SEC fans are a little nuts.
by jakam31 (2019-09-22 21:54:07)

In reply to: Atmosphere in the stadium.  posted by Domer84

I've been to Athens, Tuscaloosa, and Gainesville and the fans at each stop were equal parts knowledgeable and crazy. Georgia probably had the best environment of the three.

Three years ago, South Carolina and Florida in late November. Two mediocre football teams. Pleasantly warm but a noon kickoff so tough to get overly drunk. A girl in her early 20s was going batshit crazy over every bad call. Horrific screeching for three hours. Very angry.

Two years ago, LSU and Alabama. Mink Fitzpatrick goes down. My buddies and I are trying to figure out what happened. A lady sitting next to us who was in her mid-40s says, "Oh that's just Minkah. He was a little banged up coming into this week. He might have tweaked his ankle. But he will be just fine." I am fairly certain she didn't know her kids' names but she knew about the injury report for the Crimson Tide.

Last year, Auburn and Georgia. Another middle aged lady. This time an Auburn fan. Screamed as Gus Malzahn for three hours. "GET A NEW PLAYBOOK GUUUUUUS! YOU SUCK GUUUUUS!" Again, very angry. But she was right.

The other thing that has struck me about visiting SEC Country is that in Athens you can't chew tobacco in the stadium. Security asked a number of fans around us to dispose of theirs. Now, you wanna cuss at the opposing coach? No worries. Just don't rub snuff while you're doing it. Same thing at Florida. Don't even bring it in the stadium.

Overall the fanbases down there are well-informed and know their shit. I have had zero bad experiences but I was a neutral observer and was there for the experience. Georgia was probably the one I think would be most intimidating for an opposing team. Pregame is like being at a hip-hop concert with 90,000 people who hate you.

I have never found my fellow Gators to be that...
by Scoop80  (2019-09-22 22:40:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

knowledgeable. As a group, they sure as hell weren’t in my law school days, admittedly long ago. Most UF alumni I have encountered over the ensuing decades tend to be less knowledgeable than most Domers I know.

I'm married to one, and he wouldn't hesitate to say
by ocmj  (2019-09-23 00:03:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm much more knowledgable about all things football than he. I think he thinks it's hot...And he watches most ND games with me from start to finish.

Foreplay *
by acrossdmiddle  (2019-09-23 13:49:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

This guy seems knowledgeable. (link)
by cj  (2019-09-22 22:58:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Mr. Two Bits He Ain't...
by Scoop80  (2019-09-22 23:07:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

JS would've found a way to sponsor the cheer and/or otherwise monetize it.

That guy’s a legend. Thanks.
by cj  (2019-09-22 23:57:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Dancing Harry was around when I was growing up. Funny stuff...

There’s a guy out here in so cal that shows up at HS games cape in tow. He literally belongs in a strait jacket. No school affiliation, free lancing and thinks people should give him money...

Non stop frenetic random lunacy .... I think he shoots crack into his eyeballs...

True. But this was still impressive.
by Domer84  (2019-09-22 22:06:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I've had 2 at Mississippi State so I have been to a few SEC venues. They crank it up for everything. I am always a little jealous because I wish that ND fans could still be that passionate.

Sanford stadium has the reputation of being the quietest 95k
by miamioh_irishfan  (2019-09-22 21:58:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

People in the SEC

You want intimidating go to Baton Rouge. Holy shit that place at night just goes a bit differently than anywhere else.

Sanford was plenty loud
by Twinkie the Kid  (2019-09-23 08:29:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It was every bit as loud as Tennessee in 2004, if not louder. I'm guessing Georgia fans are like many others -- get a big name, top 10 team in your stadium, and they'll be loud. Play some body bag game? Not so much. I'm guessing LSU wasn't rockin' when they played Northwestern State.

It’s reputation is one of being quiet.
by miamioh_irishfan  (2019-09-23 12:32:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I’m sure it was loud as hell Saturday

That sounds like a bogus reputation - it was loud.
by TonyBullets  (2019-09-22 23:21:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Maybe that was from the tail end of the Richt era, who knows.

Its on the list.
by jakam31  (2019-09-22 22:01:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We ran into some LSU fans two years ago. They were appalled we hadn't been to Death Valley. The plan is Bama-LSU next year.