I'm enjoying the Miscamble book on Hesburgh. I didn't know
by VaDblDmr (2019-05-12 23:57:50)

that Hesburgh was so personally fond of Lou. I'm not surprised by that, but I didn't know it. Interestingly, according to the book, Hesburgh threw a little shade on his successor's treatment of Lou.

Fr. H's most significant contribution to ND is financial, as
by T-Bone  (2019-05-13 16:12:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

in endowment. He knew the importance of money and how to amass it.

A comparison of Fr. Miscamble's book vs "Hesburgh" movie: (link)
by Jess  (2019-05-13 11:21:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

What a hit piece. Spends as much on his role on the Civil
by NJIrish04  (2019-05-14 00:18:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Rights Commission as it does on the fact he was happy Obama spoke at commencement in 2009 (more than 20 years after he had stepped down as President). Seriously? What a right wing hit job on a good man that did more than anyone else to raise the profile of Our Lady’s University in the second half of the twentieth century.

What rubbish
by TCIrish03  (2019-05-14 10:49:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

"Right wing hit job"...c'mon.

What was written in that article that was not true, or at least accurate?
-LoL (an apt moniker) issued in the secularization of Catholic Universities, much like what had been seen a century earlier with denominational Protestant universities.
-The Rockefeller commission was against the final draft of Humanae Vitae (among other things). But it ultimately didn't matter, as all the prog bishops and priests preached against it in the confessional and at the pulpit, leading to the continual mess of the sexual revolution under the guise of "conscience".
-the Cuomo incident lives on in the despicable recent acts of his son.
-"Fr." (hey, he hated wearing the collar) McBrien and his heretical book Catholicism are direct counter-point to the recent thread in the PBR of professors having influence on their pupils. "If you want your kids to lose the Catholic Faith, send them to a Catholic University". How much confusion has that book sown.

Now, I'm sure progs champion these as stepping stone victories, but not for the soul and fidelity of the Church.

Writes Msgr. Kelly, when Ex Corde Ecclesia was promulgated: "The Land O'Lakes protagonists have been so persuasive in deconstructing the typical American Catholic institution of higher education in the name of teaching excellence, research grants, university prestige, even survival, that the essential elements of the matter under discussion—young students and their commitment to the Catholic faith—rarely come under critical analysis or involve confessions of personal responsibility by administrators of Catholic colleges."

Or as Scripture is more succinct: Mark 8:36 "For what shall it profit a man, if he gain the whole world, and suffer the loss of his soul?"

Fr. Hesburgh was a great man who did many great things, and he was far greater than both his successors, but he was not infallible.

A few thoughts
by NJIrish04  (2019-05-14 21:06:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Nobody is claiming Hesburgh is infallible, but Reilly's piece is, true to my understanding of what he typically does (the more inflammatory the claim, the more the extreme right wingers open their wallets for his group), a breathless jeremiad.

One easy to pick out example is him noting of the documentary that "It’s not even acknowledged that 83 Catholic bishops publicly opposed the Obama honors." No shit it's not acknowledged - why in God's name would it be when Hesburgh wasn't ND's President when Obama was invited and hadn't been for more than 2 decades? While the invitation from a decade ago continues to be an obsession of the likes of Reilly and Randall Terry, he tries to tie it in here as some count against Hesburgh without there being any basis for it.

And we have different views on Land o Lakes. If people find Notre Dame to be so heretical, then they can attend one of the schools that has the "blessing" of the Cardinal Newman Society like Franciscan or the University of Dallas. I know people that went to some of the schools on their pure list (of which Notre Dame is not included) - they all would have attended Notre Dame in a heartbeat if they could have gotten in. Would you want your kids to go to one of those schools over Notre Dame? Do you wish you had gone to one of those schools instead? The school somehow lost its soul by climbing into the ranks of a top 20 national university? Really?

Do you really think the school would be better off today under the control of bishops, many of whom recent history has shown, were such poor stewards of their own dioceses that they spent decades moving around pedophile priests who were then free to rape more children? I think the overwhelming majority of alums would say no. But moving out from under their control is reflective of ND losing its soul? Come on...

I think the piece posted by GK was at least reflective of the pros and cons of Hesburgh from a conservative perspective. I don't agree with all of it, but can see an attempt at a balanced approach showing that Hesburgh, as you correctly note, "was not infallible". This piece certainly did not ever intend to take a fair view.

First of all, let me be clear, I am very proud of
by TCIrish03  (2019-05-16 12:18:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

my Notre Dame degree and would not trade it for anything. Whether or not my children go there is another matter, based on their own desires and out of control costs. Though at this stage of the game, I think it is fair to ask the question "Is an ND (or any private school for that matter) education worth $75k/year (and rising)?"

I don't know how long you have been here on NDNation, but I have been here since the early days and was one of the CFC signers. I don't say that to brag as if I think that makes me important, but to emphasize that as stakeholders, my fellow alumni and I wanted to ensure ND stayed true to it's tri-fold mission. Catholic identity was one of those.

Point by point:
-I don't follow the Newman Society, I only vaguely know that they have a Catholic college ranking system and are labeled by most to be "conservative". So I am thus unfamiliar with this Reilly guy, and wasn't attempting to suck up for him. What got me was the "right-wing" moniker. I am sick of the Catholic faith being described as "right wing" and "left wing". I just want to be Catholic. Period.

