The Portal.
by TWO (2019-05-16 11:32:27)

So this is the first big year for the Portal and a lot of kids have taken advantage of it. 450 players from Power 5 conferences have their names in the Portal. Sadly the numbers aren't great for them finding that new and better home.

240 kids have found new homes, but only 92 of them are with another Power 5 team. That leaves 210 kids who unless they can get something this summer will likely be walking on some place and paying their own tuition. While there is no rule that they can't come back to their old team, most coaches have said if you go into the portal you're done.

Pat Narduzzi told the Athletic that you can't have one foot in and one foot out. If you go into the Portal you are gone. Herm Edwards said the same thing. There are cases of players changing their minds and the coach welcoming them back, but those are the exception and likely the player is one they need.

Speculation is that while the Portal was supposed to make it more player friendly to transfer, eliminating the need to go behind the back of your current team/coach to find a new spot. But with this many kids not having offers it would seem that kids will start doing that again before they put their name in the portal and lose their scholarship.

I don't know if they can fix this, it's just going to be a risk for kids to take if they feel they can't continue at their current program.

Quick story. Co-worker's kid is on staff at a D1 school
by Raoul  (2019-05-18 11:00:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Kid on team entered the portal not really understanding the implications. They tried hard to keep him out of the portal because they expected him to play 30% of the time as an OL the next year. He went in anyway. They moved on.

He said when you enter the portal you are dead to the current coaching staff. They have to move on and find a replacement. Kid started having second thoughts. He truly didn't believe the team was moving on. He asked to come back. They told him they had filled his slot with someone else (not sure if recruit or JC transfer). They had told him they were moving on if entered but it seems he didn't believe them.

Coaches need to grow up.
by John@Indy  (2019-05-17 08:46:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

College athletes are adults with a particular talent and only a 4-6 year window in which to use it. I don't blame any player who explores whether his current school is the best
place for him. It's fine for coaches to interview for other jobs and either take them or extort a few million more out of their employers. That's apparently not bad for the game, but if a player refuses to treat his head coach like a feudal lord, the system can't possibly survive. (To add to the hypocrisy, these same coaches will accept transfers who will help their programs, but the players who leave their programs have deficient character).

Is it a hassle for coaches? Yes. That's what the money's for, assholes.

Athletic directors with balls can fix this by telling their coaches that while they don't have to hold a scholarship for players in the portal, they aren't allowed to cut them simply for considering a transfer.

I don't blame coaches or players. Each has to use
by Raoul  (2019-05-18 11:02:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

whatever leverage he or she has to advance his career.

Life has risks. It is what it is.

"That's what the money's for" - Couldn't agree more!
by ndzippy  (2019-05-17 09:04:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I couldn't care less about how much more "complicated" things have become for college football coaches. The average Power 5 coach now makes more than $3.5 million per year...that's more than enough money to offset the mental anguish that comes from trying to manage a team from year to year.

I like Dabo Swinney, but he's a perfect example of the hypocrisy contaminating the coaching ranks these days. First, his stance on players getting paid (he's not a fan):

"But as far as paying players, professionalizing college athletics, that's where you lose me. I’ll go do something else, because there's enough entitlement in this world as it is."

Next, his stance on the transfer portal (also not a fan):

"We want a society with no consequences. OK, everybody says this coach makes a lot of money or that coach makes a lot of money," Swinney said via ESPN.com. "Somebody’s getting paid a lot of money, too. There’s consequences. There’s buyouts. There should be consequences. You deal with young people, sometimes young people need to learn how to hang in there a little bit."

And, finally, this:

"Clemson announced Friday that it has agreed to a 10-year, $93 million contract extension with coach Dabo Swinney that will keep him with the Tigers through the 2028 season. The new deal will pay him $8.25 million in 2019, and increase incrementally up to $10 million in 2027 and 2028. It is the richest coaching contract in college football history."

Give me a freaking break...

Yeah, he's one of the worst offenders.
by John@Indy  (2019-05-18 09:36:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

A glorified gym teacher who will die with a nine figure net worth would hate it if his sport became professionalized.

My favorite line from Mad Men (link)
by pmac98  (2019-05-17 09:43:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Such a classic. The next clip is awesome as well. *
by Raoul  (2019-05-18 11:13:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Very OT, but mine's in here.
by 1NDGal  (2019-05-17 13:41:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Oh, Roger. Miss you so much.

I was hoping it would be this. *
by John@Indy  (2019-05-18 09:40:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The public aspect is a double-edged sword
by El Kabong  (2019-05-16 13:46:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You're right that one of the benefits was supposed to be eliminating the need for the secret-service aspect of the whole thing. But making it public goes both ways -- once your current coach knows you're wavering, it hurts the trust even if a preliminary investigation of options yields nothing of value.

Until GIAs are 4-year grants, this will continue *
by fontoknow  (2019-05-16 12:52:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Aren’t Power 5 scholarships four years? *
by beancounter  (2019-05-17 09:01:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Technically, no
by ndzippy  (2019-05-17 09:09:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The P5 rule states that coaches can't take scholarships away for poor athletic performance. However, scholarships can still be taken away for a variety of other reasons, and some of them are probably pretty easy to make up.

See the link below for more details.