I get the feeling this board believes Kelly
by Pat85 (2019-01-15 19:46:49)
Edited on 2019-01-15 19:54:34

In reply to: So, Kelly wont go visit Asa Turner  posted by SEE

is a lazy recruiter. Small timey, purple faced.... has been pretty well accepted, but until this year I somehow had missed this critique of Kelly. I am not a recruitnick, so just curious if that is in fact now an opinion held by many of this board's frequent posters, and if so, whether this is a new criticism or something you have believed about Kelly for a long time.

The rumored “I can’t recruit from the top 100 because...”
by airborneirish  (2019-01-16 10:09:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Presentation to some higher ups by Kelly. That rumor Coincided with a marked drop in 5 start recruiting and the RKG non sense.

Not sure how long it's been the case
by El Kabong  (2019-01-15 23:22:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But based on quotes from recruits and comments from people who cover ND recruiting, Kelly delegates far more recruiting time to assistants than other high-level HC's do.

Contrast BK with Dabo, for example
by ndzippy  (2019-01-16 09:53:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

BK seems to believe the incremental value (i.e., value he adds over & above what his assistants are responsible for) he brings to the program comes from his focus on the offensive scheme and working closely with QBs. I would argue those are things his assistants should be doing.

Dabo clearly believes the incremental value he brings to Clemson comes from establishing a culture and busting his ass on recruiting, which are things that can't really be delegated to assistants. Those are also the things that have established Clemson as one of the two major superpowers in the sport.

They're both "CEO-style" head coaches, but I much prefer Dabo's approach.

He does just fine.
by NDMike2001  (2019-01-15 21:57:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The problem is that he needs to be elite. Not fine.

Clemson 15 Notre Dame 0....
by Wolfetone  (2019-01-15 20:41:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The number of 5-star recruits per team in Cotton Bowl. What does that
tell you about Kelly's recruiting?

Does that alone make him a lazy recruiter?
by Pat85  (2019-01-16 00:12:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I was not trying to add another "Kelly is not an elite coach" post - that is settled business until he wins an FBS/1-A championship. I guess I mistakenly had the impression that his effort level (and that of his staff) was high or at least comparable to the other top 15-20 programs. If he is delegating recruiting obligations, and chooses to under-recruit the elite athletes to save time and energy, add that to the Kelly 3.0 wish list if JS is so inclined to view this offseason as yet another occasion to make changes to take a step up rather than remain status quo.

In fairness, Dabo doesn't require kids to graduate.
by jakam31  (2019-01-15 22:44:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Wait. Nevermind.

Just a bunch of thugs.
by Bruno95  (2019-01-16 07:24:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That Deshaun Watson was a menace to society. And Christian Wilkins cares so little about school that he finished in two and a half years.

87% graduation rate for football players, two national titles in four years, 55-4 record. And yet the same Notre Dame fans who will make excuses for everything from the Tulsa game to the 2016 season, the same fans who brush off Swarbrick’s connection to USAG as a pizzagate conspiracy, presume something’s wrong with Clemson.

it's really the fault of the inner city schools
by jt  (2019-01-16 09:26:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

those kids just get A's as long as they're not fucking their girlfriends in class and they would rather just play video games and steal things than study for real classes.

Oh I thought he was being sarcastic. Geez if not *
by athlete37  (2019-01-16 07:52:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He was — so was I. *
by Bruno95  (2019-01-16 08:02:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Please throwaway the academic crutch... *
by Wolfetone  (2019-01-15 23:10:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Did you even read his post? *
by TAR  (2019-01-15 23:28:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Battery check *
by athlete37  (2019-01-15 23:28:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

To add to this question, is this something for which
by domerfromkansas  (2019-01-15 20:13:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

There is reliable data? Fewer people assigned, not as many miles on the private jet?

The word would be information, not data *
by ACross  (2019-01-15 20:28:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Nope, the word is data
by fontoknow  (2019-01-15 22:30:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

At least based on the questions he asked.

Data are bits of information. But not information itself. That requires analysis and manipulation. Basic facts are data...the narrative constructed with the data is information.

Narrative is a nonsense word
by ACross  (2019-01-16 00:32:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think your entire post earns an F.

I find it to be perfectly cromulent *
by jt  (2019-01-16 09:27:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Something more than anecdotes. *
by domerfromkansas  (2019-01-15 21:08:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post