I guess I wasn't clear
by jt (2020-09-18 21:29:01)

In reply to: Or maybe it was safe all along  posted by garbageplate

that was certainly a possibility, as is the possibility that it isn't really safe but if everyone else is doing it and we stand to lose a lot of money, oh well, too bad for the athletes.

It’s not like we know more now than a few months ago
by NavyJoe  (2020-09-18 21:31:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Nothing has changed in the Big-10 since they made their decision except for the successful launch of the ACC + Notre Dame last weekend.

I don’t think that that the “successful launch” played a rol *
by ACross  (2020-09-18 23:31:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Successful launch may be overstating it, but consider...
by NavyJoe  (2020-09-19 01:06:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...there are three areas of the country that care more about college football than anything else: the south, Texas, and the Midwest.

The South and Texas are playing, the Midwest is not (except for ND). The majority of the states / constituents within the Midwest states want college football to be played (right, wrong, or otherwise).

I absolutely believe that ND playing (it was the highest rated game in a week of bad options) sticks in the craw of UM, OSU, Iowa, Nebraska, etc. Half of those schools were wanting to play anyway, consequences be damned.

Of course it did. *
by 1NDGal  (2020-09-19 00:17:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Our game was a ratings bonanza
by ACross  (2020-09-19 00:22:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Not to mention a showcase.

Nobody watched.

Tune in tomorrow to our game on the O Network. Or is it the Spice Channel? I know you will. Because nothing else is going on in your life.

Nobody watched? Highest rated afternoon opener since '06
by ribs  (2020-09-19 08:32:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Most viewers of any college football game of the (diluted) weekend. No doubt more a result of pent up demand for college football than quality of play or the matchup itself. But:

"It was the most-viewed Notre Dame afternoon home opener since the Irish last welcomed Penn State to South Bend way back in 2006. It’s also the most-viewed Notre Dame home contest since the Fighting Irish battled Michigan in primetime to kickoff the 2018 season."

Only two opener games were against anyone of note
by 88_92WSND  (2020-09-19 11:26:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Texas and Michigan (and those were both prime time). So the afternoon opener list of teams is:
Temple twice,
Rice,
Nevada twice,
Purdue twice,
San Diego State,
New MExico,
South Florida.

No doubt. But ND-Duke drew 4.4M viewers.
by ribs  (2020-09-19 11:56:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

By any measure, that's a very good number. It was the most-viewed game of the weekend. Yes, there were far fewer options than normal, and yes, the pent up demand was a massive contributor too, but that would apply to all games. To say "nobody watched" is undeniably inaccurate.

For context, ND-USC last year on NBC had 3.1m viewers, in prime time. Most ND NBC games are between 1.5m-2.5m viewers.

When there is more competition, most non ND games
by 88_92WSND  (2020-09-19 13:45:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

average 6 million. With nothing else going on, there were fewer viewers of the only real game on at the time than there were for a normal game when eyeballs are divided 3 or 4 ways.
Using the 'tallest midget' of comparison with the SD State line up is Pinkel worthy

Forgive me, not sure the point you are trying to make
by ribs  (2020-09-19 14:36:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If it's that "nobody watched" the Notre Dame-Duke game, you are objectively wrong. The audience was obviously unusually large, for any ND game on NBC.

If your point is something else, you might be right, I have no idea.

Good information. Thanks. I can see why USA Network
by Raoul  (2020-09-19 12:24:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

gladly picked it up.

Our openers are usually dogs *
by ACross  (2020-09-19 10:38:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

While perhaps not new, it seems clearer now that this
by NDTwice  (2020-09-18 23:13:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Virus is a discriminating one, being a serious health threat to older folks like myself and to those with notable existing health conditions and really a minor threat to younger age groups.

I think we know plenty
by garbageplate  (2020-09-18 21:32:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The rate of hospitalizations on college campuses (0.0%), in particular, is relevant to the decision whether to play.

Looks like you get your data from Fox *
by ACross  (2020-09-19 01:07:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Yeah, on Hannity while making a homemade MAGA lawn sign
by garbageplate  (2020-09-19 09:04:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Given your affinity for sharing stories of partying and frivolity from your college days, it’s a good thing that you went to ND when you did. I can only imagine you on campus today: wearing a mask at all hours of the day, living in fear, probably snitching on other students.

You meathead *
by ACross  (2020-09-19 11:24:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We had enough data on that already
by NavyJoe  (2020-09-19 00:50:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The hospitalization rate of teens and young adults was well understood by early summer.

It developed a little as people began to ignore distancing
by ACross  (2020-09-19 01:03:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The science is not static.

We already knew that but ok *
by airborneirish  (2020-09-19 00:19:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The new test that gives results in 15 minutes. *
by FrMiceli  (2020-09-18 22:32:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post