-At the time, I was vehemently against the Obama invite, and Fr. Jenkins' embarrassing handling of it (the dialog that never happened), and equally embarrassing attempt to smooth it over by playing Ms Glendon only to have her turn down the Laetare medal. However, I've moved on from continually bringing it up. Water under the bridge. Now, if the Hesburgh movie was also about events that occurred after his retirement but they left that part out, then that is indeed a glaring omission.

-Notre Dame is not like Georgetown or Boston College, schools that are actually embarrassed about their Catholic roots (e.g., Georgetown covering crucifixes). But again, as stated above, as a stakeholder the whole point is to prevent ND from coming to that end. There must be vigilance and oversight.

-The problem with American Catholic Education (and Catholicism generally in recent decades) is that it forgets that the Catholic (true Christian) religion is a both/and religion. Jesus was 100% God and 100% man, not 50/50. Love God and love your neighbor. The cross has both a vertical pole (pointing to God) and a horizontal beam (pointing to fellow man). We have been focusing so much on the Corporal Works of Mercy (though many probably forget they are called that; feed the hungry, water the thirsty, clothe the naked, visit the sick, shelter homeless, visit imprisoned, bury the dead) that we have as a whole neglected the Spiritual Works of Mercy (to instruct the ignorant, counsel the doubtful, admonish the sinners, bear patiently wrongdoings, forgive offenses, comfort the afflicted, pray for the living and the dead)

Instruct. Counsel. Admonish. Those 3 require robust, unambiguous teaching of the true Faith. As Chesterton says "The difficulty of explaining “why I am a Catholic” is that there are ten thousand reasons all amounting to one reason: that Catholicism is true. " Not because it feels good, or makes me happy. If it isn't true, and is just one self-help program among many, then it isn't worth anything, and certainly not worth a sacrifice on a cross.

As for the bishops, my opinions on them have been known, and I have no blind obedience to the guilty. But the Church has always been in the hands of sinful men, and is a great mystery. One difference is, back when there were pedophiles among the clergy (and there have been scandals before indeed), we could trust the Inquisition to imprison them or burn them at the stake.

Thanks, and some responses
by NJIrish04  (2019-05-21 09:48:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I figured you were proud of it and where it's gotten you - based on prior posting I think you have a PhD and work in a lab, and I'm sure the degree helped you with getting into a good graduate program. I do wonder whether the University would have risen to its current level (that you and I as early to mid 2000s grads have benefited from professionally) if it was still under the direction of the clergy in the same way it was pre-Land o Lakes. I don't think so and I think LoL helped elevate the school academically.

I've only been on here for the past 4 years or so I don't have your tenure. Perhaps that's why its not clear to me what the CFC is/was.

I agree that the faith shouldn't be right wing or left wing but I think we can agree that there are right wing and left wing groups that operate within or alongside the faith. I think a further look at Reilly and the Newman Society shows that both are right wing and I stand by my characterization of them as such.

W/r/t the Obama invite - as you note, you were opposed to it and Jenkins' handling of it. We disagree, but that's fine. But why in God's name would it be relevant to critique Hesburgh for the Obama invite besides as a way of getting a swipe in at a person and place that Reilly doesn't like? It's not relevant - again, why I saw the piece as a right wing hit job. As I noted, other articles posted had a balanced take and while critical of Hesburgh, didn't bring in the Obama invite as some sort of gotcha.

And I know you're no defender of the bishops, but isn't that all the more reason to support a declaration that brings a school that we both love and have benefited from out from under their thumb?

I would expect nothing less from the Cardinal Newman Society *
by fontoknow  (2019-05-14 09:19:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

A review of the movie from the same newspaper. (link)
by G.K.Chesterton  (2019-05-13 14:37:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Hesburgh was definitely a bridge builder who brought people
by ndlp  (2019-05-14 19:24:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

together, both at Notre Dame and in the outside world of secular society. To do so in the difficult 1960's was a great accomplishment.
I think that Father Miscamble does point out that while Notre Dame gathered a larger endowment and world attention while under Father Hesburgh, one still has to ask, did it lose some of its religious focus and Catholic character in the process?
" Miscamble’s verdict on Hesburgh is as devastating as it is understated: “Without making a major and formal decision he began to allow what might be called the pursuit of excellence approach to supplant the pursuit of the truth.”

I wonder if Fr. Miscamble understands...
by Kbyrnes  (2019-05-14 19:53:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...a potential implication of his cleverly worded formulation, namely, that the pursuit of truth is something divorced from the pursuit of excellence. A similarly tendentious reply might be, "Given the institutional Church's pursuit of truth as it pertained to the treatment of persons abused by a number of its ordained people, it's hardly surprising that reasonable minds would question that institution's claim to be the source of truth in any respect."

Regarding the pursuit of truth,I admire this Hesburgh quote:
by ndlp  (2019-05-15 08:11:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

"Notre Dame can and must be a crossroads where all the vital intellectual currents of our time meet in dialogue, where the great issues of the Church and the world today are plumbed to their depths, where every sincere inquirer is welcomed and listened to and respected by a serious consideration of what he has to say about his belief or unbelief, his certainty or uncertainty; where differences of culture and religion and conviction can co-exist with friendship, civility, hospitality, respect and love; a place where the endless conversation is harbored and not foreclosed."

That's a great quote *
by NJIrish04  (2019-05-15 22:05:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I agree 100%. *
by Kbyrnes  (2019-05-15 16:12:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

There are giants and then there are not giants.
by SWPaDem  (2019-05-13 07:05:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I guess it all comes down to whether the man in charge is comfortable in his own skin or not.