I fail to see how they strengthen the brand by continuing
by dwjm3 (2023-06-09 14:48:52)

In reply to: Their goal is to strengthen the brand  posted by BottleofRed

to deliver mediocre football. They must have a truly unique approach to branding.

Have you seen ticket prices
by HTownND  (2023-06-09 16:54:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And our schedule?

I'm speaking about the long term
by dwjm3  (2023-06-09 17:08:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

There are plenty of people who can be milked right now. In the long haul you can't sell nostalgia to people who weren't alive to see it. Brands die in the long haul if the underlying product is mediocre.

But - but - we beat a shitty Clemson team last year!
by acrossdmiddle  (2023-06-09 19:37:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Someone will remember that!

People keep buying.
by potatohouse  (2023-06-09 15:27:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Isn't that enough? This board surely represents the most cynical and critical of us along the ND alum and fandom spectrum. And yet there were posts bemoaning the obstacles in getting tickets the minute they went on sale. If the queue was formed here, well, you get the point.

We could obviously hypothesize about how a stronger program would deliver more revenue. But when cash is already raining down so hard you can hear it on the windows, one might wonder if reaching for the hose spigot is worth getting off that comfy blue and gold couch.

Sure people keep buying for now....
by dwjm3  (2023-06-09 16:15:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But at the rate they are going there will come a time where there won't be many people alive that remember ND being good at football.

The point being I don't think they are a sustainable trajectory.

But that's the point. The powers that be, and Smarmy....
by Marine Domer  (2023-06-09 17:38:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

only focus on maximizing revenue RIGHT NOW. They don't care about legacy, and don't care much about the long term.

Then the board of trustees is failing
by dwjm3  (2023-06-09 17:43:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They need to police that behavior or Notre Dame is going drive off the cliff in the long haul.

Yep. They are slowly destroying the ND "brand."...
by Marine Domer  (2023-06-09 17:48:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We are heading towards New Coke territory.

For instance, my in laws.
by tdiddy07  (2023-06-09 16:39:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They have hosted a tailgate with their friends for every home game since I believe 1981. My father-in-law has personally attended those tailgates (and I believe attended all those games) for all but about three of those home games, excepting only the birth of my wife and a couple of weddings. He used to have access both through the monogram club and through a donation society.

At some point in the recent past, he dropped the donation society and accessed only through the monogram club. After last week, I believe he has no plans to renew his monogram club dues after 40 years. There is no point. He might as well put those funds toward secondary market ticket costs to the usually 1 game that matters. And all other games have tickets freely available.

Now they still will attend games because they've committed too much over the years to permit themselves to now say all that time was wasted. So this is a slightly different issue than the one you present. But it reflects the bigger picture. They have changed their giving habits in response to those giving habits no longer being rewarded with ticket access. And this is perhaps a bigger cause for concern in measuring alumni engagement with the university. It is quite sad. I'm sure a short-term analysis was done on maximizing year 1 revenue. But it is driving away long-term engagement and revenue.