It's all about the Michigan game and rightfully so.
by Irishdemon (2019-12-03 20:03:03)

In reply to: ND is 15th. UofM is 14th. MN and Cincy are the only  posted by cujays96

But make no mistake, the committee is absolutely railroading Notre Dame.

Wisconsin is 10-2 and lost to Illinois and got drilled by Ohio St. and the Badgers are #8.

Notre Dame is 10-2 and lost to #4 Georgia by 6 on the road and got drilled by #14 Michigan and the Irish are #15.

Here's what Mullens said about the Badgers being ranked #8: "Three wins over Top 25 teams, losses to Ohio State and "close loss" to Illinois. "We see them as a balanced team."

Guess who else has three wins over Top 25 teams? Notre Dame does. And they damn sure didn't lose to a team like Illinois - yet Wisconsin is sitting there seven spots higher.

So yeah, ND's reputation in the eyes of the committee is clearly in the shitter.

Sagarin computer has Wisconsin #7 and ND #14.
by squid  (2019-12-04 09:54:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Michigan #8.

I often can't make sense of the relative rankings of a computer ranking like Sagarin.

But it's objective. And it backs up the committee.

Who cares?
by NDCuse  (2019-12-03 23:53:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The purpose of the committee is to decide the top 4. No teams ranked after #7 have a chance to make the playoff so it doesn't really matter how the remaining teams are ranked. The committee doesn't put out a post-bowl ranking because their opinions are no longer relevant.

There are 3 undefeated teams who are truly elite. UGA and OU aren't far behind but are weak on one side of the ball. Bama would be in this second group with Tua. After that, there are about 10 teams that are difficult to differentiate in any consistent and meaningful way, but they can't stay within 2 scores of the top 3.

Maybe they aren’t as impressed with our ten wins
by meatwhistle  (2019-12-03 21:55:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

As we keep being told we should.

We have a common opponent in Michigan
by BmoreIrish  (2019-12-03 21:53:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Wisconsin crushed them, they crushed us. Not hard to comprehend.

The committee is not "railroading" us. They are appropriately ranking us for mediocre results against a thin schedule.

Is this post serious?
by pmcdnd96  (2019-12-03 21:40:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

All three ranked teams that Wisconsin beat are ahead of the teams we beat, including the Michigan team that beat the piss out of us.

Our ranking is about right, which is a sad commentary on Kelly.

which top 25 teams? UNM? Bowling Green? Louisville? BC? *
by jt  (2019-12-03 21:27:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

So what I am getting from this
by captaineclectic  (2019-12-03 21:25:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Is that the committee is very mean and biased against us and still gave us no worse than we deserve.

The damages associated with their alleged bigotry are $0.00.

I’ll spend my agita elsewhere.

Railroading?
by SorinBasement  (2019-12-03 21:13:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Please list the signature wins of the Kelly era.

I’ll wait.

[vacated] *
by IrishJosh24  (2019-12-04 12:38:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They were smart to position Wisconsin 8th
by Nihilist in Golf Pants  (2019-12-03 21:12:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If they beat The Ohio State, the committee can justify moving them into the playoff.
If they get drilled as expected, the committee will drop them to where they belong.

Wisconsin crushed Michigan
by Jtnd05  (2019-12-03 21:08:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I have zero issue with the committee's ranking. The Michigan game was a key marker for comparing us to Wisconsin and Penn State.

Our wins are just not as good. This year especially, the top 15 are significantly better than the pack. While are in that group, we should be at the bottom of it.
Any of the team above us would be heavily favored over Navy and Virginia and favored over USC.

No, it's also about the Clemson game
by El Kabong  (2019-12-03 20:16:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And the Miami and Stanford games.

And all the games where ND has been blown out while Kelly stands on the sidelines with a 30-mile stare having no earthly idea what to do.

ND isn't getting railroaded. The committee has decided what a Kelly-coached ND team does, and has decided to no longer give them the benefit of the doubt.

Hats off to the Committee - they got something right. *
by ocmj  (2019-12-04 02:03:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

This! ! ! *
by other_guy  (2019-12-03 21:40:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and have you heard our announcers? They hate ND!
by jt  (2019-12-03 21:29:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

What I wouldn't give for an alum up in the booth to really give us the info we need during the game! I bet Joe Theismann would even hum "Here Come the Irish" during TV timeouts!

Don’t forget the refs and media hate. *
by irpa  (2019-12-03 21:36:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

we need to get our own refs *
by jt  (2019-12-03 23:42:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Agree. This could be the most insightful post of the day *
by ChestnutND  (2019-12-04 10:33:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They won’t get fooled again *
by MAS  (2019-12-03 21:26:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

^^^^^^^ *
by 1NDGal  (2019-12-03 21:43:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Agree. And Michigan absolutely should be above ND
by ND44  (2019-12-03 20:13:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But it is worth mentioning that this logic did not exist last year when ND won the game yet some idiots though Michigan should be ranked higher.

That's true, but it never actually happened.
by austindomer  (2019-12-04 10:34:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Yes, the question of ranking Michigan above ND was grist for the mill on the sports talk shows during November. But the only people who actually took the argument seriously were butt-hurt Michigan fans who couldn't believe their unbeatable team got smacked down by Notre Dame. For everyone else it was just a way to capture eyeballs.

They are tired of elevating ND only to watch them
by cujays96  (2019-12-03 20:07:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

crash and burn.

And they're tired of the criticism that came with it.
by ArasEra  (2019-12-03 21:32:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

This is probably a message to ND for the future.

In my heart I hope that the message is not “join a
by 1NDGal  (2019-12-03 21:46:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Conference or die,” but rather “you can stay independent, but you damn well better have only one loss and it best be a top-4 team.”

If our one loss were 23-17 at Georgia, life could be different.

I am willing to take that deal in order to remain Independent.

Probably the latter, but I wouldn't be shocked if there are
by ArasEra  (2019-12-03 22:20:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

some on the committee who fit in the former.

100% agreeance on remaining independent but let's clean up our act and make no doubt about it.