I'm not liking the semifinal bowl pairings
by El Kabong (2019-12-05 10:55:27)
Edited on 2019-12-05 10:57:54

ND is shut out of the Rose and Sugar Bowls when they're not a semifinal. Unfortunately, those bowls are also paired up as semifinal hosts, meaning two out of every three years, there are only two NY6 games ND could possibly go to, and in one of those years, it's basically Cotton or bust.

Year 1: Rose/Sugar CFP, ND can go to Cotton, CFA or Fiesta, possibly Orange (7 available slots)
Year 2: Orange/Cotton CFP, ND can go to CFA or Fiesta (4 available slots)
Year 3: Fiesta/CFA CFP, ND can go to Cotton, possibly Orange (3 available slots)

The 2019 season is a Year 3, where we're even more behind the 8-ball than usual.

I wish they'd swap the Fiesta and Rose to balance things out.

Year 1: Fiesta/Sugar CFP, ND can go to Cotton or CFA, possibly Orange (5 available slots)
Year 2: Orange/Cotton CFP, ND can go to CFA or Fiesta (4 available slots)
Year 3: Rose/CFA CFP, ND can go to Cotton or Fiesta, possibly Orange (5 available slots)

Orange or Cotton
by RJD  (2019-12-05 14:59:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

would have provided us the supercalifragilisticexpialidocious opportunity to play another ACC team. Good Lord!

Shouldn't Jack be able to negotiate a deal that would include us for bowl consideration among ACC candidates rather than as an ACC Opponent only? After all, we went 4-0 against them.

Instead of ACC v. SEC/B10/ ND make it ACC or ND v. the field...Rick

Your last paragraph says it all. *
by nd67  (2019-12-06 06:49:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Why would the ACC agree to that? *
by bluengold07  (2019-12-05 21:43:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Why would we agree to play 4-5 ACC games a year?
by RJD  (2019-12-06 08:59:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Quid pro quo

You know that answer. *
by ProV1x  (2019-12-07 15:30:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That's way too logical! And it's not just Jack.
by rockmcd  (2019-12-05 15:58:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I remember when they first announced that Orange Bowl tie-in, I had to read it twice because I fully expected it to be exactly how you proposed and it made no goddamned sense that they would build in the potential for rematches of teams we play every 3 years as a feature, not a bug.

I'm not saying that ND deserves it because unless we're ranked #12 we certainly don't, but just looking at it solely from the perspective of the ACC and the Orange Bowl, this would have been the perfect year to bail themselves out of a lopsided and uninteresting matchup by replacing the 2nd place ACC team with ND.

I think they put Rose and Sugar together due to TV deals
by hollownd  (2019-12-05 14:04:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The Rose and Sugar are exclusively locked in to the late afternoon/prime time slots on New Year's Day. This is the same reason why the semi finals aren't played on New Year's Day when it's not the Rose/Sugar rotation.

Which is insane *
by bluengold07  (2019-12-05 21:44:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Great suggestion. And it's actually even worse than that.
by rockmcd  (2019-12-05 13:41:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I don't think you accounted for the automatic bid given to the top non-P5 team. So it's actually 6, 3, and 2 available slots in years 1, 2, and 3.

Indubitably *
by El Kabong  (2019-12-05 15:25:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Don't you simply point out our dilemma?
by BeijingIrish  (2019-12-05 11:33:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That is, either we join a conference and compete like everyone else; or, we resolve to return to glory. Glory every year. 12-0, maybe 11-1, victories in big games, tough schedule, etc.

If I were AD, I'd establish a policy: Either we are invited to play in a NY6 bowl because we deserve to be there; or, we don't go.

Do you think a team ranked #10 deserves a NY6 bowl bid?
by rockmcd  (2019-12-05 14:02:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Take Notre Dame out of the equation and just answer the question.

This year, if Utah and Clemson both make the CFP, then the #10, #11, and #12 teams will not be invited to play in a NY6 bowl. It's going to be the top 9 teams, plus 3-loss Oregon, 4-loss UVA, and probably Memphis.

