Kelly was on with Scott Van Pelt.
by TWO (2020-03-26 09:13:06)

Said the players will need a min of a month of conditioning before they can start fall camp. Said July 1 was the target, if you want to start fall camp in August.

The 4 weeks is a min, said trainers/S&C/Medical probably would like 6 weeks.

Certainly puts into question whether or not fall camp can start in early August and if it can't then early season games likely will be lost.

He didn't say it but I wonder if we are looking at a 9 or 10 game season at best

Every team is in the same situation.
by chsfb75  (2020-03-27 13:29:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Every team is not going to be in top shape and need to use their depth more. They won't have time for a full install of their offense and defense likely, either.

I don't get it.

What about special teams?
by skeptic  (2020-03-29 11:25:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Oh, wait...

Full season
by toronto parent  (2020-03-27 13:12:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Assuming current steps work - all OK. If they don't then a decision (my guess is June 1 but all guesses are usually wrong) will have to be made to get country back up and running and live with virus.
The cost to stay closed will be too large vs risk.
Hopefully a vaccine will help solve it in a year or two - or maybe a drug treatment (unlikely, as we still have flu and colds)
We live with car deaths (and don't reduce speed limits) and other risks such as flu deaths. In past centuries we had pandemic issues (I know not a great scene), so this could simply be an ugly reality going forward.

With no spring practices
by Groundhog  (2020-03-26 23:23:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'd bet the NCAA will allow teams to start earlier than normal.

That haircut though
by goirish89  (2020-03-26 23:17:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He looks like Dennis the Menace.

Why can't players condition on their own? *
by jbrown_9999  (2020-03-26 13:39:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Gyms closed, some under shelter at home rules, would need
by btd  (2020-03-27 15:39:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

to own their own equipment inside their house to be able to workout in any capacity. At best a fraction of the team can do some form of legitimate daily exercise and weight training.

Can’t run outside? Do push-ups?
by squid  (2020-03-28 08:45:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

In any capacity?

There's some liability aspect to it as well.
by No Right Turn on Red  (2020-03-28 22:58:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

These conditioning workouts are intense; there's the story from USC a few years ago of a student-athlete dropping a barbell on his neck. Add to that no access to your athletic trainers or direct contact with your strength coach who can make adjustments needed to account for injury (for example, someone has a sore shoulder, how do they adjust lifting). Absolute worst case is a kid drops, needing CPR or an AED during a workout, with no one near by.

These conditioning sessions aren't your typical head to the gym and run a bit on the treadmill thing suburbanites do.

Seriously. Tell Rocky Balboa he can’t train without a gym.
by ndzippy  (2020-03-28 08:54:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You vill lose.

Not anywhere close to normal *
by weirdo0521  (2020-03-26 13:56:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm sure most are doing the best they can..
by TWO  (2020-03-26 13:52:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

but it pales in comparison to what they would have been doing if they were still on campus with access to the facilities at the Gug and the S&C staff to monitor and assist.

Gyms are closed, they may or may not have weights at home and we'd be relying on self motivation which is likely variable in a large group of players at home.

I would imagine that some of the gains achieved during winter workouts might already be slipping away.

edit: for sure this is a problem facing all the teams not just the Irish.

also nutrition during a Pandemic *
by Athlete37  (2020-03-26 15:25:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

these aren't things that will affect the season starting
by jt  (2020-03-28 22:31:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I mean, it sucks not being able to lift and eat right but they can still play ball and catch up. Everyone will be in the same boat, and everyone will face the same challenges.

hopefully they don't suffer any pulled groins
by jt  (2020-03-26 14:18:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

that has been known to knock a few of our players out for months at a time, and it makes it completely impossible to eat right, train, or maintain weight (none of which would be Kelly or S/C staff fault).

Next two months will give a more realistic outlook on season
by Frank Drebin  (2020-03-26 11:28:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I remain doubtful that there will be a NFL or College season this year

I'd be surprised if D1 teams don't play a full season
by jt  (2020-03-26 11:06:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

so much money involved with TV contracts, etc. and truthfully a long enough delay between the end of the season and most bowl games that you have at least 2-3 weeks of dead time to fill in games.

Not a full season with 1918 flu
by quasimodo  (2020-03-27 15:47:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The Rock had a shorter schedule his first year. Oct was mostly or all cancelled. With the travel bans, we played some weird semi-local teams.

but as you say, the $$$ now are so enormous they will do their best to get some sort of a season going even if a half assed version.

we'll have a better idea how they will approach it as baseball season get stalled.

Q

jt post
by Irishgruff  (2020-03-26 16:47:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

believe it or not Players still have to study and stop with the Football for awhile....Please think about that GEZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

gruffypost
by jt  (2020-03-26 18:54:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

suuuuuuuuuuuuccccccccccccccccccccccckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkks

This new feud...
by DawsonMayes871  (2020-03-27 00:19:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

rocks. There going to right about it someday.

