Whoa...who's the bowl quarterback? *
by NavyJoe (2022-12-02 13:35:49)
Edited on 2022-12-02 13:36:29

In reply to: Drew Pyne transferring (link)  posted by mocopdx

This user did not provide content for this post

Mitchell Evans *
by Tjmcfly  (2022-12-02 13:47:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Gary Godsey approves this message *
by NDLAW88  (2022-12-02 15:51:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Triple option
by ram  (2022-12-02 15:10:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Estime at FB
Diggs & Tyree at HB

I laughed *
by TheCouncil  (2022-12-02 14:11:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Buchner *
by garbageplate  (2022-12-02 13:37:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If true, Pyne should walk
by localirishfan  (2022-12-02 13:47:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

What a kick in the dick that would be. You step in and do the best you possibly can, finish strong nationally in areas such as passing efficiency, only to give up your spot to the QB that has been out almost all year with an injury that wasn't all that impressive when he was starting. Part of me doubts Buchner will be ready, but that would be the ultimate nut punch

That’s not it at all
by Jvan  (2022-12-02 17:27:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Pyne would have started the bowl game. If Buchner was healthy enough to play, he would do so in a more limited fashion. Now it appears Buchner will have to start and play a lot. I hope he is up to it.

My sense is Pyne elected to leave because he wants to play next year and was told ND is looking for a veteran in the portal. He saw the writing on the wall.

The bowl is meaningless. Next year is all that matters.
by Raoul  (2022-12-02 14:28:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Play the players who can help you. I don't want to see Houston Griffith on the field, for example. It is a new world.

We shouldn’t assume the remaining qbs dont feel slighted
by Nathan  (2022-12-02 14:08:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

At the way position is headed. If a transfer is being recruited, ostensibly with a promise of starting, I would expect all the others are reading the same tea leaves. In the NFL, contracts are negotiated between the players agent, and the general manager, at the terms of termination,arer in the contract. In college Recruitment is based on the word of the coaches to the players family. There was never any way a transfer could come in without pushing out the one or two quarterbacks with the least amount of eligibility remaining. Although I don’t follow other teams, I’m not aware of any time a transfer was brought in to replace a returning starter except when there was a coaching change. That’s why I think all the quarterbacks currently on the roster have to wonder if the coach recruited them has given up on them. And losing Pine we will lose three years of eligibility, and at least three more years of eligibility if another one of our quarterbacks transfers and what we will gain is one, possibly two years of eligibility in a grad transfer or transfer. If it’s a one year transfer, this guarantees that we will start the following season with an inexperienced quarterback, just like we did this year.

I hope the whole room doesn’t flip over just for another Jack Coan.

South Carolina sorta had that situation
by tf86  (2022-12-02 15:01:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Luke Doty was the starting QB early in 2021 before being lost to a season-ending injury. Zeb Noland (who had come to South Carolina as a grad. assistant, before being returned to the roster) and Jason Brown split time as starting QB the rest of the way.

This year, of course, South Carolina brought in Spencer Rattler. Noland returned to the coaching staff and Brown transferred to Virginia Tech. Doty is still on the roster, however. This is Shane Beamer's second season as head coach at South Carolina. Until looking it up, I didn't realize that Beamer had come from Oklahoma as an assistant. That accounts for his relationship with Rattler.

How about the receivers?
by cabnd00  (2022-12-02 14:30:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I would think they feel slighted that the ND QBs couldn't get them the ball. We've got some talented receivers coming in, I have to think there's negative recruiting against ND with receivers based on our QB situation.

Pyne was the starter by default.
by cujays96  (2022-12-02 14:23:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He did not win the job.

My bigger point was that the other qbs likely feel the same *
by Nathan  (2022-12-02 14:37:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and maybe that's a positive, in terms of competitive sports. *
by MrE  (2022-12-02 14:43:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Yes and no
by Nathan  (2022-12-02 15:10:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

In the portal era, it’s easy to just leave. What we’ll be getting is probably someone who is doing just that. And the risk is that we go into 2024 with no experienced qb. I’m curious how many more wins someone like Card gets us. I don’t see us competing for a title next ‘em year regardless.

Removing low performers is a necessity for leaders.
by MrE  (2022-12-02 15:33:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And I’m assuming Freeman laid out the plan to bring in a starter to Pyne and did not just push Pyne out the door.

