More news from the ACC meetings with quotes from Savvy Jack
by ryND (2022-05-12 13:11:38)
Edited on 2022-05-12 13:12:29

@ADavidHaleJoint
56m
This week's ACC spring meetings covered some hot topics -- from NIL and tampering enforcement to the new scheduling plans, but with a B1G TV deal valued at more than $1.1B coming soon, it all felt a bit like arranging deck chairs on the Titanic. A quick ?.
??️️?

@ADavidHaleJoint
55m
@ByPatForde
talked w/Jack Swarbrick a few weeks back in which the ND AD speculated on seismic changes coming: "We're going to have these 2 conf that have distanced themselves from anyone else financially, that's where I see it starting to break down."
si.com
Notre Dame AD Swarbrick Sees Division I Breakup as ‘Inevitable’
Wholesale change is unavoidable in college athletics. The Fighting Irish athletic director thinks a total realignment of Division I is coming with it.
??️️?

@ADavidHaleJoint
54m
Swarbrick spoke today and reiterated that concern: "We're getting to a two solar system model here. You have two suns with all the gravitational pull -- the Big Ten and the SEC. People are going to have to figure out how to align with one or the other.”
??️️?

@ADavidHaleJoint
53m
Swarbrick didn't make guarantees -- "possible but not inevitable" — but said there are "fissures" that creating the lines of demarcation: Football/men's basketball investment & success; philosophy/culture; finances. You can see those on display just in the ACC.
??️️?

@ADavidHaleJoint
53m
Miami AD Dan Radakovich basically endorsed Swarbrick's prediction, too: "The idea of having like-minded schools pull together and do something different, I know Jack talked about it as being inevitable, I don't know that I disagree with that. It's just what the timeline is."
??️️?

@ADavidHaleJoint
52m
What is the timeline? Several folks I talked to think a break from the NCAA is coming soon - maybe within the next 6-12 months. Gene Smith's suggestion about allowing the CFP to govern is a big part of that discussion. But what about something more seismic like super conferences?
??️️?

@ADavidHaleJoint
50m
Jim Phillips said the time was now to investigate new arrangements for football but tried to tamp down concerns about super conference-type change: "I don't see that happening right now or over the next 5-10 years. I just don’t."
??️️?

@ADavidHaleJoint
49m
The trump card for Phillips is the ACC’s grant of rights, which runs through 2036 and would prevent any departing schools from keeping their media rights in a new league. It’s been a shield for the league in the wake of last summer’s Okla/Texas moves but it won’t always be.
??️️?

@ADavidHaleJoint
Each year that passes, the relative cost of the GoR goes down, while the relative revenue losses compared w/SEC & B1G goes up. Given state of NIL & pay-for-play, for football-focused schools like Miami, Clemson & FSU, that’s a potentially existential concern in the long term.
9:11 AM · May 12, 2022·TweetDeck

Replies: