Wait, I thought we were supposed to support fellow alums....
by crazychester (2023-06-09 16:05:33)

In reply to: I am very skeptical of this AD hire  posted by ACross

Lap dog, kiss ass....give me a break.

You can dislike the hire because it came in the same statement as Swarbrick's departure and he came from one of ND long-time partners....I get that. Moreover, you can criticize his lack of high-level sports administration experience.

At the same time this guy graduated ND with highest honors, GT Law into Davis Polk before running the sports division of CAA. From there he was the head of the PGA before moving to NBC. These are not failing up positions.

Not all alums
by ACross  (2023-06-10 17:36:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I side with alumni v the administration and against foes, external and internal. I know that there are elements at ND and always have been that are toxic. Eg, Ann Firth, Tom Streit, Mark Poor man, Bill Kirk, Blowchow, Wadsworth, Swarbrick, the lace curtains on the BOT.

I know nothing about Bevaqua. Which is a little peculiar. I expect I will know a great deal more about him soon.

Swarbrick obviously saw a lot of himself in him. Swarbrick's prioritieswere equal parts advancing himself and his kin, and currying favor with with his brethren among the Conference commissioners and ND's vendors. And that is what they are. Vendors and sponsors. Not partners. Swarbrick was never that interested in running a championship football program.

Because graduating with "honors" matters. Come on... *
by ndzippy  (2023-06-09 18:58:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

CHeck out the big brain on Zippy
by crazychester  (2023-06-10 02:41:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

yes, that's the sum total of his qualifications.

Agreed- it’s fair to criticize the process
by BigCLumber  (2023-06-09 16:18:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Criticism of the man himself is unfounded

The process was a joke based on ND's professed
by Raoul  (2023-06-09 18:15:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Standards for hiring. Now maybe there was a national search and this guy won the process. But it looks a lot like a deal crafted by Savvy on a golf course - maybe at Seminole where Pete B and Jimmy D belong - and one wonders what other guarantees and deals were made.

I think it is fair to criticize his qualifications based on the fact that he's never done the job. I'd love for Jenkins go explain to me - and I am sure he has a good explanation ready - why someone who never worked in college athletics administration should be AD.

I do think this enhances the need to have an AD of just football. Someone solely focused on its success on the field to whom the Coach and support staff report.

We’re experienced at hiring ADs with no AD experience
by Freight Train  (2023-06-09 23:06:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Rosenthal, Wadsworth, Swarbrick and Bevacqua. It’s almost like it’s part of the job description - “no prior sports administration experience preferred.”

Of course it was
by BigCLumber  (2023-06-09 20:14:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

This has been par for the course for most of ND's significant hires over the past few years, with the possible exception of Shrewsberry.

The vitriol can deservedly be pointed at ND. Not Bevacqua, a fellow alum who by all accounts has a stellar professional reputation. I certainly wouldn't call him a "lap dog kiss ass" for having the gall to accept a dream job that he was likely underqualified for.