It would be malpractice on Freeman's part to assess the QB situation for 2023 and not make a move in free agency. Even if ND isn’t a championship-caliber team in 2023, the head coach needs to achieve the best results possible within reason and ethics.

He's a 5-11 QB with limited mobility and arm strength who
by Carlos Huerta  (2022-12-02 14:22:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

was playing high school football in New Canaan, CT a few years ago. That he got to basically be the starting QB at Notre Dame for a season is a pretty good result for him. It would be nice if he stuck around to be an insurance policy for us, but it is no slight for a program that supposedly has championship aspirations to be looking for much more out of a starting QB then he can provide. If Freeman watched this season and concluded that Pyne is the guy going forward he wouldn't be worthy of his job.

"5-11" *
by cujays96  (2022-12-02 14:24:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Exactly. If Pyne got a taste of starting and decided that's
by Carlos Huerta  (2022-12-02 14:27:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

his priority going forward he made a smart decision and I wish him well.

If he's smart, he's go to the FCS. *
by Raoul  (2022-12-02 14:53:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think he's better than that
by TheRC  (2022-12-02 15:23:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The very top of the FCS might be better than Pyne, but by the same token the Top FCS QBs are also likely better than the FBS Mid-Majors, and some of the FBS Power 5 starters, if we are using the NFL draft as a barometer of QB talent.

Pyne will have plenty of FBS suitors, several of whom he can lead to a winning record.

Clearly he does not have the physical tools of a 4-star QB but it is curious that not just ND and the recruiting services were in error in their assessment.

His performance against USC was comparable to UCLA's QB without the benefit of a USC turnover.

So while Pyne may have benefitted from the other ND talent around him, he also faced a detriment in the offensive scheme under which he operated.

By the quotes, I mean he is not 4" taller than Estime who is
by cujays96  (2022-12-02 14:51:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

listed at 5'7".

Estime is 5’11 1/2, not 5’7”, per roster. *
by Homeboy73  (2022-12-02 16:40:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Yeah I was agreeing they had to lie to get him to 5-11. *
by Carlos Huerta  (2022-12-02 15:48:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Do you feel the same way about all other positions? *
by MrE  (2022-12-02 14:11:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Not if it’s a position with rotation
by Nathan  (2022-12-02 14:18:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think you can see the difference between vyper, where we need 3 guys every game l, and qb. The other times we recruited transfers were when we literally didn’t have enough players at the position, and/or a starter was leaving.

Do you know of a time when a team brought in a transfer qb to replace a starter when there was not a coaching change?

I think Freeman is the head coach and did not recruit anyone
by MrE  (2022-12-02 14:40:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

other than Minchey.

He delegated decision-making on QBs and thus, accountability for this year's QB performance to Rees, who chose Buchner as his starter, likely with agreement from Freeman.

Freeman has made his assessment and feels the QB group needs strengthening from outside, similar to how other positional players are made to feel about being buried on the depth chart when Joseph, Grupe, Skowronek et al are brought in.

I'm not saying it's a great thing, but it is - and will continue to be - SOP at ND.

Agreed. He’s outplayed Buchner in every single game they
by Sorin107  (2022-12-02 13:52:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Both played in appreciable time in (Cinci, Wisc, Marshall)

Buchner never had a running game to work with
by Camarillo Brillo  (2022-12-02 15:23:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If he plays in the bowl game he will most likely have Estime and Diggs at full strength with a much improved O-line (USC game not withstanding). It would be interesting to see how Tyler would perform when he is not the only runner to worry about. We may be surprised.

I bet we’re not
by acrossdmiddle  (2022-12-02 15:43:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Part of the reason we didn’t have a running game with Buchner was that no one respected his ability to pass. Pyne was by far the better passer.

Well, that and the fact that the offensive line was
by Camarillo Brillo  (2022-12-02 16:56:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

a hot mess in the first few games.

Likely won’t have Mayer. It may be rough. *
by MrE  (2022-12-02 15:41:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think gp is saying with Pyne gone Buchner will start
by DBCooper  (2022-12-02 13:49:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

if he is healthy enough

Makes sense. I was concerned there was some hint...
by localirishfan  (2022-12-02 13:53:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...Buchner was going to get the nod ahead of Pyne which prompted him walking.

Correct- that's all I was saying
by garbageplate  (2022-12-02 13:53:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Although I certainly believe that Pyne knows we will be bringing in a transfer QB next year and he probably sees the writing on the wall.