If they are to be credited for success
by wearendhockey (2018-04-14 22:56:16)
Edited on 2018-04-15 12:18:02

In reply to: That freshman class scored half of the teams goals that year  posted by zahm82

in one season, they have to be held responsible for lack of it in subsequent years. The size of that class, and in my opinion the hype that accompanied them, was detrimental in following seasons. My opinion that the class was far too much of a clique and was not as welcoming to classes that followed them as the returning players in the 2010-2011 season were is shared by others.

Don't get me wrong, they were good college hockey players and weren't bad guys, I just think they were overhyped and did not live up to the hype by any stretch of the imagination. As well, 2 of those freshman had almost 2/3rds of the goals scored by freshmen, and the other 8 skaters had a third.

I'd carve Rusty out....
by BIGSKYND  (2018-04-15 10:32:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

he wasn't all that heralded beyond being "the brother of ..." at Michigan. His last year he singlehandedly drove us the final 6 weeks. But I think your overall point has some validity. I also don't think that Anders was a "clique" guy. If he had a fault at ND it was that he probably wasn't assertive and he didn't use his size as effectively as he could have. The NYI developed that by giving him decent time in the AHL.

Brian Rust should have been the captain his senior year
by wearendhockey  (2018-04-15 12:12:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and maybe his junior year. I said that repeatedly for the better part of his final two seasons. I wondered if in hindsight Jackson might even have thought that. His comments about Rust after his senior season and when he made the Penguins lead me to that conclusion.

What you said *
by BIGSKYND  (2018-04-15 13:34:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post