He was #1 HS QB in 1993.
by domer4 (2019-06-08 23:32:16)

In reply to: Favorite Notre Dame player from a “down” era?  posted by bluengold07

I think Holtz just figured if he would come, why pass on it?

And Holtz took Rick Mirer - #1 USA Today high school quarterback and a guy who basically broke all of Jeff George's record.

The Mirer experience wasn't great - but it wasn't that bad. Unfortunately, Powlus seemed slower/less athletic too.

Mirer? Wasn’t great?
by irishrock  (2019-06-09 01:02:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Three year starter
29-7-1 as a starter
3 bowl games going 2-1 (major bowl games...not the crap we find ourselves in today)
2nd pick in the draft

I thought he was an excellent qb

No kidding, Mirer was a great college QB. *
by TWO  (2019-06-09 08:36:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Mirer was a square peg in a round hole.
by domer4  (2019-06-09 10:49:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I can only imagine the hundreds (thousands) of hours he had to practice the option in his 4 years at ND - he would have been much better served in a passing/west coast or pro style offense.

Even some comments by boardcasters after he "sailed" a ball on a receiver said as much (starting with Bill Walsh on NBC).

Holtz probably figured he would be doing the same with Powlus.

Sadly - the really great ND teams were 1988, 1989 and 1993 - the off years of a pro style (non naturally option) QB.

We would have won more games in '90 and '91 with anyone but
by TCIrish03  (2019-06-11 11:11:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Gary Darnell running the defense. 1990 actually reminds me a lot of the 2015 team in that regard. Enough offense to win comfortably most games, but bad defense kept too many games close.

1990: shouldn't have lost to Stanford. Penn State is a tossup. Let's not talk about the bowl game
1991: should have played better defense vs TN and PSU, don't get in shootout with Hawaii
2015: shouldn't have lost to Stanford. Clemson is a tossup. More competitive with OSU in bowl game. Shootouts in reg season kept 2nd string from getting time.

Maybe. His pro career was a strong indication that he
by btd  (2019-06-10 09:21:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

wasn't able to run those pass heavy offenses all that well -- and he was in the pros long enough and given enough time as a starter to learn a more sophisticated passing offense and a knock on him was he couldn't.

Wasn't Mirer more athletic than McDougal?
by Tex Francisco  (2019-06-09 13:22:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Mirer certainly had better rushing numbers, at least in his junior year.

Mirer
91 - 75 att, 306 yds, 9 tds
92 - 68/158/2

McDougal
93 - 55/85/4

Mirer certainly wouldn't win a dance off against McDougal, but rushing a football, I'm not sure they're that different.

Probably better at making the option reads v better athelete *
by btd  (2019-06-10 09:23:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Rick was a pretty athletic qb
by jt  (2019-06-09 11:55:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

i thought that he was fine in the offense; I don't know that the option was as much of an issue as the lack of sophistication in the passing game. When they brought Powlus in, the plan was to start to incorporate more advanced concepts and I believe that was Skip's role, but the problem was that everyone else on the team was recruited for a different system. I think that the other problem was that Ron (God bless him) was never really the same after his injury and definitely wasn't as athletic in his later years.

That said, I don't recall too many issues with Rick running the offense. I might be wrong.

Rick perhaps wasn't capable of running a more sophisticated
by btd  (2019-06-10 08:44:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

passing scheme? That seemed to be the complaint about him in the pros. Holtz probably would have run the same offense either way since he generally stuck with the "if it's not broken, don't fix it" methodology -- but perhaps Holtz knew Rick's limitations better than people think he did.

I think that he (and Powlus as well) could have
by jt  (2019-06-10 10:08:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I don't think that we needed them to.

Oddly, Ron's passing numbers were better under 96 than 97 *
by btd  (2019-06-10 13:55:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

not odd at all, unfortunately
by jt  (2019-06-12 12:17:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

he had a much better offensive coach in 96.

I’m glad he went to ND over Michigan
by irishrock  (2019-06-09 11:50:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I sincerely have no idea what you are talking about.

He ran the O very well. Won a lot of big games. Had a few great comebacks. Had a winning record against Southern Cal (Undefeated) and Went 1-1-1 against Michigan (Senior year should have been a win). 2-1 in bowl games with the loss being to Colorado (still disputed in my mind...Rocket return)

In that era, what qb would you have preferred?

Powlus was a square peg
by ND_Navy  (2019-06-09 00:34:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

that Holtz tried to pound into a round hole. Powlus did seem like a good guy and it appeared that he tried very hard to master the Holtz offense but it just wasn't a great fit.

He looked pretty good kicking LSU’s ass. *
by Fasted68  (2019-06-09 16:04:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post