If you are an elite RB why choose ND?
by KnightlyRevue (2019-01-16 10:42:21)

In reply to: Asst. Coach RBs: Denson Coaching & Recruiting  posted by Hickster

Yes, I get the whole 40 year decision cliche that we tell recruits but they only need to look at our offense and what happens when we get slightly behind or experience any trouble in the run game to know why we are not a first choice option.

Our OL play and our creativity in the run game do not help either. Maybe Denson was not an excellent recruiter but if I had to place a wager I would place my money on the fact that our offense blows choad and not on the recruiter. Elite players want a showcase and what we offer is a vaudeville comedy act when it comes to consistently running the football with a creative and dynamic run game strategy.

Few programs have "bell-cow" backs anymore.
by irishaddict  (2019-01-16 11:18:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And players are wise to the fact that they don't need a lot of tread on their tires to get drafted (and in fact the NFL might prefer that they not). Alabama, Georgia, OSU and Oklahoma to name a few have been using time shares at the RB position.

ND has been giving their guys plenty of opportunities lately.

B/c you can expect to put up good numbers and run
by NDCuse  (2019-01-16 11:14:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

behind a solid offensive. There are valid complaints about play-calling and commitment to the run, but some less than "elite" RBs recruits have put up solid seasons despite injuries/suspensions.

2018 - Dexter Williams (4-star, #11 RB) 995yds, 6.3ypc, 110.5ypg
2017 - Josh Adams (4-star, #26 RB), 1430yds, 6.9ypc, 110ypg
2016 - Josh Adams, 933yds, 5.9ypc, 77.8ypg
2015 - C.J. Prosise (4-star, #23 Safety), 1029yds, 6.6ypc, 103ypg
Josh Adams, 838yds, 7.2ypc, 69.8ypg

This only shows that elite RBs
by KnightlyRevue  (2019-01-16 12:10:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

will not consider ND under Kelly, and while teams may not employ a feature back who gets 30 carries a game, none of those stats would convince me to betray what my eyes see; namely, when the going gets tough Kelly's offense is going air raid and our variety of run calls seems to include inside and outside zone 90% of the time. Zero creativity to get me the ball.

Until I see different, I expect us to continue to get high 3 star and low 4 star RBs as the standard commit at the position.

What a cluster 2016 was.
by manofdillon  (2019-01-16 11:16:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

For some reason I had it in my mind that last year was Adams' break-out year. I totally forgot he put up those kind of numbers in 2016. And somehow we only won 4 games?

Thanks, Kelly and BVG.