2024 is the year to make the leap nationally…
by wiNDycityfan (2024-04-21 11:12:08)
Edited on 2024-04-21 11:13:18

Too early to make big pronouncements, but there isn’t a single game on the schedule, for a team with our returning talent, and given our opponents’ outlook, where we go in as clear underdogs. Am I wrong?

@A&M will be the toughest for sure, but they’re coming off a lot of changes and defections. They still have enough talent to match ours, and Elko can coach, but those are big changes nonetheless. Coming out of College Station with a win, then there’s Northern Illinois, @Purdue, Miami (OH), Louisville, Stanford, Georgia Tech (@ MBS), Navy (shouldn’t matter where it is), Florida State, Virginia and Army (shouldn’t matter where it is).

Florida State has lost a lot too, yet it’s at ND Stadium. Then we close out @Southern Cal without Caleb Williams (it didn’t matter last year).

This would be Freeman’s third year. Everything is aligned to make that jump. How would that translate to in the playoffs is a different animal, but regular season-wise, there shouldn’t be major limitations as in the past few years (I.e., going on the road to Columbus, or Athens, or Death Valley- that seems to be an issue for us).

Am I reading this right?

As of now A&M is a 1.5 point favorite
by JBrock18  (2024-04-21 22:57:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Kyle Field is probably worth at least 3 pts if not more. So yes there is a chance ND could be favored in every game depending upon what occurs throughout the season. The schedule is such that undefeated should be a legitimate and attainable goal.

Good. Better for the Irish mindset. *
by Fresno MIke  (2024-04-22 11:20:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Doesn’t sound like the O-line is ready to make that happen. *
by FrMiceli  (2024-04-21 20:50:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

How good is their DL? *
by SEE  (2024-04-22 19:01:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The coaches need to figure it out
by The Oak  (2024-04-22 11:53:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

There is never a shortage of talent on the Offensive Line at Notre Dame (Ty Willingham exempted).

Elko going against his old QB worries me a bit. *
by G.K.Chesterton  (2024-04-21 17:02:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Same here. Hoping our D has an exceptional game and gives
by 2ndstreeter  (2024-04-21 18:21:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the offense the opportunities to get into a rhythm.

All of these games are winnable
by Camarillo Brillo  (2024-04-21 14:35:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Still, I would not be completely honest with myself if I didn't think there were at least two games in which Freeman will shit the bed like he did last season against Ohio State and Clemson. Or just flat get our asses kicked like Louisville, when the team clearly was not ready to play.

It’s a terrible schedule and we should go undefeated.
by Freight Train  (2024-04-21 13:06:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We’re better than every team on the schedule.

We're not better than A&M.
by austindomer  (2024-04-22 00:06:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

At best, our two programs are at parity with each other.

I know they've underperformed the last few years but A&M has the talent and the coaching to kick our ass. And don't think they haven't had this game circled on the calendar for YEARS. There are a lot of Catholics at A&M and they would like nothing more than to watch their team stomp us into the turf.

We're even with A&M. But Freeman has not proven he can beat
by 84david  (2024-04-23 10:13:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

a really good team in a true road game.

We have 3 true road games this year. A&M, USC and Purdue. My guess is we will win one or two.

Hard to figure how good they are
by Wass  (2024-04-22 12:33:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They have had a massive turnover in their roster. They've brought a bunch of very good transfers in, but have lost some serious talent. How they gel together...no one will know until they play. I think OL is the hardest group to mold into a unit. Just look at CU. Sanders got rid of his entire starting OL from last season (sort of, since they had a ton of injuries) with many of them being transfers. They were awful as a unit.

Sanders got rid of some good players
by jt  (2024-04-22 15:23:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

he got rid of OL to open up spots for skill position guys, but then he was way short on OL. One of the guys he got rid of went and started the entire year for FSU, another for UCLA, and another for Purdue. Those were serious errors in evaluation.

Their massive turnover continues, with about 20 kids recently hitting the portal and a number of current transfers on the way in. It's just awful for the game.

Sadly, I agree. *
by rgvirish  (2024-04-22 11:26:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Which means they will be unprepared for a brawl
by ram  (2024-04-21 15:28:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

With a team of equal or greater ability

Teams improve by playing tough teams

Playing MAC teams used to be beneath us
by garbageplate  (2024-04-21 14:36:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Now we play two in four weeks.

You just reminded me of Marshall…
by wiNDycityfan  (2024-04-21 20:38:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Meaning nothing on paper turns out like reality.

I'm coming up with 10-2ish
by MrE  (2024-04-21 13:24:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

@ Texas A&M 0.5
N. Illinois 0.98
@ Purdue 0.9
Miami (OH) 0.98
Louisville 0.8
Stanford 0.9
VS Georgia Tech 0.9
VS Navy  0.9
Florida St. 0.8
Virginia 0.85
VS Army  0.95
@ S. Cal 0.75

I don't know that 10-2 gets them to the playoffs with the
by DomerJon  (2024-04-22 09:17:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

schedule, unless a couple teams surprise and end up in the top 20, there just isn't much there.

Also, if Freeman goes 9-3, he should be replaced immediately.

It would be a good bookend to the past decade starting with
by Carlos Huerta  (2024-04-21 17:49:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

'15- a bunch of ten win teams that didn't accomplish much. The James E. Rohr Director of Inflated Win Totals.

Has there ever been a worse schedule?
by KHADDAFI  (2024-04-21 13:17:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Embarrassing.

yes, Michigan's 2023 season
by mmetzger  (2024-04-22 15:38:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I guess it worked out for them. I can't stand the "schedule yourself into the playoffs" mentality... however, if might be a good year for Freeman to be handed one of these schedules.

F *
by ACross  (2024-04-22 16:48:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I was clear I don't like the schedule
by mmetzger  (2024-04-23 09:59:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The point was it might turn out OK this year since apparently having a garbage schedule no longer prevents you from making the playoffs and being ranked #1.

To be VERY clear... I greatly dislike the dumbing down of the schedule orchestrated by Swarbrick/Kelly

um just scheduled into playoffs *
by NDFANOK57  (2024-04-21 18:59:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

2021 *
by DawsonMayes871  (2024-04-21 18:14:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Cincinnati was better than any team we'll play this year *
by gordonbombay  (2024-04-22 09:41:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Based on what? *
by Wass  (2024-04-22 12:34:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I don't think so. At least we can take solace knowing Jack
by SWPaDem  (2024-04-21 14:05:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

gave it his best.