As for how this impacts ND, if I were AD I'd want to negotiate an arrangement where we get an automatic NY6 invite if we are ranked #12 or higher. Because if there are 6 games, that means 12 teams ("I was told there would be no math"). If you're ranked lower than #12 then you don't deserve it (as is the case this year). If conferences want to get cute and give automatic bids to undeserving teams, then let them take those bids from some other conference team, not ND. If ND is the only team that can't get an automatic bid when we're undeserving, then we shouldn't be locked out in years that basic math indicates that we are deserving.

A nit with your math. There are 16 teams
by ChestnutND  (2019-12-06 03:32:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

involved. The 12 teams selected for the NY6 plus the 4 teams in the playoff. If the system were completely merit based, then the fifth through sixteenth teams would be in the NY6.

The math is correct
by statsdomer  (2019-12-06 07:29:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The top four teams (playoff teams) already take 4 of the 12 NY6 available slots. Thus, the top-12 argument.

I agree with everything you say. *
by BeijingIrish  (2019-12-05 15:29:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I don't agree with that philosophy
by El Kabong  (2019-12-05 11:50:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think trying to recruit into it would be suicidal.

Championships are the goal, no doubt, and I would just as soon ND skip no-count bowls matching up four-loss teams. But you can't abandon the middle tier where decent matchups are still possible.

His suggested approach was de facto 70's approach...
by Scoop80  (2019-12-05 14:23:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

In '71, players voted against a Gator bid v. PSU. '75 team voted against a Cotton bid--Devine's unpopularity w/ Parseghian vets had a lot to do w/ it. There were campus rumors of a minor bowl bid (Astro-Bluebonnet?) declined in '79, but I never heard firm confirmation either way.

Prior to '83 Liberty, ND played in 8 majors and 1 near-major ('76 Gator v. PSU). IIRC, there were a couple of failed team votes before they finally got the seniors to vote to accept that Liberty bid. Half the reason why that bid was pushed was in hopes that it would somehow revive Faust's fortunes.

I'm not sure where I would draw the line--definitely above RU in the Pinstripe, but I'm not sure beyond that. I will recall snickering at the '79 PU game when I saw them bragging about their win in the Peach the preceding year. Such bowls were beneath ND then.

Reality is that ND already lost once in a bowl that Wayne Huizenga invented 2 years after ND's last NC season in an attempt to get the OB to move to his stadium, and ND is likely headed there again this year. That's why the crowing about 3 straight 10 win seasons is offensive.

Are "decent match-ups" a recruiting tool?
by BeijingIrish  (2019-12-05 12:55:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

How about home for the holidays with family and girlfriend?

If I were a player, I'd be enthusiastic about a Sugar Bowl against a SEC team, a Cotton Bowl against Texas. Orange Bowl against someone we hate. But the Pinstripe against BYU? Fuck that.

There's a lot of space between Cotton and Pinstripe, though
by El Kabong  (2019-12-05 15:27:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Playing Texas or Oklahoma?

Someone from the B1G or the SEC?

Which are the middle tier bowls?
by potatohouse  (2019-12-05 12:05:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Are we talking Gator/Citrus/Outback?

Anything with a matchup vs a top-4 finisher in a P5 *
by El Kabong  (2019-12-05 12:26:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

So, respectfully, none of those bowls do much for me.
by potatohouse  (2019-12-05 14:15:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Of course I'll watch an ND bowl game and be excited when they win. But the bowl system, to me, is like the Glengarry Glen Ross sales sweepstakes: it's either the El Dorado or some steak knives. And I just can't get excited about even the nicest of steak knives.

Take this year for instance. We have wins against three teams in the 20-25 range. Chances are, if any of them win their bowl game, they will move into the 16-19 range. That's where LSU ended up after we beat them in the 2018 Citrus Bowl. So we tack on another win that really doesn't mean anything in terms of ranking tier.

I don't really even have much use for the "big" NYD bowls, but I clearly understand their historic prestige. So even though I still consider them a similar brand of also-ran exhibitions, I'd value a setup where we had more access to them at the cost of having less access to fall backs (even at the respectable mid-tier level you describe).

Weren't we supposed to have better bowl opportunities
by SWPaDem  (2019-12-05 11:25:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

with our joining the ACC?

The NM Bowl is a viable option. It's on baby! They got
by abqgant  (2019-12-05 14:09:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

rid of the faux sponsor aka fauxchosponsorus.

