He wasn't a classless jerk like Lou's successors
by ndtnguy (2019-06-05 14:40:43)

In reply to: I'm too young to remember Faust's time at ND  posted by irisharab

This has come up here before, but the general story, so to speak, is that Faust was not an assassin, or an embittered jackass. He was in over his head and he failed, but he had a genuine affection for the University and maintained goodwill towards it and the program after his departure. People came to view him as an affably tragic figure, incapable of achieving football greatness but not deserving of active scorn once he had been ousted.

Now, is that accurate? People will point out that he refused to resign and forced the University to fire him. That militates against his good-guy persona. But he does not seem to have made a name for himself attacking and criticizing the University in the years since his departure (or at least, that's not what people remember). Maybe it was just the time. Or maybe Bob Davie just ruined the process of getting fired as ND's head coach such that everyone after that had to be run out of town on a rail as an embittered, angry, foaming wreck.

Not exactly true that he refused to resign
by tf86  (2019-06-13 18:10:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He did resign following the Penn State loss in '85, IIRC, effective at season's end.

when he was asked to resign after year 3
by 84david  (2019-06-05 17:42:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

he was cryin like a pussy.

Yeah!

similar to Weis in a sense
by jt  (2019-06-05 16:33:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

both guys should have resigned (in Weis' case, negotiate a buyout) at least a year before they were removed. Both came from outside of college football and both struggled to adjust.

Weis is a bigger jerkoff and a better overall x and o coach, but he's also a big fat lazy slob.

Faust was a good man who lived his faith
by HolyCrossHog  (2019-06-05 16:15:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I taught at Mishawaka Marian High School during his tenure and every year he'd show up at our fall fundraising festival with 5-6 players to hang out and greet people. He helped us raise a lot of money and was very gracious with his time. He believed in a Catholic education. It was sad that he didn't succeed because, unlike most of our later coaches, he was a good representative of the university.

I was a student at Marian then
by ndtuba  (2019-06-05 20:40:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And I remember him showing up with some players in tow at those fundraisers in mid August. Nice guy, just wasn’t qualified for the job. I don’t blame him for taking the job, but Joyce and Hesburgh should’ve never offered it to him in the first place.

Totally agree
by Camarillo Brillo  (2019-06-06 14:48:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

What in God’s name were Joyce and Hesburgh thinking?

They got arrogant
by tf86  (2019-06-13 18:13:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They had two homerun hires in a row (to an extent, at least) with Ara and Devine and thought they could do no wrong.

More importantly, he has a sincere love for ND based in
by jrdjr84  (2019-06-05 15:01:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

love for Our Lady. He makes the rounds these days as a speaker at Catholic men's conferences. For Faust, faith come first. That served him well as a high school coach. That and the rest of his coaching repertoire did not translate to the ND sideline. Too bad.

Hence my handle
by sayahailmary  (2019-06-05 18:35:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I was a student manager for the first two years of his tenure. A few notable highs--the win in his first game at LSU, the first night game win v Michigan, but more than our share of lows--the shellacking by Michigan in his second game, Miami wipeouts, losing to Air Force in back to back years.
He wore his faith, and his devotion to the Blessed Mother, on his sleeve. His tendency to tell his players on the sideline to "Say a Hail Mary" that a play would be successful carried over to Notre Dame. Good man, over his head as a DI football coach. He did introduce Larry Williams to his wife, Laura, during summer camp 1981, so he did have some chops as a matchmaker, however.

You are correct in your assessment of Gerry. I sat and
by Irish72  (2019-06-05 14:59:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

talked with him on the porch at Warren the year ND hosted the BigEast golf tournament (2000?). Could not meet a nicer man, but as you say, he was not ready to coach upper level D1 football.

I didn't think he was "fired". i thought he finished his
by Rosecrea  (2019-06-05 14:56:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

initial five year contract, it wasn't renewed and the parties went their separate ways.

Per Catholics vs Convicts 30 for 30 Episode...
by subalumt  (2019-06-05 15:24:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

.... he resigned right before the, ugh, Miami shlacking.

Semantics
by ShermanOaksND  (2019-06-07 21:34:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

This was my senior year. Faust did use the word “resign,” but nobody doubted for a nanosecond that he’d be gone after the finale at Miami. In fact, there were “Gerry Faust Farewell Tour” t-shirts at the outset of the season, concluding with “January 1 — Idle.”

That is correct
by Vairish84  (2019-06-05 15:24:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

In those days though, you got a 5 year contract and then went year to year. He did actually resign then, several games before the end of the year. He spared the University the trouble of not 'renewing' him.

There were also rumors that after his first 5-6 year, he tried to resign but Moose wouldn't accept it.

The tragic figure comment mentioned above is how I view him, and much like Dillon 301, he spoke at my Class Dinner that Friday as well. He supposedly was speaking at two that night.

Gracias *
by Rosecrea  (2019-06-07 16:22:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That might well be correct. *
by ndtnguy  (2019-06-05 15:10:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post