Yeah, I think that's a nice thought
by jt (2021-01-28 21:30:20)
Edited on 2021-01-28 21:33:48

In reply to: I envision the meathead schools going their own way  posted by ACross

I think that these guys are going after the money.

edit: I think that this could have been worked out the way you suggest about a decade/decade and a half ago when the conferences started splitting up and realigning and we were "monitoring the landscape" instead of leading.

I would doubt that Miami would choose differently, same with Michigan. Michigan was paying Harbaugh (all sources) close to 15 million per year and separating from major TV contracts would be tough for them (and they're whores anyway).

If solid leadership is in play for an alternative, I would imagine that it could work out as you describe. None of the schools that you describe as staying strike me as strong leaders, especially the basketball schools of the ACC.

As to the ACC, I would guess that would depend a bit on basketball. They'll try and get the best TV contracts, and a lot of those schools would hesitate to not go with them.

From what I understand as of now, it is the Power 5 plus Notre Dame on a "fact finding mission" as to how this will play out with name, image and likeness.

Name likeness and image is not the primary revenue driver
by ACross  (2021-01-28 21:40:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And the network model is collapsing of its own weight.

No, it's not
by jt  (2021-01-29 00:28:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

but the different state laws are going to start taking effect this summer and certain power 5 schools are worried that they will be at a recruiting disadvantage and are disappointed that the NCAA can't come up with something.

Congress could resolve that
by tf86  (2021-01-29 09:46:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

By creating a federal NIL statute that would preempt state law. Both NIL and intercollegiate athletics touch on interstate commerce, so it's clearly within their power to do so. I'm not sure they would be inclined to do so, but it also seems to me that perhaps leveling the playing field is a compelling governmental interest. And while I'm aware that Congress has more pressing matters than intercollegiate athletics, this wouldn't be the first time they entered that particular area. See, e.g., Title IX.

Yes, I agree
by jt  (2021-01-29 10:38:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But time is of the essence and they might not get to it before the state laws go into effect. The NCAA could also have their own rules, but they're punting, at least now.