OT: Funny line from a newsletter I read this morning
by El Kabong (2024-04-19 10:14:17)

"The two most famous USC students are OJ and Aunt Becky's daughter".

Nellie Bowles of the Free Press is a talented writer who
by zahm82  (2024-04-19 21:09:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

does her best to cover her political biases except for her absolute hatred of Trump

what I have never understood is why not just make a
by kdh325  (2024-04-19 12:16:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

donation of 500 grand to the school, have a wing of a building named after you, write it off on taxes, and then politely ask if the school would admit your child, who may have marginal credentials. I bet the institution of higher learning would possibly turn a blind eye.

Because that strategy isn't guaranteed to work.
by domer4  (2024-04-19 12:22:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And you need way more than $500,000. At least a few million, and even then that might not work.

Read the story about Varsity Blues - the "leader" of this - Rick Singer - was a genius. He knew that the football and basketball coach wouldn't be influenced (could not be bought) by a few hundred thousand dollars - but a tennis or crew coach would.

He also knew that a few hundred thousand to just the university advancement office was no quarantee. But his strategy was a guarantee - get the olympic sport coach (who needs money for himself or his program) to put down the name on the list of recruits for this year - and bingo - nearly 100% chance of acceptance.

I will always remember this line from Jack from 30 Rock
by akaRonMexico  (2024-04-19 12:15:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Fantastic. Ashamed I didn't know that existed. *
by Cash  (2024-04-19 16:40:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

impressive *
by drmurray  (2024-04-19 12:02:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Did either even graduate? *
by Raoul  (2024-04-19 11:27:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post