Has a ND QB transfer ever been any good?
by Leeroy_Jenkins (2020-08-04 17:05:18)

In reply to: If the BC line can contain JOK, Phil could decimate ND.  posted by 1NDGal

Most kids who transfer due to playing time find it's really hard to start at other schools too.

Jake Kelchner went undefeated at West Virginia
by Otter  (2020-08-05 09:22:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He was giving Rick Mirer legit competition for the starting job after Tony Rice graduated. His collarbone was broken in the Blue-Gold game and he never got another chance at the job.

He had a pretty good senior season as QB at West Virginia, including an upset of the Miami Hurricanes with a last minute TD pass. Played in the CFL for a bit I think.

He played 1 game in the CFL and some in the Arena
by Slotts  (2020-08-05 09:27:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Football League over 3 seasons.

by Moff  (2020-08-05 10:16:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

In the NFL, no.
by Milhouse  (2020-08-05 19:51:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He did play briefly in the CFL and then in the WLAF for a while. I remember seeing an interview with a European fan who was asked why he liked the Barcelona Dragons, and he responded that he liked them because of Tony Rice and Notre Dame.

True. What am I missing, not sure how that fits
by Slotts  (2020-08-05 10:48:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

into a factoid about Jake Kelchner?

by Moff  (2020-08-05 10:59:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

No, not at all. Just setting the record straight and also
by Slotts  (2020-08-05 11:08:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I always followed Kelchner and Powlus closer than most as they grew up in the town next to mine.

George Curry rolled out a lot of talent in those days *
by coalcracker  (2020-08-05 12:29:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That's for sure. *
by Slotts  (2020-08-05 12:37:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

by Moff  (2020-08-05 11:15:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I wish we still had that wealth. *
by Slotts  (2020-08-05 13:01:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Why would Kelly recruit a running back?
by graNDfan  (2020-08-05 18:28:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They just take up a spot that an “athlete” needs

Kent Graham? *
by Raristotle  (2020-08-04 22:56:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Not Kelly as coach. He ruins every one he touches *
by goirish89  (2020-08-04 22:25:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Many not so good. Wimbush, Zaire,
by Homeboy73  (2020-08-04 20:52:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

LoVecchio(?!), Keil, Crist, the pre-med fellow, Golson, etc. have not done so well after transferring. It’s a much longer list...

Zak Kustok was pretty good at NW *
by DBCooper  (2020-08-04 17:51:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Was Zach Fraser any good? *
by Smokin_Clover  (2020-08-04 17:38:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He beat us *
by RJD  (2020-08-06 16:05:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

This close to Burrow maybe isn't the best time to bring that
by bleedsgreen04  (2020-08-04 17:15:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

last point up. Jalen Hurts did pretty darn well for himself too, in my opinion.

Also, one thing that might make a difference here for Phil Jurkovec is he has had less time for Kelly to mess him up compared to the others.

But I do agree that 1 year, particularly as wonky as this one has no doubt been with spring and fall, probably isn't enough time to get PJ looking like Burrows out there.

I suspect he'll look great against ND on some plays, and terrible on most others. I hope long term though he'll be good just for his own sake.