Is there a winery with TVs?
by Rockbrig97 (2018-12-13 00:11:20)

In reply to: Are you insane? *  posted by ACross

Not in my experience.

Where the OP is to where you recommended is a 100 mile round
by airborneirish  (2018-12-13 12:25:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

trip. Maybe that's "not far" in your book but it is in mine.

I don't have a problem with going to an Irish Pub
by airborneirish  (2018-12-14 13:13:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

anywhere in the world. Apparently Andy does.

Is it 100?
by HTownND  (2018-12-14 07:27:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I would have pegged St Helena to Sonoma at closer to 70 miles round trip.

The point stands, that’s a long way to go when there are closer options, but that’s not a 50 mile one way is it?

It's 90-100 depending on route *
by airborneirish  (2018-12-14 13:11:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's 15 miles.
by Rockbrig97  (2018-12-14 11:00:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

from Napa proper, where the boring hotels are, to Sonoma Square where the Irish pub is.

I'm sure there are other options. Absolutely no one had suggested one, so I tossed out something I knew existed because I once stayed down the street from it.

The OP wants to watch a football game some place other than a hotel room. Presumably that would be surrounded by others who want to watch said football game and doesn't involve the stick up the ass wine and cheese crowd, for three hours anyway.

I think the problem was
by HTownND  (2018-12-14 11:34:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

While the OP said Napa, they are actually staying in St. Helena, which is pretty far from Napa proper.

"They are staying in St. Helena and don't want to watch the game in their hotel room"

He was using Napa to mean the entire valley, not Napa proper.

And I missed that tidbit.
by Rockbrig97  (2018-12-14 11:50:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I won't try to help next time.

Well
by HTownND  (2018-12-14 11:56:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I wouldn't go that far, but I could see the frustration from your side, you were just trying to be helpful.

Why does it have to be a winery?
by garbageplate  (2018-12-13 10:51:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

There are bars and restaurants in the area with televisions that serve wine and non-Irish food.

Did the OP say he wanted wine?
by Rockbrig97  (2018-12-14 11:01:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's a football game watch. Presumably he's capable of finding plenty of places to drink wine. I suggested a place I know to exist that shows football games.

He said that his family is visiting Napa
by garbageplate  (2018-12-14 11:29:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think it's reasonable to infer that they like wine, or at least that they prefer decent wine to an Irish pub.

As much as Andy can be a snob on these things ...
by Gort  (2018-12-13 00:37:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think his reaction is based on geography, not beer.