Now we're open for business.

C'mon over Irish we can set up an easy win for Brain the Wonder Coach with someone like Nevada or Hawaii.

Btw...Randal Graves post was deleted. I'm disappointed

It was on par with 2Shedsjackson and RagingBull.

It wasn't deleted
by El Kabong  (2019-12-05 16:18:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It was moved to the Wailing Wall where it belonged.

thanks...I want to read it again. It's hilarious and true. *
by abqgant  (2019-12-05 19:03:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm glad someone else saw the Randall Graves post.
by SWPaDem  (2019-12-05 15:17:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It was heartfelt.

To put it mildly *
by abqgant  (2019-12-05 22:43:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Only re: non NY6 bowls *
by bluengold07  (2019-12-05 11:54:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And in that respect it's worked
by gordonbombay  (2019-12-06 11:05:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If not for the ACC tie-in with the Camping World, we'd be looking at an even bleaker position right now. Like, Cheez-It Bowl bleak.

What’s really stupid is that conference runners-up are given
by bluengold07  (2019-12-05 11:24:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Auto bids in lieu of higher ranked at-large selections

2014 - #12 GaTech (Orange)
2015 - #12 Ole Miss and #16 Oklahoma St (Sugar)
2016 - #14 Auburn (Sugar)
2018 - #15 Texas (Sugar)
2019 - Unranked UVA (Orange)

Half these teams had four losses.

Wait a minute UVA is going to the Orange after they lose?
by DakotaDomer  (2019-12-05 11:38:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Has the Orange ever hosted a non-top 25 team that didn't win their conference?

Have they ever hosted a non-top 25 team?

It's going to be funny
by Catdog2  (2019-12-05 12:06:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

when Virginia beats Clemson and all hell breaks loose.

A really weird scenario was when Wake Forest played Clemson
by rockmcd  (2019-12-05 14:23:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

a few weeks ago. Wake Forest actually stood a much better chance of making the Orange Bowl by losing to Clemson than by beating them.

At the time, Wake Forest was 7-2 with both losses coming in conference games. If WF had beaten Clemson, then Clemson would presumably be knocked out of the CFP race but still would have won their division with only 1 loss, and would then go to the Orange Bowl after beating UVA in the title game. Assuming a Utah win over Oregon in tomorrow night's game, WF would probably need to be ranked #10 to make a NY6 bowl, which is doubtful.

But by losing that game, all WF had to do was win their last 2 games to finish 9-3, which would have probably landed them in the top 25, ahead of the eventual ACC title game loser who will probably finish unranked at 9-4. As it turned out, Wake lost their final game in overtime to Syracuse. But had they finished 9-3, I think they would have gone to the Orange Bowl.

You meant WF was 7-2 but your point is great *
by nd67  (2019-12-06 07:13:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Thanks. Corrected. *
by rockmcd  (2019-12-06 17:36:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think we need to fix the OB contract with the ACC
by DakotaDomer  (2019-12-05 16:39:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It needs to say ACC winner or if the ACC winner is in CFP it's the highest ranked ACC team including NOtre Dame.

Or we can walk away from 5 games a year with those assholes.

Agree *
by ChestnutND  (2019-12-06 03:38:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

28.5 point underdog
by DakotaDomer  (2019-12-05 12:43:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Seems generous - that’s where I’d put the spread of we we’re playing Clemson

For all hell to break loose
by Tex Francisco  (2019-12-05 12:29:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

LSU and Ohio State need to lose. It's not impossible to envision a scenario of (1) undefeated Clemson, (2) SEC champ UGA, (3) 1-loss Ohio State, (4) 1-loss LSU, (5 and 6) Pac 12 Champ Utah and Big 12 Champ OU/Baylor. That would probably be the correct ranking for those 6 teams, but it'd be a nightmare scenario having two out of the top four getting in after losing their conference championship games.

Some have said that Clemson, OSU, and LSU are already in
by G.K.Chesterton  (2019-12-05 15:05:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

even if they lose.

That’d be a great scenario for ND. I’m rooting for it. *
by tdiddy07  (2019-12-05 13:59:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Yes. *
by Irish96  (2019-12-05 11:57:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post