these two factors, and I know quite a couple that knew Venables personally and don't want him around due to personality quirks. They're not real thrilled with this hire just simply because they don't think he has a system that will work for at least a few years. But I think they need to recognize that it's going to take a while to bring things around, particularly when KSU is in the basement of Big 12 recruiting, a conference that already is not replete with a ton of great athletes outside of Texas just due to geography.

Maybe his life ambition was to get out of Salina, Kansas
by sprack  (2018-12-12 14:01:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He probably wouldn't be the first. I have a friend and ex-colleague who grew up in that part of Kansas and also graduated from K-State.

He lives in Denver now and wouldn't move back to central Kansas at gunpoint.

And even if none of that applies, I wouldn't be surprised if Venables is a career assistant. There are coaches who like it that way. And many great assistants who became lousy head coaches and went back to being great assistants again.

As Clint Eastwood said in Magnum Force, "A man's got to know his limitations."

Some people just hate where they're from...
by bleedsgreen04  (2018-12-12 15:40:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Salina isn't *that* bad, my grandparents were from there and lived there quite a bit of their lives, I've spent a fair amount of time there. I certainly don't find Denver that much more appealing than say, Kansas City, but I'm not a fan of snow or hiking or pot, so I guess it's not up my alley.

From what I've come to understand about Venables he doesn't hate Salina and still has family that way. I do think it's entirely possible that he'll just be a career assistant... but Manhattan, Kansas is a decent city for its size, and is just close enough to Kansas City and Salina both to still enjoy most amenities one would need and be close to family. But he definitely won't go there this cycle, as fun as it would have been to have Clemson in chaos right now with their DC distracted with interviews and travel.