Maybe they should have 'left' it in the other thread *
by jbrown_9999  (2020-03-27 10:07:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

just in case there is any confusion
by jt  (2020-03-27 12:21:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I don't have an issue with gruffy.

I think it's kind of funny and it's good to have something to joke about during relatively serious times.

JT, I was just joking along
by jbrown_9999  (2020-03-27 12:41:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and wanted to use the word 'left' since the previous post used 'right' instead of 'write'.

Do you think
by goirish89  (2020-03-26 23:15:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That guy knows what an asshole he is?

goirish89 post
by garbageplate  (2020-03-27 09:51:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I find him unintentionally hilarious.

I can see that
by goirish89  (2020-03-27 12:34:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It is probably better to look at it that way.

What are the 'Niners doing along the DL? Both...
by Slotts  (2020-03-26 11:37:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Buckner and Day now with the Colts.

I don't like the Buckner move
by jt  (2020-03-26 11:58:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I would have let Armstead walk.

With that said, they wanted to recoup draft capital and they knew that Buckner was the only way to do it. Signing Armstead allows them to keep a lot of the DL in place.

Day was just a guy, to be honest. He wouldn't have started without so many injuries, and he isn't a nose guard he's a DT. DJ is going to be back hopefully and they'll sign another guy for depth. Need to start getting some thing out of Thomas.

Ford hopefully will play more this year (only 20% of snaps last year) and Armstead can drop inside in pass rush/sub package.

I did and so did Mookie
by HTownND  (2020-03-28 10:41:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Wait, wrong board

it really screwed up the Chiefs
by irishrock  (2020-03-26 22:14:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They were perfectly happy to trade away Chris Jones (we franchised...cant afford him though he's a helluva talent) for a 2nd round pick like they did with Dee Ford last year. Now that the 49'ers got the 13th pick, people will go apeshit if we don't get a first rounder.

I think the 49'ers had to be thrilled to get a draft pick that high. Shocking they pulled it off, really. Good for them.

I think the stanford kid will move inside and start.
by 84david  (2020-03-26 13:25:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Name escapes me.Solomon?

I don't really think he's all that good though

you guys are on the same page
by oggie  (2020-03-26 14:05:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Solomon Thomas

except he's not going to start, most likely
by jt  (2020-03-26 14:16:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

he'll be a sub package guy. Too small (256 pounds) to start at ng or dt and too ineffective (prior two years) at heavier weight.

256?
by oggie  (2020-03-26 14:31:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Jeez. He should be able to move at that weight. He's never going to play up to his draft spot. Big miss.

huge miss, and so was Foster (Alabama for "jackass") *
by jt  (2020-03-26 15:15:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Can you discuss Buckner
by meatwhistle  (2020-03-26 12:44:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And what he'll bring to the Colts?

great player
by jt  (2020-03-26 14:17:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

top 5 DT in the NFL. Not as good as Aaron Donald, but that's about it.

he's dominant like Tillery but at the NFL level
by oggie  (2020-03-26 14:06:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Can stuff the run, take on doubles and even generate a pass rush from an inside position.

It will certainly be a scheduling nightmare.
by TWO  (2020-03-26 11:29:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Lets say, that the start of the season is only pushed back 2 weeks.

What would they do with those 2 games? Add them on to the end of the season? Push every game back 2 weeks so that say our game Oct 3rd at Lambeau is now Oct 17th at Lambeau. Season ending game at USC is Dec 12th instead of Nov 28th?

Add the two games to the end of the season so that instead of finishing with USC on Nov 28th we'd have Navy on Dec 5th and Arkansas on Dec 12th.

It won't be easy no matter what the NCAA decides to do. I'm still thinking that cancellation of games is most likely and remaining games to be played as scheduled.

cancelling games = lost money
by jt  (2020-03-26 12:00:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the NCAA doesn't like to absorb losses.

Because it's amateur sports, of course.

2d sentence out of his mouth: “30 years of being a head
by 1NDGal  (2020-03-26 10:57:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

football coach.” His career tenure is so oddly important to him.

He looks pretty svelt. And he seems pretty even-keeled. Good for him.

The banner at the bottom: 92-37 in 10 years. I mean, ew.

Pot meet Kettle *
by okerland  (2020-03-26 14:56:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Ok *
by 1NDGal  (2020-03-26 17:34:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think Jenkins will cancel the season
by johnnysalami  (2020-03-26 10:42:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You know, to be so so progressive, and to protect the players and fans, and aw shucks- it is just the right thing to do.

Just another way to de-emphasize football and promote Our Lady's University as a school for the elite and wealthy.