you can take this quote
by jt (2020-09-16 13:12:42)

In reply to: Our QB progression speaks for itself  posted by BmoreIrish

“I was going to eventually play at Notre Dame. I wasn’t going to go my whole career and not play,” Jurkovec said. “But really, the main reason why I left was the frustration of not progressing. I knew coming out of high school, I needed to go somewhere and develop. I thought Notre Dame was the place. I think I developed in a lot of ways. But in quarterback play, I think I regressed in certain areas over time. It was incredibly frustrating. ... At times, it got to the point where I could not even throw the ball at all. My footwork was all jacked up.

and if you didn't know that he said it and just asked people "which former ND qb said this?" and then gave a list of qb's under Kelly, you could easily point to at least 4 or 5 potential candidates. Dayne Crist, Everett Golson, Malik Zaire, Deshone Kizer, etc.

And the fact that none of these guys made it anywhere else (often pointed to by the homer brigade) isn't really proof of anything; it takes time to completely re-work mechanics, regain confidence, and be re-taught everything that was installed incorrectly. Some guys just run out of time.

Side note for jt
by Hanratty5ND  (2020-09-16 15:58:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Just heard that QB Dylan McCaffrey is opting out and transferring from Michigan.

Just wondering where you think he will end up or if you've heard anything? It seems like he never got a real fair shot at Michigan. Maybe somewhat akin to Jurkovec at ND.

sort of a hijack.
by TWO  (2020-09-16 17:25:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

but they were talking about McCaffrey transfering on ESPNU and they got talking about how everybody thought that Harbaugh was going to be a QB developing machine at Michigan, but so far he hasn't developed squat and has run through a ton of QB's in the process.

Greg McElroy specifically talked about Dylan and said that in his time at Michigan he never improved as a QB. Very athletic kid but not a good thrower and Harbaugh hadn't developed him in that phase of the game.

switched systems
by jt  (2020-09-16 21:59:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

that was a mistake, IMO.

I would guess University of Northern CO
by jt  (2020-09-16 16:00:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

that's where his dad is coaching.

Shouldn't he aim higher?
by Jvan  (2020-09-16 18:00:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I would think Stanford might be interested, among others.

Probably should
by jt  (2020-09-16 19:57:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Part of my opinion has to do with my opinion of his dad.

I would think he would try to hook up with an elite program
by ACross  (2020-09-16 21:47:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Clemson, LSU, Oklahoma, Bama. Even USC or Wisconsin.

we'll see
by jt  (2020-09-16 22:00:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

you guys might be right.

Michigan’s offense is as much of a train wreck as ours
by ACross  (2020-09-16 22:43:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Since Harbaugh went to the candy assed spread.

just a terrible decision on his part
by jt  (2020-09-17 10:06:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

no idea what he was thinking.

Thanks
by Hanratty5ND  (2020-09-16 16:16:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He worried me more when he entered the game vs ND in 2018 than the starter.

I thought he would eventually be the starter there, but it never materialized

from what I remember seeing of him briefly when we played
by NH74Domer  (2020-09-16 16:07:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

UM he looked to have a ton of potential

I just don't know how anybody can argue the point anymore *
by ACross  (2020-09-16 15:11:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Oh, you wouldn't think so
by jt  (2020-09-16 16:01:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

but yet never underestimate the powers of denial of the Notre Dame homer.

I dont know if ND homerism is the proper diagnosis *
by ACross  (2020-09-16 16:59:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Must we subscribe to your Patreon to get your diagnosis? *
by Irish Tool  (2020-09-16 19:59:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Also, Golson improved at FSU.
by tdiddy07  (2020-09-16 14:47:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He became notably more accurate without sacrificing YPA and his TD/INT ratio was better. But he missed time in the middle of the season with a concussion, took a few weeks to get back in and then lost his job to Maguire with 9 throws against NC State.

5-6 QBs hardly makes it a trend, jt. *
by Revue Party  (2020-09-16 14:35:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Not sure which 5-6 the ones that left or the ones that didnt
by OITLinebacker  (2020-09-16 14:47:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They were all failures in some sense of the word. Namely, that they couldn't lead an ND team to win a big game vs a top tier opponent (@oklahoma being something doesn't prove that much in the ned). So is it that the ND coaches recruited flawed QB's that were never any good or was it good QB's that didn't have good coaching? Highly or lightly recruited QB's all seem to end out the same way. So either the coaching staff are crap at evaluation talent or they are crap at teaching the talent or perhaps both?

Practice does not make perfect
by Buck Turgidson  (2020-09-16 14:02:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It makes permanent. I'm not sure who first said this, but it applies perfectly to Notre Dame quarterbacks under Kelly. If you repeatedly practice a flawed procedure then permanent habits form. These can be difficult to nearly impossible to break.

I've heard "Practice doesn't make perfect."
by NDBass  (2020-09-16 15:26:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

"Perfect practice makes perfect." Same concept.

cliches abound
by jt  (2020-09-16 15:27:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I've heard "perfect practice prevents piss poor performance."

That was from former coach Chuck "Hard" Knox. As old school as it would get.

When your AD is more experienced ...
by CJC  (2020-09-16 13:26:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

at how to develop a plan to avoid civil liability for sexual assaults and negligent homicide than your head coach is at developing NFL quarterbacks, you get what you get.

Our AD is a man of many talents...
by Scoop80  (2020-09-16 14:15:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He's a Dick Addis-class weather forecaster. He can hair split on the WSJ op-ed page in a way befitting of his Stanford Law degree. He can quietly slide ND FB into a short-term conference affiliation that shows all outward signs of becoming a long-term commitment. He can turn ND stadium into a fully carpeted full-service network TV infomercial venue. He can pimp the brand in ways that us mere mortals have never dreamed of.

You don't tug on Superman's cape, you don't spit into the wind, you don't pull the mask off the ol' Lone Ranger and you don't mess around w/ him.

I hope to live long enough to piss on his grave *
by nd71  (2020-09-16 14:39:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He won't be around much longer.
by Wooderson  (2020-09-16 19:40:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'll leave it at that.

You're such a tease! *
by SWPaDem  (2020-09-17 07:10:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Get in line, nd71! *
by SWPaDem  (2020-09-16 14:52:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

While us like minded folks are all gathered together
by Sorin107  (2020-09-16 18:14:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Does anyone have any thoughts about how we could get rid of Savvy Jack? I sent a letter to the board of fellows back in 2016 about how because of him I would not donate to the university, go to any FB games, etc. Should we all commit to new letters? Petition? Embed articles into the Observer? Find an influencer with a similar mentality? Or just keep hating the situation?

As long as Jenkins is around, so will be Savvy.
by SWPaDem  (2020-09-16 18:26:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They share a vision. Of what, I'm not sure.

by Moff  (2020-09-16 14:42:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That fee will double on gameday weekends
by LateNiteNaugles  (2020-09-16 16:45:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Full value for the brand